Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ey guys, been reading since I picked up the game. Never had a chance to sign up, college and a near full time job make it hard to have an internet presence.

So I've been mulling over this Blood Angels list, picked up some new sets, wanted to have some fun modelling/painting, etc. Problem is, I came up with what I thought was a balanced list only to realize that in my sleep deprived mania, I went over with my points, and I'm having a very tough time cutting the list down to size. I'll give you the unadulterated original list, and hopefully one or two of you can help me whittle the force down.

HQ

*Librarian in Terminator armor w/ Storm Bolter---130

Elites

*Terminator Squad w/ AssCannon & LRC---480
*Chaplain w/ Bike & Melta Bombs---140
*3 Sanguinary Priests
1 w/ JP & Power Sword
1 Corbulo
1 w/ Bike---280

Troops

*10 Man RAS I
Plasma Pistol
Thunder Hammer---235
*!0 Man RAS II
Plasma Pistol
Power Fist
Melta Bombs---235
*10 Man TSM
Plasma Cannon
Flamer
Rhino---225

Fast Attack

*Bike Squad
+1 Bike
+1 Attack Bike w/ MM
2 Melta guns---210

Heavy Support

*Devastator Squad
4 ML---140

Points 2,075

I'm only really fanatically attached to the bike units (Chappy, Bike Priest, Bike Squad) and the Terminators (in some capacity), otherwise I'm willing to make changes. One alternative I came up with, but didn't want to commit to was dropping the Libby and Chappy, and upgrading the Chappy to a Reclusiarch on a bike and have him zipping all over the place, but that seems like a recipe for further fail and a higher chance for slay the warlord than the same strategy with the Bike Chappy. I actually would have twenty five points to spare in that case, but I dunno.

Strategy wise, I was planning on having Corby, Libby, and the Termies in the LRC. JP Priest support the RAS, of course. Bike squad, supported by Bike Priest, and Chappy (Chappy could break off and support RAS as needed, mobility baby!), does mostly tank hunting. TSM gets some back/midfield action. Devs sit in back and shoot things with missiles!

My question to you all is: How do I keep the general theme of this army and still drop 75 points?

Thanks, Majorian

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that this is an upgrade from a 1500 pt. list

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
In order to drop some points I would play my RAS quite differently armed. You also have a couple things wrongly costed (if I can say that and still speak English). The way I would play the same list:

Libby - TDA, SB

Terminators - asscan, LRR

Chaplain - bike

Priest - JP, PS

Priest - bike

Corbulo

10 man RAS - 2x hand flamers, 2x flamers (JP priest goes here)

10 man RAS - 2x MG, PS

10 man Tactical - PC, Flamer, Rhino

4 man Bikes - 2x MG, MM attack bike

5 man Devastators - 4x ML

2k bang on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks it's entirely possible that I wrote the list wrong (I had intended to have a PF on the Bike Sargent; sleep deprived at time of posting). That's pretty much the list I was looking for, honestly. I just wasn't entirely sure how to keep the vs. All comers balance. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey just noticed the RAS can only have up to two flamers or three hand flamers(one on the sarge). So...yeah.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
hey just noticed the RAS can only have up to two flamers or three hand flamers(one on the sarge). So...yeah.
Your sergeant can take two hand flamers, and because of Gunslinger you can shoot them both every shooting phase.

Enjoy :eek:k:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh, yeah my bad. Whoops. Yeah I think I'll be doing that. Although I do need the Crusader and not the Redeemer because I wanna put Corbulo with the Termies.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
hahaha good call man. In that case I would drop the PC down to either a MM or ML in the Tactical squad and drop the Libby's SB to accommodate the 10 points needed to bump it back up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I would like to keep the PC just because I don't have any plasma anywhere else (was considering putting plasma guns on my bikers cause the priest is gonna be with em)

I'll try and post up a revised list tonight. I do however like the idea of a biker with a power fist, so I might tone keep melta on bikes and not put the melta with the RAS II.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I look forward to seeing the list dude. You like using a lot of different units than I so it's pretty interesting seeing the ideas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I have it. I think I'm gonna keep it this time, but who knows?

HQ
*Libby: TDA, SB-130

Elites
*TacTerms: AssCan, LRC-480
*3 Priests: Corbulo, PSword, JP, Bike-280
*Chappie: Bike, Melta Bombs-140

Troops
*10 man TSM: Flamer, PlasCan, Rhino-225
*10 man RAS: 2x Flamers, (will attach JP priest for challenges, a bit of a gamble, but I like it)
*8 man RAS: Psword, PlasPistol, Melta Bombs

Fast Attack
*4 man bike squad: Attack Bike w/MM, powerfist, 2xMG

Heavy Support
*Devs:4xML

totals out at 1999!

Strategy: Use LRC with Terms/Corbs/Libby to get center field shooting dominance. Support terms with plasma pistol RAS. Use Bikes to cover rhino advance up either flank. Last flank will be the ten man/priest RAS with devs camping backfield for fire support, possibly moving up as the situation demands. Also I have that bike chappy so he can basically zip all over the darn place to support the RASs as needed.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
(will attach JP priest for challenges, a bit of a gamble, but I like it)
If by gamble you mean you now have a WS5 model attacking at S5/AP3 on the charge, roll those dice. You have the sergeant in the unit to accept if you get stuck in against something ridiculous and need the Priest against the squad instead of in a Challenge. The dual HFs on the sergeant make this squad a lot more effective, potentially moreso that having a PP and MBs on the other squad's sergeant for the same number of points.

I have pretty much the same views on this list as I did before, and would suggest different nudges of points to accomplish very much the same thing. SO:

Have you ever considered running your Chaplain and Bike squad as a White Scar allied detachment? From what I have read, they do bikes a hell of a lot better and you have an GQ/Troops selection in your two squads. Plus it may very well be less expensive points wise since the SM dex has been updated.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Have you ever considered running your Chaplain and Bike squad as a White Scar allied detachment? From what I have read, they do bikes a hell of a lot better and you have an GQ/Troops selection in your two squads. Plus it may very well be less expensive points wise since the SM dex has been updated.
You could do this, but you would have to replace both the bike priest and the chaplain for a captain (or at least the priest, but you might as well switch both) as without them the bikes aren't troops, and the priest cannot even buff them... This would be good, though, because it gets you grav weapons if you want them, it decreases the points (allowing you to take a few more bodies), and allows for some cool relics (I really like the Teeth of Terra), plus those bikers get some very nasty buffs (+1 jink, ignores difficult terrain, +1s HoW)... Your call though. Priests are fun, but I worry that you might have too many.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Nuts. I knew you'd lose the Priest but I didn't realize it had to be a Captain on a bike to make bike squads Troops. I'd take a SM Captain with the Teeth of Terra on a bike over a BA Chaplain on a bike any day of the week if I had the models, my frame of reference for bike use comes from Ravenwing and BA attack bikes.

Now that I have been thinking about it, if I come across some bikes one day I am going to make a White Scars attachment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hand flamers just feel like a really big pointsink for just one lowly sarge, but I suppose I can do some more revising. I've just never doubled up on weapons except in my Honor Guard (alas no place for them in this list, run em with a Reclusiarch and kill troops).

Ok, don't have a copy of C:SM. But I am very very intrigued. This would certainly give me a chance to tool put my RASs a little more. JAMOB, how would you run a my list while still keeping the "feel" and a white scars detachment?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Hand flamers just feel like a really big pointsink for just one lowly sarge
Says the guy that put a plasma pistol, power sword, AND melta bombs on the other sergeant; clocking in at 15 MORE points than the dual HF :laugh:

Playtest it man. You'll be surprised at what comes from having 4 flame templates in your unit, remember each flamer gets D3 automatic hits for Overwatch as well. S3 is typically wounding on 5+ but MAN I have got some dice rolling with them.

As far as the WS allies, I would start with a Captain w/ the Teeth of Terra and a 6 man bike squad w/ 2x Grav Gun and a MM equipped attack bike. That there is 356 points, keeping your MGs instead of taking the Gravs drops it by 10 points.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well to be fair, I wasn't putting the PP on that sarge. Also the melta bombs could go anywhere, I just happen to have a assault marine with slinging a meltabomb (it looks cool and I like it lol).

I'll see what happens with the white scars set. I'll probably wait on that, but I dunno. Money and such haha.
I will have a final revision tonight after work !

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Now that I have been thinking about it, if I come across some bikes one day I am going to make a White Scars attachment.
Exactly what I did! 1 captain kitted out as you said a long with 5 bikers and 2 grav guns.

On the scars, if your friends don't mind you could just proxy them. I'm painting my bikes red anyway, as my BA are really a successor chapter.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Exactly what I did! 1 captain kitted out as you said a long with 5 bikers and 2 grav guns.
I might just convert my unpainted DV bikes to fill out a squad. I already un-DA'd my Librarian...I'd keep one of them with the big winged handlebar thing, he will invariably become the Captain w/ToT. 3 bikes and one Grav Gun to collect ain't much for an attachment, I can work that into the budget somewhere.

Do you use an Attack Bike? I feel like it's unnecessary....and the one I have not red has been base coated black, thus making it a pain in the dick to paint white.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so here's how it's shaping up. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and do the white scars attachment!

So for Primary:

HQ
*Libby TDA/SB

Elites
*TacTerms AssCan; LRC
*Sanguinary Priests 1 Corbs; other JP/PS

Troops
*TSM: Flamer;PlasCan; Rhino
*RAS I: 2x Flamers; 2xHF (JP/PS Priest here)
*RAS II: not sure likely a power ax (not calculated into final cost yet)

Heavy support
*Devs: 4x ML (not sure of the points in the C:SM might use them from there if I can get other weapons for cheaper, excuse my ignorance)

Secondary Detachment
White Scars Captain and bikes w/grav and MM Attack Bike at 356 as ntaw suggested. Sorry for not quoting, doing this on a phone...

so with the list up there I'm at 1926 points so I'm not sure what I do with the remaining 74 points. I'm kinda considering getting a techmarine as a suicidal melta delivery system, never done it myself, but it seems like a popular choice for some. Or I could slap an Ordo Malleus =][= in there, although I'm not sure what purpose that would serve.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts