Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

This is my first attempt on building a GK army. This army is mainly based on terminators, and involve a lot of CC actions. I am going to use this list at a local tourney, so I am hoping this list is competitive enough.

My army list are as follows :

HQ (205 points)

Grand Master (Daemonhammer, Psychotroke Grenades, 2 x Servo Skull)

Troops (1115 points)

Grey Knight Terminator Squad "Invictus" (Psybolt, MC Halberd, 1 x Sword, 4 x Halberd, 2 x Hammer, 1 x Falchion, 2 x Psycannon)
Grey Knight Terminator Squad "Redemptor" (Psybolt, MC Halberd, 1 x Sword, 4 x Halberd, 2 x Hammer, 1 x Brotherhood Banner, 2 x Psycannon)
Grey Knight Strike Squad "Corvus" (Psybolt, 1 x Hammer, 3 x Halberd, 1 x Psycannon)

Fast Attack (410 points)

Stormraven Gunship (TL MM, TL LC)
Stormraven Gunship (TL MM, TL PC)

Heavy Support (270 points)

Dreadnought (2 x TL AC, Psybolt)

Total points : 2000 points

My planned tactics are as follows :

- The terminator squad "Invictus" will combat squad, and each will use the Stormravens. The grand master will join them.
- The grandmaster will be greatly involved in the fight, and will help the fight become easier by using Psychothroke grenades.
- Squad "Redemptor" will arrive by deep strike, to the areas that are secured with Grand Master's servo skull, to reduce the scatter distance.
- Both Storm Raven will move flat out to engage the enemy. The GM will use Psychic Communion as necessary, to delay or expedite the arrival of Squad "Redemptor".
- After delivering the terminators, the Stormraven will attempt to destroy enemy tanks or enemy MEQ units.
- The strike squad will sit back at the nearest objective.
- Both Dreadnoughts will provide support fire from long range.
- The GM will use Shield of Blade to give counter-attack to the terminators.
- All squads will carry hammer, as an insurance against MC's or tanks/walkers.

Some weakness (that I can think of) :
- This list seriously lacks AT capabilities
- This list will struggle against much focused CC armies, such as BA, Tyranids, or CSM.
- This list lacks armoured units.

Some considerations :
- I don't use Brotherhood banner, because I plan to combat squad the terminators.

A lot of corrections/suggestions/critics will be greatly appreciated! :grin:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Never force something upon yourself. You dont HAVE to give your guys counter attack. You can if it sounds tactically sound but always reserve the right no change your mind

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never force something upon yourself. You dont HAVE to give your guys counter attack. You can if it sounds tactically sound but always reserve the right no change your mind
You are right. It depends on the tactical situation and the enemy disposition also. Any thoughts on the army list?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Grand Master is better with Sword for the "3+ Inv. Save" in CC or the Halberd for getting advantage of "Iniciative 7".

If you want a Grand Master with Hammer, choose Mordark and his "Ghost" retinue.

I recommend you eliminating the "big templates" (vindicator, demolisher, plasma people...) in first place as they are going to hurt you a lot and with the few numbers you have in the army, you´re going to suffer a lot if one of them hits you.

Just a question, how many dudes are in the Strike Squad??

Apart from that, good luck!!:victory:

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Grand Master is better with Sword for the "3+ Inv. Save" in CC or the Halberd for getting advantage of "Iniciative 7".

If you want a Grand Master with Hammer, choose Mordark and his "Ghost" retinue.

I recommend you eliminating the "big templates" (vindicator, demolisher, plasma people...) in first place as they are going to hurt you a lot and with the few numbers you have in the army, you´re going to suffer a lot if one of them hits you.

Just a question, how many dudes are in the Strike Squad??

Apart from that, good luck!!:victory:
I think I agree with you, so I think I will replace the Daemonhammer with the Halberd. They have the same cost, though.

In my list, I put 5 men (including the Justicar) in my Strike Squad.

What do you think about the competitiveness of my list?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Since you want redemptor in CC (based on the banner), I would maybe change the commander's halberd to a sword (still going to go first most of the time), both servo skulls, both MC weapons, and a falchion - which will give you enough points to put a teleport homer on each Stormraven. Then you can put your guys exactly where you want them (to support one of the melee squads, to get rear hits on vehicles, contest objectives, etc). The down side is that is that it might make your Stormravens a higher priority target, but it also means less lascannons aimed at your terminators...

Also, While I like the GM, and I know the grenades are cool, you might be able to get more functionality out of a librarian. If the best GM power you can get is counter attack (since you may not be able to make the dreads scoring and nothing will benefit from scout), you may be wasting the points... A Librarian could give your Stormraven a 3+ save for moving flat out, protect your front line from psykers, better vehicle penetration in melee, and a few other things that I think are better than counter attack. (It seems to me that when I played eldar there was some reason you couldn't move flat out and cast psyker power, but I may be thinking of turbo-boosting jet bikes)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think your list can be more competitive with some changes:

Librarian with Teleporting Beacon, Warding Staff, Shrouding, Sanctuary, Might of Titan, Quickening --> 220 points

The Librarian is vital for getting things on the right side and psychic defenses. The Warding Staff is expensive but in this list it worths its points as he will be safe and nobody will want "voluntarily" design attacks against him.

Ordo Xenos "Psyker" Inquisitor with 3 Servoskulls, Blind Grenades, Rad Grenades, Psychoke Grenades --> 99 points

A cheaper Grand Master and all its abilities. He goes with the other combat-squad Termies.

10 Terminator Squad: Brotherhood Banner, 7 Halberds, 2 Hammers, 2 Psycannons, Justicar Thawn --> 550 points

This squad will make "Deep Strike" and with the help of the Servoskulls and the beacon of the Librarian you can get them where you want. I think Thawn is VITAL as it let you cast "Hammerhand" and (autocast cause of the banner) "psychic weapons".
If you are able to put the Inquisitor with them, you´ll have a nice hard-hitting unit.

The best of this unit is that if Thawn "dies", you have an additional "scoring unit" so you have 4 scoring units in this game. Don´t forget you can "assign the wound" for him so he can die and revive. :wink::wink:

10 Terminator Squad: 8 Halberds, 2 Hammers, 2 Psycannons --> 450 points

You "combat-squad" these guys and put them in both Stormravens.

Stormraven with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Twin-Linked Multi-Melta --> 205 points

Stormraven with Twin-Linked Lascannon and Twin-Linked Multi-Melta --> 205 points

Put them in reserve if you don´t get Turn 1 or the enemy will put its firepower on them and "Fortune" don´t save you from a Inmovibilized or worse results.

Dreadnought with 2 x Twin-Linked Autocannon and Psybolt --> 135 points

4 x Strength 8 with re-roll to hit for each Dreadnought gives you the Anti-Tank and the long-range firepower you need and it will give some air to the Stormravens.

The "Nemesis" of this list is all that interfere with psychic powers: "Psychic Hoods", "Eldar Farseers" and "Synaptic Creatures".
Deal with them as well as with the big templates and everything should be OK.

Don´t forget to "Rep +" :biggrin::biggrin:

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think your list can be more competitive with some changes:

Librarian with Teleporting Beacon, Warding Staff, Shrouding, Sanctuary, Might of Titan, Quickening --> 220 points

The Librarian is vital for getting things on the right side and psychic defenses. The Warding Staff is expensive but in this list it worths its points as he will be safe and nobody will want "voluntarily" design attacks against him.

Ordo Xenos "Psyker" Inquisitor with 3 Servoskulls, Blind Grenades, Rad Grenades, Psychoke Grenades --> 99 points

A cheaper Grand Master and all its abilities. He goes with the other combat-squad Termies.

10 Terminator Squad: Brotherhood Banner, 7 Halberds, 2 Hammers, 2 Psycannons, Justicar Thawn --> 550 points

This squad will make "Deep Strike" and with the help of the Servoskulls and the beacon of the Librarian you can get them where you want. I think Thawn is VITAL as it let you cast "Hammerhand" and (autocast cause of the banner) "psychic weapons".
If you are able to put the Inquisitor with them, you´ll have a nice hard-hitting unit.

The best of this unit is that if Thawn "dies", you have an additional "scoring unit" so you have 4 scoring units in this game. Don´t forget you can "assign the wound" for him so he can die and revive. :wink::wink:

10 Terminator Squad: 8 Halberds, 2 Hammers, 2 Psycannons --> 450 points

You "combat-squad" these guys and put them in both Stormravens.

Put them in reserve if you don´t get Turn 1 or the enemy will put its firepower on them and "Fortune" don´t save you from a Inmovibilized or worse results.

4 x Strength 8 with re-roll to hit for each Dreadnought gives you the Anti-Tank and the long-range firepower you need and it will give some air to the Stormravens.

The "Nemesis" of this list is all that interfere with psychic powers: "Psychic Hoods", "Eldar Farseers" and "Synaptic Creatures".
Deal with them as well as with the big templates and everything should be OK.

Don´t forget to "Rep +" :biggrin::biggrin:
+ rep.

By replacing the GM, I will lose the Psybolt on my Termies, but I think it is good enough for me. Any powers I should consider for the Librarian? Also, in the list you advised, I will lost a strike squad, which I intend to be used to secure the first objective. Any suggestions on that? I think on 2k if you have only 2 troop choices you will struggle on "objective" missions.

Thanks a lot! :biggrin:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I forgot to put the final touch. :headbutt:

Total: 1999 points

22 Miniatures, 4 Vehicles
Scoring: 2 - 4 (+1 for Thawn when he "revives")
Killing Points: 8 - 9

You can combat squad both units of Terminators so you can have 4 scoring units. You have another one thx to Thawn and his "regenerative" abilities for a total of 5 scoring units.
In my case, i´ll keep it 3 scoring units (the 10-Terminator Squad with Banner + 2 x 5 Terminator Squad in each Stormraven) + 1 extra for Thawn for a total of 4 scoring units.

I try to keep as much of the original list as possible but some changes was needed to make a better "sinergy" within units.

The powers for the Librarian are the ones i write:

Shrouding: For getting "3+ Cover Save" cause of max. speed.

Sanctuary: For making "dangerous and difficult terrain tests" when the enemy tries to assault.

Might of Titan: +1 Strength and +1D6 for penetrating armour is just too cool for letting it go. Don´t forget to use Hammerhand (S6 + 2D6)

Quickening: Iniciative 10 can useful but it´s secondary since you have halberds but against Slaaneshi Daemon Princes, Daemonettes, Genestealers... can save you the day.
If you want, you can change it for "Breach on the Warp" (the flamer template).

The loss of the Strike Squad is a small sacrifice but it will be a sacrifice to let in the list as it is something really easy to kill.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Grand Strategy is awesome but it isn´t the end of the word if you don´t include it.

The Codex is big enough to give the Grand Master a small vacation. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions, mate.

After reviewing the suggestions, my army lists are as follows :

HQ (314 points)
Librarian (Nemesis Warding Stave, Teleport Homer, Might of Titan, Quicksilver, Sanctuary, Shrouding)
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (Force Sword, Servo skull x 3, Rad Grenade, Psychotroke Grenade, Psyker - Psychic Communion)

Troops (1005 points)

Grey Knight Terminator Squad (Justicar Thawn, 6 x Halberd, 2 x Psycannon, 2 x Daemonhammer, 1 x Brotherhood Banner)
Grey Knight Terminator Squad (6 x Halberd, 2 x Psycannon, 2 x Daemonhammer, 1 x Falchion, 1 x Sword)

Fast Attack (410 points)

Heavy Support (270 points)

I agree with Valdor that the scoring units should be kept into 3, while the squad of Brotherhood Banner will arrive by deep strike, squad with no banner will be in combat squads. The question I would like to ask is on what unit the Librarian and the Inquisitor will join?

The Librarian will join with Thawn, so they can deepstrike. The problem with these is the Librarian can't protect the Stormraven during their flat-out, so the power The Shrouding become useless. The Inquisitor can't join the deepstriking squad, because he got no terminator armor. Any suggestions on this matter?

Thanks alot for your advices!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think you didn't get the full idea of the list i've written for you:

Librarian GOES in the Stormraven, so he can use "Shrouding" in both Stormravens in Turn 1. If you don't go first, you put them back in the line and far from their long range (trust me, it's possible to nullify/minimize almost to 0% the enemy shooting in Turn 1)

The Inquisitor GOES in the other Stormraven and with his grenades, he will make the fight easier.

All Terminators MUST have Halberds or Daemonhammer. You don't need more attacks (Falcions) or better save (Sword) if there's no enemy to return the attack. :grin::grin:

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you didn't get the full idea of the list i've written for you:

Librarian GOES in the Stormraven, so he can use "Shrouding" in both Stormravens in Turn 1. If you don't go first, you put them back in the line and far from their long range (trust me, it's possible to nullify/minimize almost to 0% the enemy shooting in Turn 1)

The Inquisitor GOES in the other Stormraven and with his grenades, he will make the fight easier.

All Terminators MUST have Halberds or Daemonhammer. You don't need more attacks (Falcions) or better save (Sword) if there's no enemy to return the attack. :grin::grin:
So, to sum up (please do correct me :biggrin:)

• First Terminator Squad will be combat squad. Half of them will go with the Librarian, and half of them (with the psycannon) will hold the nearest objective. Then they will ride the Storm Raven.
  • The Inquisitor will ride in the other Storm Raven, alone.
  • When near the enemy line, using Psychic Communion the arrival time of my reserve can be timed. After arriving from Deep Strike, Justicar Thawn and his squads will be joined by the Inquisitors.
Some considerations :

My army lacks firepower, as in 2k I can only bring 4 x TL AC, and 2 x LC, which is very small. Should I increase my firepower, at the expense of reducing my assault/CC force, or should I just focus on the CC?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you are going to to combat squad, I would not take the banner. Also, you have 10 weapons listed for your squad, +Thrawn, +a banner. It might just be the way you layed it out, but you can't take a weapon for thrawn, and the guy with the banner cannot take any weapon (which is why I don't see alot of reason to take it, except maybe in a maxed-non combat squaded unit)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know what the other guy intended, but if I was going to deploy your army, I would drop the banner, and then I would combat squad your 10 termies. I would put 5 in each transport, and a HQ in each transport.

I would move both transports flatout, and use PotMS to destroy 1-2 vehicles with the MM. I would put the other squad (of 6) on an objective. Since they are shooting, maybe give them psybolt ammo from the points from the banner (not sure if it is worth it for 4 models, but you'll have the points and they will be shooting most of the game).

Then on your enemies turn, make sure you remember to shroud and cast sanctuary - both of which will help your stormravens survive.

Then on turn 2, assault out of each stormraven, and have the ravens go tank hunting (You could leave your librarian in - so that you can move flat out and get 3+ cover save every turn. If you do that, drop the staff and take summoning instead)

Also, unless you want to keep the unit of 6 deep-striking (which is not a bad idea), you don't need teleport homer or psychic communion - Your entire army, except 1 unit, has transports, so that's alot of points to sink in an ability you are not likely to use).

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you are going to to combat squad, I would not take the banner. Also, you have 10 weapons listed for your squad, +Thrawn, +a banner. It might just be the way you layed it out, but you can't take a weapon for thrawn, and the guy with the banner cannot take any weapon (which is why I don't see alot of reason to take it, except maybe in a maxed-non combat squaded unit)
The banner has it's purpose. Not only it increase the attack of all models in the unit by 1, it could also activate the banner, that imo would be useful or even mandatory against certain army (i.e. Tyranids). But Himkano's right, you should never take the banner for combat squad, which is why I think the OP intended not to combat squad Thawn's squad

I don't know what the other guy intended, but if I was going to deploy your army, I would drop the banner, and then I would combat squad your 10 termies. I would put 5 in each transport, and a HQ in each transport.

I would move both transports flatout, and use PotMS to destroy 1-2 vehicles with the MM. I would put the other squad (of 6) on an objective. Since they are shooting, maybe give them psybolt ammo from the points from the banner (not sure if it is worth it for 4 models, but you'll have the points and they will be shooting most of the game).

Then on your enemies turn, make sure you remember to shroud and cast sanctuary - both of which will help your stormravens survive.

Then on turn 2, assault out of each stormraven, and have the ravens go tank hunting (You could leave your librarian in - so that you can move flat out and get 3+ cover save every turn. If you do that, drop the staff and take summoning instead)
I think that is a good plan for the other squad, the Thawn's squad should still deep strike and not combat squad-ed

I have a question for this list tho...

if say we are in an objective game, who will be sitting at the base with the "free" objective?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The list was made to combat-squad the second unit and Thawn and the other squad should be made a teleport/foot attack depending on the mission/opponent.

The 5-men Terminator Squad will go in each Stormraven, one with the Librarian and giving a safe teleport place for thawn (thx to the teleport beacon of the librarian) and the other 5-men Terminator Squad will go with the Inquisitor.

When Thawn and his mates arrives (hope in Turn 2 or Turn 3 with the help of the Inquisitor), they will be joined by the Inquisitor and/or the Librarian.

About the objectives, you have the Stormravens and Dreadnoughts to contest objectives. The victory is having just 1 more objective than the enemy so you get one and contest the rest.:gimmefive::gimmefive:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have other ideas. How if I replace the Psycannon in the second squad with Incinerators, remove Thawn and the Inquisitor, and then put a Grand Master with Psychothroke Grenade in?
nice idea imho
you could use Grand strategy to turn one of the Psyrifle dread as troop, and with the new FAQ, it also counts as scoring unit :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts