Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello people,

A friend of mine who has been playing a few months wants a FT list, I put this together for him but I'm not 100% sure myself. Anyone see any issues or better ideas etc? I've left DC out since he's said he's not a fan of Rage and wants a fairly straight forward army :)

HQ

Seth

Captain
- Lightning Claws
- Jump Pack

Honour Guard
- Jump Packs
- Chapter Banner
- Power Fist

ELITE

Furioso Dreadnought
- Extra Armour
- Blood Talons
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod

Sanguinary Priest (to go with JP RAS)
- Jump Pack

Sanguinary Priest (to go with Seth)

TROOPS

Assault Squad
Sergeant
- Bolt pistol & Power Fist
9 Marines
- Meltagun x 2
- Jump Packs

Assault Squad
Sergeant
7 Marines
- Meltagun x 1
Dedicated Transport: Rhino

Tactical Squad
Sergeant
9 Marines
- Meltagun x 1
- Missile Launcher

HEAVY

Predator
- Autocannon
- Lascannon Sponsons

Dreadnought
- Extra Armour
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta

Dreadnought
- Extra Armour
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta

Circa 2000: I think there are about 5 to 9 points left for search lights or something.

Cheers
Dallas

·
Registered
648 Posts
You've got quite the mix of units coming in. DPs are guaranteed to come in turn 1 and with no support they will do their thing and most likely die horribly. Then the JPs come in turn 2, probably the Rhinos too. Seems like everything is coming in parts and parcels, making target selection easier for your opponent.

With Seth, I'd just go all mech with maybe a few packers scattered about. Stick him with the HG (they are equipped to kill tough stuff, Seth nails weaklings) in a Rhino and roll a couple RAS and maybe DC or Sternguard in Rhinos/Razors. Add flying Dreads, AC/LC Preds to shoot, and maybe some JP RAS or VV to give you a little extra mobile support and you should be all set.

I'm still tinkering with my FT Stormraven army. It's a pain fitting those big birds in >,<

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would drop the meltas in the RAS for infernus as your only losing attacks with guns. Also you should be close enough with those JPs to pop some tanks.

I'd also drop the dreads for some lib furiosos for more flying fun.

Have to agree with chumbles on Seth aswell; if you put him in a killy unit, everything you assault will die... maybe assault termies??

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I would definitely keep the Meltaguns as if you decide to DS them then you can use them on the turn your arrive, melta some tanks. I find Infernus pistols totally useless, you have to be within 3" to get the melta effect which mean you definitely wont be using it when you arrive. You only lose 1 attack for each one so it's no big deal I don't think.

Aramoro

·
Registered
670 Posts
Firstly I do not see the point in the captain. The captain is just a melee unit, which seth is anyway. You want another HQ consider a benefit unit i.e chaplain or librarian which benefits the army or unit.

Not a fan of honour guard. They're fluffy really and that's about it. I'd drop these tbh.

Nice setup on the furioso; though I'd try taking two. A magna grapple can be fun as it can cause a hit and drag that vehicle over so you can assault it better. A S6 furioso with blood talons will still damage it.

Also I'm sure you're aware and it's the way your list is laid out but you can take 3 sanguinary guard per elite slot ;)

Troops are fine, not a fan of losing the jump packs as you have descent of the angels as a army wide special rule, plus you can assault with the packs.

Heavy support is all fine.

I think you may or may not have problems with the pods. You've got two coming in aggressively, you'll possibly do some damage but those dreads only need a melta shot each and they're disposed off. You will then have the furioso come down unsupported, possibly, and that will suffer the same fate. The thing with drop pods you need about 5 of them to work delivering multiple threats at once. Not the odd one or two and then the rest come in from reserve piecemeal.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments people, much appreciated. I haven't had time to get on here lately as I've just adopted two ferrets who are getting used to their new home :grin:

I'm running the same theme, just swapped things about. Here is the latest...

HQ

Reclusiarch

Instead of Seth, he gives such good synergy to the DC making them mean as hell, plus he's cheaper.

Librarian
- Hand Flamer
- Unleash Rage & Blood Lance

Psychic defence and gives the other squad of RAS in the Rhino a similar melee punch with Unleash Rage. Can also shoot Blood Lance out of the Rhino replacing the missing second melta gunner. Flamer just because I had points left over.

ELITE

Furioso Dreadnought
- Extra Armour
- Blood Fists
- Heavy Flamer
- Magna Grapple

Furioso Dreadnought
- Extra Armour
- Blood Fists
- Heavy Flamer
- Magna Grapple

Two AV13 monsters to pod down together. Designed to draw fire away from my main force but also a serious alpha strike threat: 2 x S8 AP1 melta & 2 x S8 AP2 grapple. Then if they are alive they assault...

Sanguinary Priest
- Jump Pack

Sanguinary Priest

One elites choice, one for each RAS to give them FC/FNP.

TROOPS

Assault Squad
Sergeant
7 Marines
-Meltagun x 1

Assault Squad
Sergeant
9 Marines
-Meltagun x 2
- Jump Packs

Death Company
7 DC
- Power Fist
- Power Weapon x 2

Tooled up to take anything on. Math-hammer wise these guys 'should' handle most elites if they can get into assault. Once they're unleashed on their target & do their job I'll be happy for them to run wild - fun too!

DC Dreadnought
- Blood Talons

If the rest of the force has done its job then I'm hoping that when this guy comes in - turns 3-5 there'll be a lot of 'soft' targets around for him to tear to pieces. His fleet also ensures that he can run down most footslogging units.

Tactical Squad
Sergeant
9 Marines
-Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

Objective holders. If I combat squad them then the 5 man with fist and melta will rush up with the DC & RAS too.

HEAVY

Predator
Lascannon Sponsons

Some shooting.

TOTAL: 1999

Cheers,
Dallas

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
the second list is better, IMO, though you lose some effectiveness by having a single Las Pred. on the board.

it could survive and be effective, but it's chancy to me.

you do have anti-tank covered pretty well, even though it's mostly short range.

i'd consider taking two AC Preds, just for having two cheap distractions on the board and putting the hurt on light armor to help your assault units out.

good hunting.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Dallas your second list is looking a lot better.

The HQ choices are both sound. What I don't think fits is the jump pack assault squad. You've got a mix of rhinos and drop pods; which I guess would work. But just one jump pack squad? Sure you can screen it but it will get shot to hell. You need two for unit redundancy, but more target saturation. You do need another predator for ranged support however, but after a read of Steleks article I'd go auto/las dreadnought as you're paying for the fast predator but sitting still - take two of this dreadnought config btw ;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'd make those Furiosos Librarians so you can cast Blood Lance or Shield of Sanguinius upon landing.

The random jump pack unit does stand out. I'd just go for more Rhino squads with melta.

I'd also drop the Pred and look into a pair of Rifleman (dual TLAC) Dreads to help nail transports.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Argh, sorry guys I wrote a quoted individual reply to all of you but my router is turning into skynet & doing whatever it wants, including dropping my connection just as I click 'post reply'.

Basically, I thanked you all & said the following...

If I swapped the two Furiosos out for the Dreads below, that would save me 250 points, what about this:

Drop Furiosos & the Librarian's Hand flamer, then add;

- 1 x Dual TLAC Dread
- 1 x TLLC & ML Dread
- 3 x MM Attack Bikes

Would that be any better? Bit less fluffy & it pains me to drop the Furiosos as they were the first things on my army list.

I'd have to run the DC dread on foot, but I guess that would be quite good fun (fan of CSM dreads - lol) and with NCSMW it could take a lot of firepower to stop...

Thoughts?

Dallas

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think the Furiosos would be just fine, though I prefer Libbies for Wings or DC for fleet and ignoring shaken/stunned.

Rifleman Dreads are always good, but the Attack Bikes could run into problems with S8+ weapons ignoring FNP and insta-killing them.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Chumbalaya!

OK, I have made changes - found a way to get my FW Land Raider in there, a model I love but often don't field... I have two lists to choose from; the question is, which one do I take?

A:

Reclusiarch

Librarian
- Unleash Rage, Blood Lance

Sanguinary Priests x 2

Assault Squad (Librarian's unit)
Sergeant
- Bolt pistol & Power Weapon
7 Marines
-Meltagun x 1

Assault Squad
Sergeant
8 Marines
-Meltagun x 1

Death Company
8 DC
- Power Fist
- Power Weapon x 3
Dedicated Transport: Land Raider (Godhammer)
- Extra Armour

DC Dreadnought
- Blood Talons

Tactical Squad
Sergeant
9 Marines
-Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

Dreadnought
- Twin linked Autocannon x 2

Dreadnought
- Twin linked Autocannon x 2

Predator
- Lascannon Sponsons

B:

Reclusiarch
- Melta Bombs

Librarian
- Unleash Rage, Blood Lance

Sanguinary Priests x 2

Furioso
- Extra Armour
- Heavy Flamer
- Drop Pod

Furioso
- Extra Armour
- Heavy Flamer
- Drop Pod

Assault Squad (Librarian's unit)
Sergeant
- Bolt pistol & Power Weapon
7 Marines
- Meltagun x 1

Assault Squad
Sergeant
8 Marines
- Meltagun x 1

Death Company
7 DC
- Power Fist
- Power Weapon x 2
Dedicated Transport: Land Raider (Godhammer)
- Extra Armour

DC Dreadnought
- Blood Talons
- Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
Sergeant
9 Marines
- Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

A is probably more solid but B is fluffier. I could run both but it would be nice to hear people's thoughts!

Thanks,
Dallas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts