1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
+++ New Roster (1995pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1995pts) ++

+ HQ (610pts) +

Legion Praetor (610pts) [Archaeotech Pistol, Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Master of the Legion, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade, Refractor Field, Volkite Charger]
····Legion Command Squad [4x Combat Shield, Land Raider Proteus, 4x Legion Space Marine Chosen, Legion Standard Bearer, Melta Bombs, 4x Power Weapon]

+ Troops (765pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (265pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad (265pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (235pts) [9x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Calivers]
····Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolter and Augury Scanner, Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (345pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (140pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (205pts)
····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon]

+ Fast Attack (275pts) +

Legion Seeker Squad (275pts) [9x Legion Seeker Space Marines]
····Legion Strike Leader [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [III: Emperor's Children]

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Ermm, Nacho. I would edit out the individual points cost, description of the rules and the profiles. Just post the bear bones list with a final points cost for each unit and you should be ok. I'll have a look over this later today too

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ermm, Nacho. I would edit out the individual points cost, description of the rules and the profiles. Just post the bear bones list with a final points cost for each unit and you should be ok. I'll have a look over this later today too
Yeah I thought so, sorry about that.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Ok, so I've got a few thoughts. For one, when I do the calculations I get your points list totaling 2055 points, not 1995. But this list is quite jumbled so maybe I'm just struggling to read it.

Onto the actual units.

I'm wary that, of a 2000 points list you have 660 points (that's what I get when I buy the same upgrades anyway, but maybe my maths is off), so just under a 3rd, of your points in your HQ unit. That seems very risky to me. You've bought a Praetor but you aren't using any Rite of War so I question why you would necessarily bring him. Sure the Paragon Blade is nice, but if that's all you're buying him for then he's really over-costed. Plus I've never thought of command squads as particularly spectacular.

At this juncture I think you have 2 options, and it depends on what you want. If you want a combat unit to wreck shit, I would ditch this entire unit and instead buy a Chaplain with Artificer Armour, a Boarding Shield, Melta Bombs and Sonic Shriekers, a unit of 9 Palatine Blades with Phoenix Spears and an Anvillus Drop Pod. That'll all cost 520 points, saving you 90/140 points (depending on which of us did our maths right). It also guarantees turn 2 assault, the phoenix spears give you far more attacks at initiative with AP 2 than you were getting before and the Chaplain helps them make the most of their attacks. It'll ruin most unit's day.

The other option still involves you ditching this unit, but instead you buy just cheap and cheerful Centurion (I go for Artificer Armour, Boarding Shield, Phoenix Spear and Sonic Shriekers for 95 points) to fill out your HQ slot and then use the rest of the points to bulk out the rest of your list, which considering your startling lack of AA/anti-tank you really need.

The two tactical squads are fine, that's pretty much how I'd roll them. You could beef up the sergeants, but given that I'm assuming your Apothecaries are going to be your challengers you don't technically need to. Although, if you lose the challenge it also means you lose your squad-wide FnP so maybe it'd be a better idea to beef up your sergeants if you are going to and then if they die all you've lost is 1 Ld, not a pseudo-invulnerable save.

One thing to note on the tactical support squad is that I'm fairly certain the sergeant has to have a special weapon too, so that might be where some of your points went missing. As for the unit, I would be tempted to ditch it and buy a heavy support squad with volkite culverins. You get the same number of shots and it's 50 points cheaper (with no upgrades on the sergeant) than your support squad. Sure it's got less men so it can potentially die quicker, but with the increased range you can keep them safely out of the range of most weapons, and those you are in range of are mostly anti-tank so probably won't be shooting them much anyway.

As I said before, I wouldn't make the apothecaries your challengers because if their flop then you've lost your FnP save too, on top of all the other penalties we incur for losing challenges. Plus, sergeants can have AP 2 if they like (in the form of power axes/fists/phoenix spears) if you want it. Artificer armour is a good shout. Augury scanners can be useful too.

As for the contemptor, since you've only got 1 and it's rocking duel Kheres Assault Cannons, there is no reason for it not to be a Contemptor Mortis. For one it's 25 points cheaper for the same load-out. Another thing is that if it doesn't move it gains Skyfire and Interceptor, giving you at least some measure of AA.

As for the Seeker unit...I find them to be over costed. I'm also not particularly sure what they add to this list. You already have a load of anti-infantry units, so it's not like you need more of them. I suppose the Scorpius rounds can harm light tanks but other than that, for 275 points, what are they giving you? I would bin them personally.

So, if we assume you take the combat unit I mentioned earlier, ditch the Seeker squad, make the contemptor a contemptor mortis and make the support squad a heavy weapons squad, we have 465 points to play with.

With that I would buy:

- Another apothecary to sit with the heavy weapons team and give them more staying power
- Sicaran battle tank with lascannon sponsons for medium tank duty
- Artificer Armour and Phoenix Spear on the tactical sergeants to tank challenges which they have to issue.

All that done you'd have 180 points left to spend, and there are a variety of options. You could get another Sicaran (because you can never have enough really), although you'll probably still struggle with AV 14. You could get some outriders with melta-guns, which would be able to deal with AV 14, but only as long as they live. However, turbo-boosting an jink can work wonders. Alternatively you can shave 5 points off and run a unit of veterans with melta-bombs and tank hunters and they can blow stuff up that way. I'll leave that choice up to you.

Of course there are totally different lists you could run that would deal with high AV tanks better, but in an effort to keep the soul of you list as it is those are the changes I'd make.

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+++ 1850 Pre Heresy EC (1850pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1850pts) ++

+ HQ (150pts) +

Legion Centurion (150pts) [Artificer Armour, Pheonix Spear, Power Fist, Refractor Field, Sonic Shrieker]
····Consul [Legion Champion]

+ Troops (570pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (285pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Pheonix Spear]

Legion Tactical Squad (285pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Pheonix Spear]

+ Elites (895pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (120pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner]
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (205pts) [Extra Armour, Havoc Launcher, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (210pts) [Extra Armour, Havoc Launcher, Two Twin-linked Lascannons]

Palatine Blade Squad (360pts) [9x Palatine Warrior, 9x Pheonix Spear, Sonic Shriekers]
····Palatine Prefector [Melta Bombs, Pheonix Spear]

+ Fast Attack (100pts) +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (100pts)

+ Heavy Support (135pts) +

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (135pts)

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [III: Emperor's Children]

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Ok, so looking at that list it is much more balanced, although are you now doing only 1850?

In any case, the havoc launcher on your lascannon mortis is pointless really. It is designed to target a totally different type of target to the lascannons so you either won't use it or waste the lascannons. I'm also convinced Extra Armour is a waste of points on the mortis contemptors. All it does is means you can move, but you still can't shoot and since these dreads are pulling gun line duty it doesn't help them. If it were on a transport or something they it'd be useful, but on these guys no. I'd bin it.

Secondly, what is your theory with the consul? The legion champion upgrade is paying 35 points for WS 6, which isn't worth it. Really tactically, he could or should be a chaplain if you are going to make him a consul, since he's running with a combat unit and he adds the most then. But maybe you want a fluffy Emperors Children Consul?

Also, why does he have a power fist?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts