Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts, criticisms or comments on the following please?

Reclusiarch (with DC)

Librarian (with 8 man RAS)
- Shield, Lance

Sanguinary Priest (with 8 man RAS)

Furioso Dreadnought
- Extra Armour
- Blood Talons
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod

Furioso Dreadnought
- Extra Armour
- Blood Talons

Assault Squad
Sergeant
- Bolt pistol & Power Fist
7 Marines
-Meltagun x 1
Dedicated Transport: Rhino

Assault Squad
Sergeant
5 Marines
Dedicated Transport: Razorback
- Twin Linked Assault Cannon

Tactical Squad
Sergeant
9 Marines
-Meltagun x 1
- Missile Launcher

Death Company
6 DC
- Power Fist
- Power Weapon x 3
- Extra Armour

DC Dreadnought
- Blood Talons
- Drop Pod

3 Attack Bikes
- Multi Melta

3 Attack Bikes
- Multi Melta

TOTAL: 1997

·
Registered
66 Posts
I kind of like it, I'm not sure how well the attack bikes will do, (I've never used them before or seem them played.) How well do you think this list will do on horde armies? You seem perfectly equipped for a mechanical army, but how would you handle the hordes?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Narik.

Against Hordes I think it would do fairly well; whether it does or not is another thing. This list has (a) unit(s) dedicated to mech (attack bikes) and horde (dreads), both are very reliable so I'll have to see.

The bikes are going to be running within 6'' of the Priest for FNP and the Librarian will try to cast Shield for a 5+ too. I've got to have at least 1 or 2 survive and it's hard when people bring Hydras and the like which decidedly screw fast/skimmer type platforms.

As for the anti-horde; well, I originally ran 2 x rifle dreads and a Land Raider but after getting comprehensively beaten by Tyranids I changed the list. I found that the one thing that worked was my DC dread with talons, it simply owned anything it got into melee with, including MCs, by turn 5 it'd chalked up: 1 Tervigon, 40 odd gaunts, a dakkfex and some other stuff - only a Hive Tyrant can threaten the DC dread in melee since it's almost always hitting first, not to mention that S7 Blood Talons = dead bug. My opponent, who is very capable, simply couldn't deal with it, especially on the charge. Eventually he got immobilized in turn 5 by Hive Guard with their ignore cover saves S8 spike guns (don't know the names as I don't play Nids) but it took all 8 of their fire pretty much from turn 1 - NCSMW is very useful, as is an unlucky opponent!

So, after that (even though I lost) I came away with a renewed respect for talon dreads, not just because the rest of my army did decidedly average but due to the sheer kill they can put out - no doubt he will have a big red target on his sarcophagus next time we play, so I decided to drop the rifle dreads and add in another 2 talon dreads (furiosos this time due to DC limits). 1 talon dread is a pain but 3 is deadly.

I will be relying on those dreads to get in there and kill all the things my RAS & DC can't, things like bonesword/lash whip primes, Genestealers and other nasty things. Orks are a different prospect but I don't think they'll be too much different except that I'm not as afraid in melee against Orks, I'll just have to watch out for Klaw Nobs & Kans etc...

Dallas

·
Registered
361 Posts
Since you are going with full sized Attack Bike squadrons I'd suggest de-upgrading one of them, in each unit, back to the Heavy Bolter. That will give you a large boost in AP firepower and a cheaper sacrificial unit where required. I've always been a big fan of ABs because they can lay down a heavy weight of fire and still assault. If you can attach one of the IC to the unit that also works very well. Particularly a Sanguinary Priest or Librarian, though a Chaplain will do in a pinch.

I do question the point of the Tactical Squad to be honest. You'll get better bang for your buck with a Devastator Squad in a Drop Pod with Deathwind Launcher. For 260 points you can bring the DP (55) and still have 205 for a 6-8 man squad with what ever flavor guns you prefer. Much more effective support and even better at holding objectives.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do question the point of the Tactical Squad to be honest. You'll get better bang for your buck with a Devastator Squad in a Drop Pod with Deathwind Launcher. For 260 points you can bring the DP (55) and still have 205 for a 6-8 man squad with what ever flavor guns you prefer. Much more effective support and even better at holding objectives.
Devastators aren't scoring though.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I like the list. has some good potential and I especially like the dreads. I have to get more of them :)(Have the one body so that's my rifleman dread as well as my talon)
two things I'd try and add into the army would be heavy flamers for the dreads, can hit much more than storm bolters and have higher str. and AP, Also maybe a few more special weapons in your units. One meltagun is good but not very reliable, redundancy is always good, especially in the larger squads. to find the points I'd drop one of the attack bikes. 5 are plenty to go tank hunting IMO.
Just a thought though it can help but it's not really necessary :)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
for the points of one attack bike unit you could simply go with HF LS or even MM/HF.

it's two speeders but you'd get that much needed anti-horde to swing CC in your favor by thinning out enemy numbers.

good hunting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I dont realy see that the PF on the 5-man RAS is worth it, I think that the squad is already limited in its usefulness by its size and that they sitt in a shooty transport if you want them for object grabs i recomend simply a power weapon and maybe a special weapon.

Tactical squad always have their place in a SM army and this squad is built by the magic 8 wich is never a bad choice:eek:k:

Pesonally I realy dont like the new DC I think they are way to expensive and that they no longer can be controled by a chaplain means wich means that all the points you invested into that squad is now RAGEING over the battlefield, but thats just my opinion.

Personaly i love attack bikes and if you run a full squad (does not mater what equipment) your opponent want to take them of the board 3 melta shoots or 9 heavy bolter shoots is hard to ignore. With T5 and maybe FnP they are a hard nut to crack will not will not die by small arms wich means your opponent is going to have to shoot with bigger guns wich is then not shooting at your tank/dreads:eek:k:

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Assault Squad
Sergeant
5 Marines
If you're going to go with such a small unit, I suggest rolling with a power weapon instead. It's difficult to keep the Sergeant alive long enough for him to swing with it, especially if the enemy manages to get a turn of shooting at these guys before combat.

Death Company
6 DC
- Power Fist
- Power Weapon x 3
- Extra Armour
:shok: Three power weapons? Seriously? That unit must cost a ton of points. With the Reclusiarch already present you really should only require one or two power weapons on the Death Company themselves, tops.

DC Dreadnought
- Blood Talons
- Drop Pod
This guy seems like overkill in addition to the two Furioso Dreadnoughts. Dreads with Blood Talons are fantastic, but three of them? Seems a little excessive. Maybe look into picking up a squad of Honor Guard, or consider checking out a unit that can give you some long ranged firepower. You're not really lacking in anti-infantry or anti-tank ability, but the list could use a unit with a long reach.

Best of luck!

Katie D

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replies, excellent advice as usual & has definitely informed my decision... :thank_you:

Version II

Reclusiarch (with DC)

Librarian (with 8 man RAS)
- Shield, Lance

Sanguinary Priest (with 8 man RAS)

Furioso Dreadnought
- Extra Armour
- Blood Talons

Furioso Dreadnought
- Extra Armour
- Blood Talons

Assault Squad
Sergeant
- Infernus Pistol & Power Fist
7 Marines
- Meltagun

Assault Squad
Sergeant
- Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon
5 Marines

Tactical Squad
Sergeant
- Bolt Pistol & Power Fist
9 Marines
- Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

Death Company
6 DC
- Power Fist
- Power Weapon x 2
- Extra Armour

DC Dreadnought
- Blood Fists
- Heavy Flamer
- Drop Pod

3 Attack Bikes
- Multi Melta

3 Attack Bikes
- Multi Melta

TOTAL: 1997

Next battle I can fit in is against mech IG on Sat 19th so I'll be back with a bat rep or a quick report.

Dallas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts