Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I have compiled Tactics videos and articles, army list ideas and strategies from battle reports to come up with this 2000 point Ultramarines list. I have been doing a lot of Theoryhammer and have not yet tried (or bought) this list yet. I would appreciate some feedback before I enter the nightmarish dimension of spending and painting. The army uses the Ultramarines chapter tactics.

HQ — Chief Librarian Tigurius — 165 Points

Elites — 8 Sternguard Veterans — 2 Heavy Flamers, 3 Combi-flamers, Melta Bombs — 241 Points

Dedicated Transport — Drop Pod — 35 Points

Elites — 7 Sternguard Veterans — 3 Combi-plasmas, Melta Bombs — 199 Points

Dedicated Transport — Rhino — 35 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Plasma Gun, Combi-plasma — 165 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Plasma Gun, Combi-plasma — 165 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Flamer, Combi-flamer, Melta Bombs — 160 Points

Dedicated Transport — Drop Pod — 35 Points

Troops — 5 Scouts — Camo cloaks, Sniper Rifles — 70 Points

Fast Attack — 6 Bikes — 2 Meltaguns, Combi-melta, Melta Bombs — 156 Points

Heavy Support — 3 Devastator Centurions — Grav-cannons and Grav-amps — 250 Points

Heavy Support — Vindicator — 125 Points

Heavy Support — Vindicator — 125 Points

1996 Points

The idea is that the Sternguard Veterans squad come down first turn and roast some Tau, Eldar, or whatever the opposing scum is that needs to be cleansed. They are not a suicide unit and will try to find cover and generally act as a fire magnet (with help from long-range psychic support from Tigurius (with Endurance, for example)) and harassing unit. The other 7 Sternguard Veterans will have Tigurius in them (who I think can cast powers from a Fire Point (clarification please)). They will move up to near the enemy’s lines and just shoot stuff, along with the Centurions, who will hopefully be protected by some Rhino screening and Divination. The 2 Plasma squads will move up to a midfield objective. The Flamer squad will come in as late as possible and toast some back-field objective holders (like Sniper Scouts :grin:) and claim an objective. The Sniper scouts sit back on a home objective. The bikes lend some anti-tank firepower and more harassment. Finally, the 2 Vindicators will gloriously advance, side-by-side, and kill stuff, again with some Tigurius support. Most of my opponents play footslogging armies (hence the lack of anti-tank) and there is only one guy who brings in a flier (the Heldrake), so I have purposely not wasted points on AA.

Feedback will be appreciated. I am not aiming for a super-competitive list, but one that wins in friendly play and stands a chance in a tournament (a.k.a. semi-competitive). I am kind of on a tighish budget and so I cannot have any more transports, but I am flexible besides that.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
ok..so a few quick ideas...drop the combi weapons ont he taq squad and pick up a lasconnon or a plasma cannon at least that way you will have tactical option if you need to combat squad,

not sure on the heavy flamers on the sternguard..if you want them to be in cover and a bullet magnet why give them weapons they not going to use?? keep them simple..aslo an iron clad could do the same and for cheaper..

drop the camo cloaks on the scouts not really needed..but personal prefence.

keep tiggy with the dev cents..with divination he makes them supper super effective..

vindis...well vindis are just awsome.

the last thing you have nothing in the way of AA..i would atleast try to get in a storm talon..

other than that goes nuts..

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Why waste the heavy flamers on a sternguard squad, the special ammunition, especially the 2+ to wound is invaluable! combis all the way!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your replies.

As much as I love Heavy Flamers, I am forced to agree with you. Do I just drop the Heavy Flamers or should I replace them with Combis? I have quite a few old heavy weapons from old Devastator kits, so I could add some of those to my squads (I have 2 plasma cannons, for the plasma squads, loads of missile launchers, and maybe a heavy bolter for the flamer squad(?)).

This list was a list I write considering that I would not need AA. If there was a flier, could it be as simple as dropping 1 vindicator for a stormtalon and dropping the scouts for an aegis line?
Heirophant

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
yes put combi on the stearn then depending on the army you can just change the combi type as they are the same points...
as for "if" you need AA most people are bringing flyers these days. so you should try to fit int the stormtalon..it really is a good all round unit..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts