Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have posted online a list similar to this and received some feedback. This is my next attempt at the list.

HQ — Chief Librarian Tigurius — 165 Points

HQ — Command Squad — 4 Meltaguns — 140 Points
Dedicated Transport — Drop Pod — 35 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma — 165 Points
Dedicated Transport — Rhino — 35 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Meltagun, Combi-melta — 160 Points
Dedicated Transport — Drop Pod — 35 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma — 165 Points
Dedicated Transport — Rhino — 35 Points

Troops — 5 Space Marine Scouts — Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks, Sergeant Telion — 129 Points

Elites - 8 Sternguard Veterans - 186 Points
Dedicated Transport - Rhino - 35 Points

Fast Attack — Stormtalon Gunship — Skyhammer Missile Launcher — 125 Points

Heavy Support — 3 Centurions — Grav weapons — 250 Points

Heavy Support — Vindicator — 125 Points

Heavy Support — Predator — Lascannons — 140 Points

Fortifications — ADL — Lascannon — 85 Points

I really want the list to be perfect before I spend money on it. I am aiming for a list that will not necessarily destroy everything in a tournament, but one that will win in friendly play and will stand a chance in a tourney. Thanks in advance.

Heirophant.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Let me start by saying it's a hard read to process your list. I understand it, but the formatting is tough on the eyes, and you don't have any rhyme or reason to it... Troops coming in after Heavies, HQ squads at the bottom, etc.

Now, as for the list itself, it looks decent. I see a few anti-tank squads in the form of a suicide HQ drop and a LasPred, though you might need a little bit more. I'm personally not a fan of the Vindicator because it needs to be so close to fire, where other heavy guns (like the Pred) can hide in the back. I'm not sure who you plan on having man the Icarus, and if you'll be throwing another squad behind cover with him. Lascannon Centurions are a good choice, but Grav needs to be closer. The Scouts?

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
HQ — Chief Librarian Tigurius — 165 Points
Whats the plan with him? Where is he going?

Tactical Squad — Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma — 165 Points
Rhino — 35 Points
Why no heavy weapon? Looks a bit like a mid-field objective holder, and the added range of a plasmacannon or heavy bolter might be of some service.

Tactical Squad — Meltagun, Combi-melta — 160 Points
Drop Pod — 35 Points
Since you'll be podding them in so close to do damage I'd advise a power weapon and maybe veteran status on the sergeant. So close to your opponent theres every chance they will be charged, might as well give them some punch in that event.

3 Centurions — Grav weapons — 250 Points
Personally I'm more a fan of lascannons over the grav, though I'd suggest you consider giving the sergeant an omniscope and swapping his grav for las at the very least. This way you have yet another long range anti armour threat on the board for only a few extra points.

ADL — Lascannon — 85 Points
Is Tigirius manning this?

Vindicator — 125 Points
Decent choice, will it be rolling forward with the rhino's as a bodyguard of sorts?

Predator — Lascannons — 140 Points
Personally I would go with the auto-las predator for the versatility over an all las one. Gives you a few points to use elsewhere.

Stormtalon Gunship — Skyhammer Missile Launcher — 125 Points
Personally I've found myself favouring the lascannon turret over skyhammer missiles as of late, but they are both good options overall.

Command Squad — 4 Meltaguns — 140 Points
Drop Pod — 35 Points
Gotta agree with Xabre in wondering why this is coming after everything else? That aside its an alright unit, considering its a suicide one and will more than likely only get one shot before being overrun.

I'd recommend dropping it in favour of something else.

5 Space Marine Scouts — Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks, Sergeant Telion — 129 Points
Good choice overall, maybe consider expending points to give them a flakk missile launcher. Nothing messes up a flyers day more than a missile at Telion's BS from time to time.

8 Sternguard Veterans - 186 Points
Rhino - 35 Points
I'd get these guys as many combi flamers and melta's as possible, and then stick them in a drop pod for maximum effect. They'd likely do much better than that command squad, mostly due to them being able to bring more bodies and guns to the board.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the formatting, I posted it up on a hurry. I edited it so it is easier to read. Tigurius will be running with the Sternguard. As for the Tactical Squads, I thought that it would be better to have mobile, cheap squads (I think that a moving squad like this could do more damage than a moving squad with a Special and Heavy weapon). As for the Melta Tactical Squad, they will not be podding as close to the enemy's lines as the Command Squad. It will stay mid-to-up-field to threaten any tanks that dare come buy, and to add as a kind "thinner" to the enemy. If I am playing a horde army, I may consider swapping them for Flamers and Combi-flamers. I believe that Tactical Squads do not belong in combat, and that it is a waste of 15 points to try and guarantee kill 2 Orks:). My local meta is Marines, GK, Chaos and Necrons with only a Transport or two in the way of tanks. So gravs are my kind of thang:grin:. Telion and the Scouts are manning the ADL, and grabbing a cheap 2+ cover save. Interesting thoughts on the Predator, I think I might have to do some modelling... I think that if I need some more anti-tank, I will put a Lascannon on the Stormtalon, just as a last reserve. I don't know what's wrong with the Command Squad. The amount of Combi-melta Sternguard suicide units out there is horrendous, and their points for SIA are just being wasted! Personally, I think that the Command Squad is an important part of this list. Sternguard are a points filler and just zoom up the side of the board and tear chunks out of the opponent's army. Sternguard are still viable options without Combi-weapons.

Thanks for the feedback.

Heirophant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts