1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HQ-
Autarch with Jump pack, mandiblasters, chainsword, fusion gun

Elites-
5 Fire Dragons w/ Exarch- Firepike (Mounted in Wave Serpent with Bright Lances)
5 Wraithguard (Mounted in a Wave Serpent with Starcannons)
5 Striking Scorpions w/ Exarch- Power Claw and Shadowstrike

Troops-
10 Dire Avengers w/ Exarch- Dual catapaults and bladestorm (Mounted in Wave Serpent with Shuriken cannons)
Another squad, identical to above.
10 Rangers (Pathfinders)

Heavy Support-
2 fire Prisms with Holofields
Falcon with Starcannon

I'd like to know what more experienced players think of this list before I start building it, I have all of the infantry but only 2 of the 7 tanks currently. So tell me what you think.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi there, first off, welcome to the Eldar. I'd rank myself as fairly new but with a fair bit of practice under my belt so if someone with more exp comments, listen to them first :p. That said ill throw in my two cents.

As HQ, i recently tried an autarch to see if they can work, while they are ok, the Farseer is just better. I had a similar build to yours but with wings instead (as did not want to get him killed on a 6) and he just failed to do anything despite only needing a 2 to hit, he missed. However Farseers have never failed to impress, they turn average units into killing machines with guide/doom and 4+ saves into better than power armour with Fortune. To sum up, i'd pretty much always go with Seer as first HQ and add an Autarch only as second but even then, a second Farseer would be better 90% of the time. This said, Autarchs have some cool stuff and if your set on using him, i'd like to know how you get on :).

Fire Dragons, great, love these guys so much. May want to consider dropping the exarch as he adds very little to the unit but that 2+ hit is kinda nice :) Overall good choice.

Wraithguard, never used these guys and don't think i ever will, 12" range just really puts me off. Can see their plus sides but just too expensive for what they do for me.

Scorps, love mine, some people say elites should only be spent on fire dragons for eldar, I think scorps and banshees have their place as well. Possibly add a few more for survivability but overall, like :).

All your troops are fine. The avengers are set up like that are my fav unit in the codex (with a doom/guide seer they can chew though pretty much anything bar T6)

Heavy Support is fine as well. Lots of eldar tanks = lots of dead anyone else :). only thing, starcannons are quite over priced for what they do, i'd consider dropping them for either lances or scatter lasers.

I like the list though, hope it serves you well in this form or slightly changed. Let us know how it works out for ya.

Peace fellow pointy ear :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good start.

Here are some sugestions.

1.Panzer is right, loose the Autarch get a farseer. At 2000 points you may consider splurging and getting Eldarad.

2. Wraith guard are no good at 5. Loose them and use the 175 points to upgrade other stuff.

3. Nothing wrong with the scorps. I preffer banshees personally, but a good unit none the less. If you are going to use them buy more 5 is too small.

4. Give one of the units of DAs deffend and shimmer shield. Run them with the farseer (eldrad) and keep them fortuned. This will be a great sheild/ tie up/ objective holding unit.

5. Wave Serpents should have bright lances for anti armor or scatter lasser for anti troops.

6. I like eml on falcons.

7. Almost all vehicles that carry troops should have spirit stones if you can find the points.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ok the Autarch is running alone and well a str 6 or hire will put him in the dirt. Based on the build you have, I would go like this:

Fire Dragons: drop the pike and exarch, add one or two more. As for the wave serpent you are running two AT in one basket. Give them scatter lasers.

Wraithguard: 5 is good but add a warlock with a spear and my favorite is to tuck Yriel in with them. They disembark and shoot. The whole squad is a T6 for incoming fire. The next turn I move Yriel toward a unit to assault them and have the guard move where I need them. Their serpent with SC are good but I think I would give the SC to the DA's to add a little more punch to them.

Scorpions: 7-10 is better. I like the chain sabers over the claw. Thats just me.

DA's: good, scatter lasers or star cannons.

Pathfinders: Lot of points. I run 6 and it works ok.

Fire Prisms: holofield, spirit stones

Falcon: EML works better because you can fire the plasma missle as def weapon.

Spirit stones on all of your vehicles.

my 3 dollar bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Baharroth3, welcome to Heresy!

My initial inclination was to tell you; use Eldrad, run Dragons for elites, Avengers for troops and Fire Prisms for heavy support as this is probably the best approach if you’re looking for a competitive tourney mech list. However, then I realized that this wasn’t very constructive criticism. If you do end up wanting the best possible tourney list then that is a good place to start. However, I’m going to have a go at commenting as if this weren’t a highly-tuned tourney list, giving you room for some ‘fun’ units over strictly the best ones.

HQ-

If you’re hell-bent on keeping an Autarch, upgrade this guy to Yriel and run him with the Fire Dragons—in a 2k list he is well worth his points. However, I personally would look at getting a Farseer or Eldrad as these units have more synergy with the rest of your army.

Elites-

I would drop the Fire Dragon Exarch and up the squad to 6 members—17 points for BS 5 and a fusion gun that fires an extra 6 inches isn’t worth it in my opinion. You should also look at downgrading the weaponry on your Wave Serpents. These tanks will likely be primary targets for your opponent. I would suggest twin-linked shuriken cannons and if you can afford extra upgrades; a shuriken cannon and spirit stones.

I think your other two elite units are too small to be effective at the 2k pts level. At the very least look to buff out these squads to more respectable sizes—I personally, would scrap the Wraithguard and use the points left over to buff out the Scorpions and give them a Wave Serpent. Also, look at giving your Scorpion Exarch a biting blade over his fist as strength 6 powerfists don’t really cut it.

Troops-
10 Dire Avengers w/ Exarch- Dual catapaults and bladestorm (Mounted in Wave Serpent with Shuriken cannons)
10 Rangers (Pathfinders)

Dire Avengers are solid units.Personal preference for me would be to drop the Pathfinders for another Avenger unit. If you’re set on keeping Pathfinders, you could minimize the squad down to 7 men and perhaps use the points saved from other areas for another squad of 7.

Heavy Support-
Falcon with Starcannon

These are solid units which will be the core of your mech list—I would prefer 3 Fire Prisms ideally. If you stick with the Falcon downgrade the starcannon to an EML. You can also save points by removing the holofields on your Fire Prisms—this upgrade is quite expensive and also increases the chances of a weapon destroyed result (effectively making your Prism useless)—as someone suggested in another thread, shuriken cannons are a good upgrade as it lets the prisms do something after their prism cannon is stripped.

These changes should free up some points to spend in other areas.
Hope these comments helped and I look forward to seeing your next list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone. I see what you mean about the Autarch/Farseer thing, and I think you're right. In fact, I've usually run Eldrad in the past few months. I wanted something new, but I Farseers really are better, so I guess I'll run one.

The wraithguard are one of my favorite units, honestly, as that T6 can take some serious pounding and once they get close even Terminators and Land Raiders are usually toast. I wanted another reliable anti-tank infantry in there, but another fire dragon squad could actually fill that slot quite well.

As for the falcon, I'm not completely sure why I chose one. I know, especially in bulk, that Fire Prisms are better, but I guess I just wanted variety. Oh well, nothing like a S7 AP2 Large Blast to ruin an enemy's day.

Again, thanks everyone for the great advice. I appreciate it, and hope to be around again on the forums soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
HQ-
*You might as well upgrade the chainsword for a power weapon. If you roll with him, you might want to consiter a unit of warp spiders as bodyguards. Also useful if you use there ability.
*If you can, add a farseer with doom and move it with the DA
Elites-
*Drop the exarch and just have 6 standard.
*Drop them entiring, curiously, why no warlock?
*Bolter there number to at lease 8. And get the biting blade not the power claw.
Troops-
*Solid choice, have the second DA squad with shimmersheid and defend.
10 Rangers (Pathfinders)
*Half them
Heavy Support-
Falcon with Starcannon
*Drop the starcannon for a scatter laser. You will be better off with a wraithlord with eml and sc
I don't have the codex with me, but here's my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Rangers and scorpions are great units they just tend to be slow, it might be better to halve the pathfinder squad and keep them as rangers (cheaper and you can go to ground to get a 2+ cover)

I'm not sure what you want to do with your scorpions, they are too small to do anything major, I would also give the autarch a PW gives him more of a punch.

When it comes to Serpents:
For Banshees, Scorpions, and fired dragons: You want these serpents cheap, no reason to give your opponent another reason to shoot them, it also allows you to more flat out and not worry about wasting your big guns, Mine usually roll with Shurikan cannons
Troops: This is where you want to EMLs and bright lances, you can park near an objective or zip through cover to get a save.

Hope this helped!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts