Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my friendly foot-slogging list for 2000 points any thoughts you have are appreciated.

HQ
Emperors Champion - 140
AAC

Master of Sanctity - 141
Bolt Pistol
Terminator Honours
Artificer Armor

Marshal - 160
Jump Pack
Thunder Hammer
Storm Shield
Terminator Honours
Teleport Homer

ELITES
5x Terminators - 215
(3x LC, 2x TH/SS)
Furious Charge

5x Terminators - 215
(3x LC, 2x TH/SS)
Furious Charge

Dreadnought - 170
TLLC
Heavy Flamer
Venerable
Tank Hunter
Extra Armour

TROOPS
10x Initiates (BP &CC) - 235
5x Neophytes (BP &CC)
Meltagun
Powerfist

10x Initiates (BP &CC) - 235
5x Neophytes (BP &CC)
Meltagun
Powerfist

FAST ATTACK
10x Assault Marines - 235
Powerfist

HEAVY SUPPORT
Vindicator - 128
Smoke Launchers

Vindicator - 128
Smoke Launchers

Marshal joins the assault squad who then jump about and put the hurt on the opponents static elements/tagets of opportunity and contest objectives if there are any left. Emperors champ and chaplain join a crusader squad each and storm across the center of the board taking down anything they run into. Vindi's and dreadnought for fire support, dreadnaught will move up the board while firing. Termies will footslog or deepstrike depending on the enemy and my mood, and will generally aim for the enemy flanks and work thteir way inwards.

C&C greatly encouraged.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am kind of new to 40k and am playing around with building a mechinized Templar build, so my questions are curiousities I have and the answers will greatly help me.

Overall it seems like a pretty solid list. I have a few questions/suggestions for thought.

1)with you taking AAC oath why take a chaplain? 141 pts is a lot to have some extra initiative and a few extra attacks, that can almost buy you another crusader squad.

2)High marshal,unless its to use his leadership you may want to consider dropping and using the points towards another crusader squad/something else or using a castellan and saving 15 pts.

3)I would caution you about just charging headlong with the champion in an annihlation game. In reality he isnt a super-beefy Character and enemy Characters will almost always be in base contact with him and without a rhino/razorback he and the chaplain will get shot up pretty bad on the way across the table.

For annihlation, you may want to consider putting the champ in a rhino/razorback with some guys and lurking until your opponent exposes an independant character and then spring your trap and put his independant character to the sword, just an idea though.

4)with your dread, im guessing you are using him for tank busting. Why not go with TL Las and a ML to make the most of his tank-hunting, i dont forsee you rushing him into an assault unless things are bad right?

5)The lack of transports for your troops concerns me against any list that is shooty, may want to consider smaller squads with a ride. Like 4 8-man sqauds with rhinos instead on two 15-man sqauds. This would also for the enemy to split his fire instead of concentrating.

6)My only real worry about a competetive game is that you have one weapon in your list with a range greater than 24" and only two more weapons with a range greater than 12". With your squads foot-slogging across the board in a competetive game with no real fire support they would get hammered badly.

Again, these are thoughts of a newb, and that seems like a lot now that am at the end, but i am excited to hear more of your thoughts on your list so that I can learn some more.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am kind of new to 40k and am playing around with building a mechinized Templar build, so my questions are curiousities I have and the answers will greatly help me.

Overall it seems like a pretty solid list. I have a few questions/suggestions for thought.

1)with you taking AAC oath why take a chaplain? 141 pts is a lot to have some extra initiative and a few extra attacks, that can almost buy you another crusader squad.

Well 6 power weapon attacks on the charge is nothing to be sniffed at also the auto-pass on righteous zeal and the ability to move towards whoever I want rather than the closest enemy is extremely useful. Not to mention he comes with crusader seals as standard equipment, the artificer armour lets me do some wound allocation trickery and also if the neophytes get in combat with the chaplain they have the chance to re-roll as well.

2)High marshal,unless its to use his leadership you may want to consider dropping and using the points towards another crusader squad/something else or using a castellan and saving 15 pts.

The marshal is mostly there for the leadership bonus and to add a bit of bite to my assault squad, not to mention he will have a teleport homer (which I forgot to add to the list) to make sure that my terminators come down where I want.

3)I would caution you about just charging headlong with the champion in an annihlation game. In reality he isnt a super-beefy Character and enemy Characters will almost always be in base contact with him and without a rhino/razorback he and the chaplain will get shot up pretty bad on the way across the table.

While he isn't a "super-beefy" character, I'm not going to try and throw him at something like Abbadon. A character roughly on par with him or just a regular enemy squad will go down just fine. They are also joining the crusader squads so I can usually allocate wounds elsewhere (neophytes) and then if someone dies then there is less distance to get into combat and less time I'm being shot. :biggrin:

For annihlation, you may want to consider putting the champ in a rhino/razorback with some guys and lurking until your opponent exposes an independant character and then spring your trap and put his independant character to the sword, just an idea though.

Not a bad idea, but I just prefer to flootslog with my templars and take andvantage of righteous zeal. :grin:

4)with your dread, im guessing you are using him for tank busting. Why not go with TL Las and a ML to make the most of his tank-hunting, i dont forsee you rushing him into an assault unless things are bad right?

This is more just a result of the local meta-game kicking in. Around where I play, or at least the people I usually play against not very many enemies you face will be meched up. I just need to blow up the few vehicles that are put down and then focus on killing their infantry which is easier for my dreadnought in close combat.

5)The lack of transports for your troops concerns me against any list that is shooty, may want to consider smaller squads with a ride. Like 4 8-man sqauds with rhinos instead on two 15-man sqauds. This would also for the enemy to split his fire instead of concentrating.

The aim of this list is to footslog plain and simple, which is something I really should've mentioned, and when you footslog Templars you want a lot of bodies on the table. This is a friendly list however so I only have two larger sized squads rather than about four. Also with the amount of cover available in most games that is usually enough to get a decent amount of them into combat eventually.

6)My only real worry about a competetive game is that you have one weapon in your list with a range greater than 24" and only two more weapons with a range greater than 12". With your squads foot-slogging across the board in a competetive game with no real fire support they would get hammered badly.

That's why I said it was a friendly list. :wink: A couple of well placed demolisher or plasma cannon rounds and I'm pretty much finished. If I were to write up a competitive list I would either mech up, grab a whole bunch more crusader squads, use tri-las predators for my fire support/anti-tank or just use my Necrons who I'm better with anyway :biggrin:.

Again, these are thoughts of a newb, and that seems like a lot now that am at the end, but i am excited to hear more of your thoughts on your list so that I can learn some more.
A lot of the points you made are good ones if I was aiming to build a competitive mech list, but these are just friendly-ish (ish because 2 vindicators in most situations are nasty) footsloggers, so I'm using big squads to take advantage of righteous zeal (exception being the terminators who will usually not take too much damage either due to deep-striking or their armor save, and any more than 5 man squads is overkill) and to make sure I have a decent amount of models in combat when I get there.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
only change i would make is to make the Dread have TLLC/ML combo. don't really need a Venerable Dread and tank hunter for that.

other option would be to take attack bikes (or LS) with MM for anti-tank and MC creature wounding.

good hunting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Like the inquisitor said, something to put wounds a an MC before you get into combat. Also look into Iron halo over storm shield, late in the game when the squad dies (more than likely, because they will out pace the rest of the army) It is nice to have a save vs high AP guns. just a thought tough.
I like the list. It feels very templar & in a friendly game it will do just fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think a good thing to do would be to give the jump pack to the Master of Sanctity instead of the marshal. Then give melta-bombs to the assault squad and go tank hunting with that. Sort of like this...
10 x Assault Squad 265pts
Power Fist 15pts
2 x Plasma Pistol 10pts
Melta-bombs 20pts

Like this when attacking vehicles you can re-roll to hit.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hail,

I like the idea of a foot-slogging Templars army. Gives lots of troops on the board. Your vindicators have a great option of using power of the machine spirit. Forces your opponent to kill the Vindicators (glancing rarely stops them from firing).

BFTBG!!

World Eater

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
looking at this list now, i think i would make some major changes:

drop the Marshal or the Master of Sanctity: get a third Vindie.

consider dropping one or both termie squads: make your Dreads TL LC/ML, and take 3 of them.

drop the assault squad for another Crusader squad.

not knowing what kind of armies you play against, it's imperative that you have as much as you can that can kill transports.

3 Vinidies and 3 Dreads should be enough to make you opponent worry, and make him choose between killing your mobile fire support or killing your Troops.

as it stands, a couple of well place pie-plates (and don't just think IG: Eldar and MEQ's could this just as well) and you can't take objectives.

i do applaud your footslogging attempt though, maybe 40K won't be so bent on tanks if players start building more lists like this one.

good hunting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts