Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has placed best in battle points 2 tourneys in a row here and if only it was painted completely I would have come out with overall, ah well.. soon. Thought I'd share:

(BTW, the use of Maugan Ra is due to the fact that I use his craftworld of Altansar as my color scheme)

Maugan Ra

Autarch
Warp pack
Scorpion Chainsword
Fusion Gun

6 Fire Dragons
Exarch
Dragons Breath Flamer
Crack Shot

6 Howling Banshees
Exarch
Executioner
War Shout

3 X 10 Dire Avengers
Exarch
Dire Sword/SP
Bladestorm
Defend

12 Guardians
Scatter Laser Platform
Warlock
Witch Blade
Conceal

10 Warp Spiders
Exarch
Power Blades
Spinneret Rifle

5 Dark Reapers
Exarch
Tempest Launcher
Crack Shot
Fast Shot

Wraithlord
Sword
Brightlance

Falcon
Scatter Laser/Pulse Laser
Holofield
Spirit Stones

So far it's gone 6-0 total for two tourneys playing against a good variety of opponents. Now I just gotta get her all painted...

Good gaming!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Alright, let's take a look.

Maugan Ra

A bit on the expensive side for an HQ choice, but the Maugetar is downright nasty now.

Autarch
Warp pack
Scorpion Chainsword
Fusion Gun

Save five points and give him the Hawk wings. He can deepstrike then and use his Fusion gun better. Also, using the second assault jump with a model like this is a terrible idea. Chainsword is good. Fusion gun is a good choice as well.

6 Fire Dragons
Exarch
Dragons Breath Flamer
Crack Shot

Considering the role of Fire Dragons, the Flamer is meh. Sure, it's a free Heavy Flamer, but with Crack Shot, it's pretty nasty, I guess.

6 Howling Banshees
Exarch
Executioner
War Shout

Fine. Beef up to 8 if you can.

3 X 10 Dire Avengers
Exarch
Dire Sword/SP
Bladestorm
Defend

Pretty good. Kind of mixed on their role. Bladestorming then charging in with nasties is pretty effective, though.

12 Guardians
Scatter Laser Platform
Warlock
Witch Blade
Conceal

Honestly? Unnecessary. For about 20 more points, you could field another Dire Avenger squad, which in all cases, is far better. Scatter Lasers got screwed over in the update. Over a Shuriken Cannon, it's got longer range, same strength, worse AP, one more shot, and you can't move and shoot it. For more points. I'm not sold.

10 Warp Spiders
Exarch
Power Blades
Spinneret Rifle

Take Withdraw and maybe, if you want, drop the Spinneret Rifle and take the Exarch Deathspinner. Volume of fire is in almost all cases far superior to low AP weapons. But, the Spinneret Rifle is an almost assured wound. Your call.

5 Dark Reapers
Exarch
Tempest Launcher
Crack Shot
Fast Shot

I find a squad of 4 Dark Reapers and no Exarch is enough. You're kind of wasting points there.

Wraithlord
Sword
Brightlance

Sword isn't really all that good. My Lord is kitted out with a brightlance and a missile launcher. Take advantage of Eldar Plasma missiles being far, far better than Frag missiles.

Falcon
Holofield
Spirit Stones

I find the Falcon incredibly unfluffy, but this looks good. The low BS of the Falcon works well with the Scatter Laser, I guess. I still don't like them very much.

Overall, I can see why it's won you 6 games. I'd consider throwing the Banshees and Dragons in Serpents, since they tend to get mauled when they just hoof it across the table.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Antioch said:
Alright, let's take a look.

Maugan Ra

A bit on the expensive side for an HQ choice, but the Maugetar is downright nasty now.
Yeah, it is and he's my craftworld benefactor and very fun :)

Autarch
Warp pack
Scorpion Chainsword
Fusion Gun

Save five points and give him the Hawk wings. He can deepstrike then and use his Fusion gun better. Also, using the second assault jump with a model like this is a terrible idea. Chainsword is good. Fusion gun is a good choice as well.
Actually I attach him to the other Spiders and they are devastating. Easily my MVP unit from yesterdays tourney. Jump in with 2 high AP weapons and loads of S6 shots and then jump out of rapid fire range, I did that all day with them yesterday, much fun.

6 Fire Dragons
Exarch
Dragons Breath Flamer
Crack Shot

Considering the role of Fire Dragons, the Flamer is meh. Sure, it's a free Heavy Flamer, but with Crack Shot, it's pretty nasty, I guess.
I've found the 5 meltaguns are awesome enough and as you stated the heavy flamer with Crack Shot is beautiful :) They ride in the Falcon in most scenarios

6 Howling Banshees
Exarch
Executioner
War Shout

Fine. Beef up to 8 if you can.
Tough to beef up with the way they package them now... I pretty much run them as distraction

3 X 10 Dire Avengers
Exarch
Dire Sword/SP
Bladestorm
Defend

Pretty good. Kind of mixed on their role. Bladestorming then charging in with nasties is pretty effective, though.
After 6 games with them, i'll never take them with any less. I neutralized hormigaunts with Defend and Bladestorming Kroot or other infantry squads are so wonderful. Bladestorm I feel is a must with this unit now as it helps you either on the charge or as a "stand and shoot" before your charged.

12 Guardians
Scatter Laser Platform
Warlock
Witch Blade
Conceal

Honestly? Unnecessary. For about 20 more points, you could field another Dire Avenger squad, which in all cases, is far better. Scatter Lasers got screwed over in the update. Over a Shuriken Cannon, it's got longer range, same strength, worse AP, one more shot, and you can't move and shoot it. For more points. I'm not sold.
Unnecessary yeah, but they came in the box set and this army basically expanded on what came in it. I'm still in love with Scatter Lasers even in the new rules.

10 Warp Spiders
Exarch
Power Blades
Spinneret Rifle

Take Withdraw and maybe, if you want, drop the Spinneret Rifle and take the Exarch Deathspinner. Volume of fire is in almost all cases far superior to low AP weapons. But, the Spinneret Rifle is an almost assured wound. Your call.
Spinneret is awesome for pinning and the guaranteed wound as you stated. Withdraw, I've never in a game thought, "Man, I wish i had used Withdraw." With thier jump in/jump out they rarely see combat and usually only have to mop up.

5 Dark Reapers
Exarch
Tempest Launcher
Crack Shot
Fast Shot

I find a squad of 4 Dark Reapers and no Exarch is enough. You're kind of wasting points there.
This was setup mostly as a full compliment to Maugan Ra being thier Phoenix Lord. The Tempest Launcher really came in handy against the bugs yesterday also, especially when you get 3 blast shots with Fast Shot and can ignore cover or reroll on a single target with Crack Shot

Wraithlord
Sword
Brightlance

Sword isn't really all that good. My Lord is kitted out with a brightlance and a missile launcher. Take advantage of Eldar Plasma missiles being far, far better than Frag missiles.
Ok, you can't tell me the sword doesn't look bada$$ on the new Wraithlord :) Plus against a Carnifex, it was invaluable to get the last 3 wounds before he got a chance to get pummelled.

Falcon
Holofield
Spirit Stones

I find the Falcon incredibly unfluffy, but this looks good. The low BS of the Falcon works well with the Scatter Laser, I guess. I still don't like them very much.
The Falcon came in the box, so it's getting used. Plus it's great transport for the Dragons and takes out big critters decently.

Overall, I can see why it's won you 6 games. I'd consider throwing the Banshees and Dragons in Serpents, since they tend to get mauled when they just hoof it across the table.
Thanks very much for the feedback, it's been such a fun list so far. Good gaming!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oh, I know the sword looks cool. Just wait 'til I post my wraithlord model. Pretty good usage of the sword, if I do say so myself.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
looks like a good list, the only thing that seems out of place is the Falcon, due to being the only armour, but if anything can survive on its own, its a falcon. Id add the shuriken cannon upgrade, its easy enough to convert with what comes in the box as the extra 3 shots makes a big diference to something with BS3. I'd consider swappint it for a different hvy support choice, but its not essential and would prob mean dropping the firedragons if you did.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Maugan Ra

Autarch
Warp pack
Scorpion Chainsword
Fusion Gun

6 Fire Dragons
Exarch
Dragons Breath Flamer
Crack Shot
So far I have no comment as all the above units work well for this army list, as far as I am concerned.

6 Howling Banshees
Exarch
Executioner
War Shout
I wouldn't think that Warshout is that essential and would drop it for the points.

3 X 10 Dire Avengers
Exarch
Dire Sword/SP
Bladestorm
Defend
Have you considered the PW and SS option as it could be solid for 1 unit (diversity and a little more resilience).

12 Guardians
Scatter Laser Platform
Warlock
Witch Blade
Conceal
I was thinkinf that if you left them in or behind cover, you could easily drop the Warlock altogether and save a lot of points.

10 Warp Spiders
Exarch
Power Blades
Spinneret Rifle
No Withdraw ? I would add this in a heartbeat for those times that you put them into CC jsut so they don't get shot up.

5 Dark Reapers
Exarch
Tempest Launcher
Crack Shot
Fast Shot
Nice, I don't often use CS with the EML; but I do see the potential.

Wraithlord
Sword
Brightlance
I would go with BL and EML and keep him shooting. Simply avoid CC and support all the other units.

Falcon
Holofield
Spirit Stones
I would add Vectored Engines for a little extra insurace, but good enough for most instances.

I looks pretty solid as is, so if its working for you then great, I think you would have some difficulty with a subversive, fast army though, as well as a Chaos Bomb (possibly - depends on your playstyle).

CaHG

·
Banned
280 Posts
Err... Pretty sure you can move and shoot that grav platform weapon, as you can with all of the non artillery ones.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Err... Pretty sure you can move and shoot that grav platform weapon, as you can with all of the non artillery ones.
Quoted for Truth. Eldar Platforms in Guardian Squads certainly may move and shoot in the same turn.

·
Registered
275 Posts
"""The Tempest Launcher really came in handy against the bugs yesterday also, especially when you get 3 blast shots with Fast Shot and can ignore cover or reroll on a single target with Crack Shot"""

i you cant use both "shots" in one turn but imo re rolling and egnoring cover is far superior that an extra shot so just drop fast shot.

in gerneral i would change a couple of things.

drop the banshees altogher, drop the skatter laser on the falcon, warlock, sword.

for

- 2 shurken cannons on the falcon (5 points cheaper for 2 guns lol)
- warlock isnt needed so spend points on a missile launcher on your wraithlord instead of the sword.
- and split the unit of spiders up into 2 units and for the points you have saved up the units to high levels (6-8)
- anything left over spend on power sword on autarch

but it looks ok at the moment and is oviousl doing very well for you.

martin

·
Registered
280 Posts
Scatter on a Falcon has its advantages over 2 Shuri-cans (the two options are actually the same cost - by the way). The fact that the Scatter has better range can be huge in the early turns, and after turn 1, the falcons won't be shooting that often anyway (as most enemies shake the crap out of them).

I still would simply opt for Fastshot.

I would not drop anything (unit wise) but all the other suggestions do have certain advantages.

CaHG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts