Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to Eldar and immediately jumped into a tournament at my LGS. They do not allow Forgeworld, so I am kinda screwed there as I have a wraithseer and Nightwings that I cannot use. So below is my list that has been modified since my utter destruction 2 hours ago. Any advice you could give would be appreciated and most welcome.

Warlord- Eldrad

HQ- Farseer with Guide

Heavy- 3x Wraithlord with 2 flamers, Brightlance, and ML

Heavy- Warwalker Sqaudron x3 all with x2 Scatter Lasers

Troops- 5 Guardian Jetbikes with Warlock (Warlock has Embolden)

Troops- 5 Dire Avengers w/ Exarch in a Wave Serpent
Exarch has 2 Avenger SC's with Bladestorm
Wave Serpent has TL ML

Elite- 5 Fire Dragons in a Wave Serpent
Wave Serpent has TL ML

Troops- 10 Pathfinders

Troops- Storm Guardians with a Fusion Gun

Comes out to 2000 points on the dot. I am very open to suggestions to not lose by turn 3.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mobility and firepower! With the current rulebook and the various codexes being what they are, its been my experience and observations that things like wraithlords, pathfinders, dire avengers/storm guardians/firedragons in wave serpents, etc., really aren't as useful in blind tournaments at 2000 pts as you just played. Go with things like jetbikes, vypers, fire prisms, nights spinners, war walkers, etc.- things which either move fast when needed, and/or hit hard from respectable range. Also try to get some kind of anti-flyer capability! The only 'special' types of infantry that we have that seem to be worthwhile are scorpions and harlequins. We generally need to be a sort of hybrid of the best elements of Tau and I.G.- we somehow have to be fast, hit hard from a distance, really play to our strengths while trying to negate enemy strengths as much as possible, and really stay out of close combats/assaults! Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply rob, I was thinking about working around to get the avatar and some harlies in the list, so try to fing the happy medium, I will get a couple lists together and try to get a couple test games in. Any other critiques on the current list?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
So I am new to Eldar and immediately jumped into a tournament at my LGS. They do not allow Forgeworld, so I am kinda screwed there as I have a wraithseer and Nightwings that I cannot use. So below is my list that has been modified since my utter destruction 2 hours ago. Any advice you could give would be appreciated and most welcome.

Warlord- Eldrad
Lovely.

HQ- Farseer with Guide
Good.

Heavy- 3x Wraithlord with 2 flamers, Brightlance, and ML
Very slow in comparison to the rest of your army. You need at least one prism here (with chin-cannon). I'd prefer 2 prisms and a falcon.

Heavy- Warwalker Sqaudron x3 all with x2 Scatter Lasers
Good. Consider Shuri-cannons if you want to lower the points cost.

Don't think the warlocks are necessary here. I'd drop the Warlock and take a couple of Shuri-Cannons.

Troops- 5 Dire Avengers w/ Exarch in a Wave Serpent
Exarch has 2 Avenger SC's with Bladestorm
Wave Serpent has TL ML
7-8 would be a better number. The Exarch has no need for all that equipment, and even in such a small squad, I wouldn't bother with an Exarch at all. Give the Serpent a Chin-cannon.

Elite- 5 Fire Dragons in a Wave Serpent
Wave Serpent has TL ML
6 would be a nicer number. Serpent needs a Chin-cannon

Troops- 10 Pathfinders
Consider dropping to 7-8.

Troops- Storm Guardians with a Fusion Gun
Not sure what the point of this unit is. Guardians in general are terrible. A small unit of 3 jetbikes would be better if you want to retain the troop choice, but I'd just drop this unit and use the points on other changes.

Comes out to 2000 points on the dot. I am very open to suggestions to not lose by turn 3.
From what I can make out, the problem you have is your 'heavy' firepower is incredibly slow in comparison to the rest of your army. This can lead to it being left behind/lose sight of good targets. Wraithlords are tough, yes; but the weapons they carry aren't anything special in comparison to what other armies will use as slow-but-heavy guns.
Prisms will give you the speed and firepower required to crack tough units. Heavy Tanks should be reserved for the Fire-dragon suicide squad.
A sniper-Falcon works, but can be expensive.

General rule with jetbike based armies is to run them in 3 units of 5 with a cannon.

Pathfinders are nice, but they are expensive and could do with getting a shot off each turn. So make sure you put them somewhere they can see lots of targets. Remember, they have a crazy cover save, so having them placed further up the board doesn't damage their chances of survival too much - having them camp on the home objective means they can be avoided... so consider using them offensively and actively pursue a chosen target.

--

The army it self is reasonably put together. My only thoughts as to your defeat could be your reliance on your FW models in other games. Cohesion is key with Eldar, as I am sure you know. Practice makes perfect, my friend! I know everyone brags about being undefeated on the internet, but we've all been tabled once, I am sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I look a problem. anti-air? In this edition I'm seeing that the some army that not have Flights or anti-air cannons, have a big problem. :suicide:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Orochi, your cirtique and comments were perfect. I have the army on my computer at home modified with some of your suggestions. I will repost it tonight after work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts