Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the only model I have at the moment is high marshal helbrecht, but the troops are set in stone as well.

What I'm in need of help with is refining the support elements of this army here's what I've come up with so far.

HQ
Helbrecht-180 pts

Troops
Crusader squad-295 pts (x3)
-x4 initiate's with bolters
-1 initiate with a plasma gun
-x3 initiate's with chainswords
-1 initiate with a power axe
- sword brethren with a power sword
-x5 neophytes with bolters
-x5 neophytes with close combat weapons

Fast attack
space marine bike squad-150 pts (x2)
-x2 bikes
-x2 grav guns
- power sword/ axe?

Heavy support
centurion devastator squad-280 pts (x2)
-x3 twin-linked lascannons
-x3 missile launcher

Stalker-75 pts

Total- 2000 points

Now is the basic idea here is the centurions and the bikes squads are diversions from the Crusaders squads, they basically are a sacrificial units the Centurions and will be going after any armor vehicle the bikes squads will be going after heavy infantry.

All the while the Crusader squads are advancing up the middle why they are taking the brunt of the enemy attack.

Now I wanted to stick with pure infantry, but the need for some anti-air is a must so that's how the stalker made it in the list, so by all means feel free to criticize my list.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nice looking list, the black tide has been a list that I like and use a fair bit of. I like this list and I believe it will do well.

some changes you might want to have a think about is maybe reducing the size of the units and adding another. Maybe look at having 4 squads of troops with 10 initiates and 5 neo rather than the 3 squads of 10 and 10. Also just another thought not sure about having boltguns with bolt pistols and chainswords in the same unit. if you use the boltguns once they are in rapid fire range you are effectively removing your chance for assault, so either units full of boltguns, or full of polt pistols and chainswords. The latter will just run in the shooting phase until they get close enough. remember your just using your neo's as a mobile shield to soak up the wounds just to buy you hopefully two turns of free movement to get you into close combat.

The advantage you have as the Templars is that as long as you have more initiates than neo's you will be using the majority armour saves in the unit which pretty much will give your neo's a 3+ save, and leave them at the front and they are the casualties that get removed first so you should hit your opponent with all your initiates in tact.

Also if you are going to run the full CC squads swap the plasma gun for a melta gun, as this is still an assault based weapon where as with the plasma gun you will either fire it and stop your unit from running or you don't fire it so that your unit can run and then it is wasted because it is not being utilised.

The one element that i'm not to sure about is having 2 units of 2 bikes (if I read that right). in keeping with the spirit of the black tide a thought would be to use 2 tooled up assault squads. Use them to follow up behind your troops units and when close enough jump over your units to assault the enemy.

this is the troops build I use for my the black tide
my CC unit I use is
10x initiates w/ CCW
-sword brother w/ power weapon, plasma pistol and melta bombs
-1 melta gun
5x neophytes w/ ccw

my shooting unit is
10x initiates
-sword brother plasma pistol, power weapon
-plasma gun
-heavy bolter
5x neo's w/ boltguns

your list looks good and these are just my thoughts, those are just a few ideas to think about.

my only other advice when using the black tide is use the unit coherency to max value keep your guys at the 2 inch rule so as not to be to worried about pie plates.

No Pity, No Remorse, No Fear

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
First and foremost sorry for taking so long to reply back, but here's a revised list based on some of your advice.

HQ
helbrecht- 180 points

Troops
crusader squad (x3) - 245 points each
- sword brethren
- pair of lightning claws
- 8 initiates with bolt pistols & chainswords
- initiate with a power axe
- 5 neophytes with bolt pistols & chainswords

Crusader squad (x2) - 245 points each
- sword brethren
- grav pistol
- x8 initiates with bolters
- initiate with a plasma gun
- initiate with a plasma cannon
- x5 neophytes with bolters

With the crusader squads I added a fourth squad, then I messed with it some more an was able to fit a third cqc crusader squad to get 5 scoring unit's out there. Plus instead of giving the cqc crusader squads a melta if there going to run it would still be a waste so I went and armed my sword brethren with a pair of lightning claws.

Fast attack
Space marine bike squad (x3) - 150 points each
- x2 grav guns
- power sword
- 2 additional bike's

Now as far as assault marines go they just don't pack the same level of punch as the bike squads do. An with bike's I'm still being fluffy.

Heavy support
hunter - 70 points

Stalker - 75 points

Now with the Hunter's inclusion it was more to see how well it does for my self, but the stalker is the main anti-air unit.

Total points 2,000

·
Registered
564 Posts
Fair call about the bikes, i've never owned any so i have never used them. i like the look of the new list. Also having five units, 2 that can sit on an objectives once your cc squad slaughters it's way through is nice. Good luck slaying the heretic.

No Pity, No Remorse, No Fear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts