Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Hive_Mind here!

Just wondering if you'd be kind enough to critique this 2000 point list I made, any help would be appreciated :)

Hive Tyrant:
Hive Commander
Indescribable Horror
Old Adversary
Regeneration
Scything Talons
Lash Whip and Bone Sword

3 Tyrant Guard w/ Crushing Claws

20 Hormagaunts w/ toxin sacs
20 Hornmgaunts w/ toxin sacs
30 Termagants w/ Fleshborers
30 Termagants w/ Fleshborers (attached to Tervigon)
Tervigon w/ scything talons, dessicator larvae, cluster spines, norn crown and regeneration

Harpy w/ t/l Heavy Venom Cannon

2 Carnifexes w/ Crushing claws and scything talons
Exocrine
Trygon Prime

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hive Tyrant:
Hive Commander
Indescribable Horror
Old Adversary
Regeneration
Scything Talons
Lash Whip and Bone Sword

3 Tyrant Guard w/ Crushing Claws

20 Hormagaunts w/ toxin sacs
20 Hornmgaunts w/ toxin sacs
30 Termagants w/ Fleshborers
30 Termagants w/ Fleshborers (attached to Tervigon)
Tervigon w/ scything talons, dessicator larvae, cluster spines, norn crown and regeneration

Harpy w/ t/l Heavy Venom Cannon

2 Carnifexes w/ Crushing claws and scything talons
Exocrine
Trygon Prime
Okay, so if you will bear with me, this response will be quite lengthy.

First, HQ. CC Tyrants are great but slow so you're going to want to throw adrenal glands on the Tyrant. This provides the unit with fleet and furious charge but the important thing is fleet. This means you can reroll poor run moves and a charge die or dice. Definitely needed here. Second thing here is I find Indescribable horror a poor upgrade. Most things that you actually care are WS 1 against your tyrant are immune to fear anyway, so its not a big deal to have this upgrade. If you really need to spend 10 points, I would go with more hormagaunts. Also, depending on what you're outflanking, hive commander may not be necessary either.

Moving on, the troops. I don't know what you mean by "attached to tervigon" but the tervigon cannot actually join the squad. Additionally, I don't think you need 2 squads of 30 termagants, one of those squads would be better as two squads of 15. It provides you with a lot more options during the game to have more squads. Sure, it's a liability in KP missions but that is only 1 of 12 missions and only a few tactical objectives revolve around killing squads. That being said, I really don't consider termagants worth their points. They are fairly slow, suck in CC, and have a short range gun. I think the best reason to take them is to unlock a tervigon as troops (but I don't really consider a tervigon that useful either anymore). So that 2nd squad of termagants could be 14 hormagaunts. Sure, that's less than half the bodies but they will claim objectives faster and be a bigger threat.

Back to the tervigon. I would personally take stinger salvo over spines and here is why. With that template weapon, it means it will not be firing its spines due to the risk of scattering on yourself or your gants. Additionally, you have 100 gants - that means there is a good chance you'll hit your own. Finally, the stinger salvo can be used in a pinch against fliers. In a 2 v 2 tournament I once attended, a friend and I ran two similar tyranid lists except that he ran spines and I ran the salvo. In 3 games he never shot the spines. I shot salvo every game and managed to take off the final HP of a heldrake on back armour. Yeah, that's a long shot - but it was awesome. The spines short range just makes it very unappealing as a large blast.

Toxin sacs while handy, really make those hormagaunt squads pricey. That is 60 extra points for toxin which lost some of its appeal in 7th edition. That could be 10 gargoyles or even 12 more hormagaunts. I would consider dropping toxin on one squad. It helps against tough MCs but overall it is a huge point investment and typically more bodies is better with gaunts/gants. I would even consider dropping toxin from one squad and replacing it with adrenal so that the squad can take out light transports (something your army lacks). With the 20 points you save you can throw devourers on some termagants or if you also lost indescribable horror - you could throw regen on that trygon prime (more on him later though).

Harpies are alright - not really my thing so I won't say much more here. TL Venom cannon seems good though.

Fexes seem fine. I prefer to run single broods but besides dropping the Trygon Prime (something I would consider) there isn't a way to achieve this. I find dakka fexes to be of much better utility than CC fexes but with no other way to deal with AV 14, it seems this is the only choice.

Exocrine - seems fine.

Trygon Prime - this guy used to be pretty good (though I prefer normal trygons but you need synapse), however, in the new dex he was just hit with too many nerfs. A loss of an attack (granted gained back through having two sets of melee weapons) and the loss of rerolls has really made the Trygon not that much better over a lot of other options. Additionally, I always found running trygons in pairs a much better strategy than running a single one. I would consider dropping this guy and grabbing more bodies and perhaps zoeys for synapse and psychic support.

Something else of note, is finding points to take the endless swarm formation. You're already pretty close to taking it but you lose objective secured. However, I think this would benefit you greatly. However, I have heard trygons work great with endless swarm so if you do go that route you may want to keep the trygon.

Final notes, you lack anti-air and your snyapse web is pretty poor for 2000 points. Your synapse creatures are pretty tough but if they go down, your gaunts will be easy pickings. Hope some of this helps and I would be happy to discuss any of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly appreciate the help, and no worries with work I can understand how busy it can be, if you're willing to help out more I look forward to your response!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I honestly appreciate the help, and no worries with work I can understand how busy it can be, if you're willing to help out more I look forward to your response!
haha, I was actually able to finish right after that. Let me know what you think as well as some of your tactics for the list.

One thing I forgot to add, putting a single venomthrope would really help the Tyrant survive. If he and his guards are behind gaunts than they should get a 3+ cover save against most shooting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tactics, I haven't a clue...... I guess I'd Move the troops forward, backed up with synapse, and Carnifexes homing in on transport/armour etc. maybe a Venomthrope would help a cover save, I've heard they're quite good.... Here's a list of what I'll be getting model wise, would it be better to make a 2000 point list from that?

Reason I'm saying that is the fact that my high elf army sold, and the cash I'm buying a very large tyranid army from someone:

10 Gargoyles(Plastic, unbuilt)
40 Termagaunts(plastic, partially Built)
40 Hormaguants(Plastic, partially Built)
5 Carnifexes(Plastic, 2 Built)
12 Warriors(Plastic, 12 Built)
1 Hive Tyrant(Plastic, Unbuilt)
1 Codex(New one)
1 Harpy(Plastic, built)

25 painted Termagaunts (would need stripping)
15 painted hormagaunts (would need stripping)
8 Painted Genestealers
3 metal Raveners
1 Old One eye
Tyrannofex
3 raveners

Reckon we have something to work with? :p

·
Registered
467 Posts
Tactics, I haven't a clue...... I guess I'd Move the troops forward, backed up with synapse, and Carnifexes homing in on transport/armour etc. maybe a Venomthrope would help a cover save, I've heard they're quite good.... Here's a list of what I'll be getting model wise, would it be better to make a 2000 point list from that?

Reason I'm saying that is the fact that my high elf army sold, and the cash I'm buying a very large tyranid army from someone:

10 Gargoyles(Plastic, unbuilt)
40 Termagaunts(plastic, partially Built)
40 Hormaguants(Plastic, partially Built)
5 Carnifexes(Plastic, 2 Built)
12 Warriors(Plastic, 12 Built)
1 Hive Tyrant(Plastic, Unbuilt)
1 Codex(New one)
1 Harpy(Plastic, built)

25 painted Termagaunts (would need stripping)
15 painted hormagaunts (would need stripping)
8 Painted Genestealers
3 metal Raveners
1 Old One eye
Tyrannofex
3 raveners

Reckon we have something to work with? :p

Most definitely, you'll have a ton of models.

Is this is in addition to your original list posted or is this is the total amount of things you have?

Either way, I think to be semi-competitive and still fun a solid 2k list could look something like this

Hive Tyrant: wings, 2 x BL devourers - 230
Hive Tyrant: bone sword, lash, old adversary, talons, adrenal glands, electroshock grubs - 260

2 Tyrant Guard w/ 2 x Crushing Claws - 140

15 Hormagaunts w/ toxin sacs - 120
15 Hornmgaunts w/ toxin sacs - 120
3 x warriors /barbed strangler -100

Harpy w/ TL Heavy Venom Cannon - 140
Harpy w/ TL Heavy Venom Cannon - 140

Formation:
Bio Blast Node
Tyrannofex w/acid spary and electroshock grubs -185
Carnifex w/ 2 x TL Brainleech Devourers - 150
3 xTyranid warriors w/barbed strangler, 2 x deathspitter - 115

That's 1995. It is a little low on synapse, anti-flier, and on objective secured units but it has a lot of shooting and isn't too bad at long range shooting. I think the bio-blast node is pretty great because it allows the units that are withing 12 of the warriors to reroll 1's to wound when shooting. Meaning against most units, your fexs should be wounding with everything they hit with. Additionally, the fexes can provide some anti-flier if needed. They also deal with high AV pretty well even at only str 9.

I like CC Tyrants in this addition but they are painfully slow. I almost think a CC Tyrant with wings and without the guard is almost just survivable (due to jink) and is much more likely to make it into close combat. I prefer crones over harpies but even those have lost some of my love in 7th. I personally think the point could be better spent elsewhere but I tried to keep to your original list quite a bit.

I also can't justify the cost of toxin on hormagaunts but at the same time everytime I have mine in close combat I wish they had toxin. However, every time a squad just gets wiped by shooting turn 1 or 2 I'm always happy they were so cheap. So I suppose you have to decide if the upgrade is worth it, or having like 15 more gaunts is more worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts