Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first go with the new book. I'm going to be using it to try and test out lore combinations along with seeing how the old units perform under the new book.

Spell weaver, lvl 4, longbow, 4+ ward 270 (Shadow)
Spell weaver, lvl 4, longbow 225 (High)

Glade Captain, HoDA, BSB, enchanted shield 135

15x Dryads 165 (most probably deployed in a venomthicket)
17x GG w/ Trueflight, standard 265
10x GG w/ Hagbane, flaming banner 170

6 Treekin 270

Treeman, strangleroots 245
Treeman, strangleroots 245

Level 4, longbow, 4+ ward

Glade captain, BSB, HoDA, TF arrows
Waystalker

20 Eternal guard, FC
10 glade guard, TF arrows
10 glade guard, TF arrows
10 glade guard, Hag arrows, standard, flaming

5 wild riders, standard
5 Sisters, standard

9 Waywatchers
5 waywatchers

Treeman

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly the local club is obsessed with 40k most of the time so I havent been able to test out the first of the lists. Still waiting on feedback for the second list before i invest i the missing models.

I've reviewed it myself and seen the error that banner of flame doesnt work with the wood elf arrows as they count as magical weapons. I'm left with a dilema of do i want poison and save a few points or do i want flaming and have to invest in starfire arrows in place.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was thinking about dual lord mages too but leave one at level 3 (take shadow and high magic) stick em in a sisters unit with the MR(1) banner for a 2 up magic ward as things like pit of shades (or whatever it is now) will have little use on High I units.

I was unsure on Core though. EG seem to be taking a lot of hate? They don't seem bad to me if in a wood and a lot of them. Then just take vast quantities of Chaff from the specials and rares? Plus it would be a block to stick a BSB and level 1 dispel caddy and maybe Wardancer to make use of the "you have no ranks" dance if they get charged.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent seen much EG hate. Personally i think their amazing, they come stubbon leadership 9 with AP spears. Thats some massive upgrades over high and dark spearmen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
They seem good to me too. But on some other forums a couple of guys swore blind that GG are the only way to fulfill the Core. They were talking mainly Tournament setting when there would be DeathStars to deal with.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is even in a deathstar enviroment a core stubbon unit is worth its weight in gold. Tournament deathstar lists often have uber unit and lots of chaffy stuff. Even a 10 man EG unit can run 1 wide 10 deep and hold a deathstar while your massivly mobile shooty elements pick apart the chaff and claim points.

Thing to remember - EG dont need rank bonus when trying to hold up. Even a single model left is still LD9 and stubbon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Might try a large block in a poison tree and stick my BSB, level 1, maybe a Wardancer hero and level 3 high magic in there.

Then skirmishing glade guard and other stuff. Is it 40 for horde formation? And is it worth it?

Edit: Should probably put into towards your actual list too, sorry. Maybe drop 4 waywatchers and use the 80 points to buff other units or get a great eagle in to war machine hunt?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its 10 wide for horde. 10 front rank attacks, 10 2nd rank supporting, 10 3rd for spears, 10 4th for horde rule, 10 5th rank for forst stalker rule in woods. so assuming you wanted to get the most out of a horde your looking at a unit of 60ish (i normally take max attacks i can get plus 10 for getting to combat) That said 50ish of these guys isnt worth it. The unit will appear in lists to act as an anvil and in that case your better off running with 20-30 tops. If you want killing power in combat you can spend the points saved on wild riders to flank charge and blow the unit away. A unit of 5 will dish out 15 S5 AP attacks plus 5 S4 hits and 5 S4 stomps.

-----------------------------------------

Level 4, longbow, 4+ ward 270

Glade captain, BSB, HoDA, Hagbane 133
Waystalker 90

20 Eternal guard, FC 250
10 glade guard, Hagbane arrows 150

5 wild riders, standard 140
5 Sisters, standard(flaming), musician 160

8 Waywatchers 160
5 waywatchers 100

Treeman, strangeroots 245

This is my most recent list alteration. Looking at the math, poison is a tad better than trueflight, so long as i dont move and shoot long rage at the same time. 1 waywatcher removed to place a musician and banner of flame on the sisters (they CAN have poison flaming spears even if my archers cant have bows to do it) and lastly strangeroot is in for some S5 shooting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Looks good. Dunno about the lone treeman (new model is nice though), I'm use to the whole adage of take 2 big creatures or none at all. You'll have too keep me updated on how it performs as I won't be in a position to get the models myself for a few months til my Astra Militarum are painted.

Would be nice to know the potential of units in actual game rather than mathhammer/theory crafting.

Obviously you aren't obligated to do so =P.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
No real benefit to the longbow on the Spellweaver.

Can the glade captain take enchanted arrows with a BSB, or is that only with a magical BSB?

Not sure what good only 20 Eternal Guard will do. 15 S3 AP attacks are not all that.

Archer's look good, but Plaguebearers will slaughter you - and daemons should always run a Plagueblob (or they did back when i played). Considering you now have to be static, I recommend Swiftshiver. 60GG nets you 40 hits with Swiftshiver at long range, 60 hits at short. 60GG with Trueflight nets you 40 all the time. By the math, Swiftshiver is better against all but those with with -X to hit effects.

What do the Wild Riders do for you? They don't hit all that hard and you have nothing really backing them up. 15 ASF S5 AP Attacks on the charge are okay. After then? You're not going to break anything with that. Thanks to stepup, units which you want to send them after will likely kill you. Against hordes? You're better off sending big blocks of buffed Wildwood Rangers.or Treekin.

What do the Sisters do for you? The spells are utter gash, and losing 3 of them to a miscast is very painful.

Needs more waywatchers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No real benefit to the longbow on the Spellweaver.
longbow because the list has spare points so why the hell not

Can the glade captain take enchanted arrows with a BSB, or is that only with a magical BSB?
Only if its a magical banner

Not sure what good only 20 Eternal Guard will do. 15 S3 AP attacks are not all that.
These will be deployed in my wood (or moved up into it midfield) which will be venom thicket. 21 S3 AP poisoned attacks. The units stubbon so doesnt need ranked and if anyone attacks it in the wood then their ranks dont count. Its in the list to fill core and cockblock units.

Archer's look good, but Plaguebearers will slaughter you - and daemons should always run a Plagueblob (or they did back when i played). Considering you now have to be static, I recommend Swiftshiver. 60GG nets you 40 hits with Swiftshiver at long range, 60 hits at short. 60GG with Trueflight nets you 40 all the time. By the math, Swiftshiver is better against all but those with with -X to hit effects.
There have been several posts on the math of all the arrows and aside from when moving and at long rage the poison arrows come out on top. To top that off i'm not concerned about a plagebearer horde, wood elves love to feed hordes cheap units while they dance around shooting all the smaller units.

What do the Wild Riders do for you? They don't hit all that hard and you have nothing really backing them up. 15 ASF S5 AP Attacks on the charge are okay. After then? You're not going to break anything with that. Thanks to stepup, units which you want to send them after will likely kill you. Against hordes? You're better off sending big blocks of buffed Wildwood Rangers.or Treekin.
The wild riders are a mop up unit. Wood elves shoot well, so the shooting does it thing as people walk across. Treeman and EG block and take the charges while the wild riders push a flank to set up for a counter charge into flanks and rears. Wood elves are not a combat army. If you look at wood elves and expect them to do well in drawn out combats then your doing it wrong. Even the wildwood rangers arnt designed to fight a protracted fight, their definatly not white lions. and treekin....are again an anvil unit, dropping to S4 means they wont win anything in a strait up run at each other fight.

What do the Sisters do for you? The spells are utter gash, and losing 3 of them to a miscast is very painful.
Firstly i'm a little shocked anyone would ever call the curse of Anraheir 'utter gash'. I rate this as one of the top spells in all of the 8 lores. Not only does it give the target unit, within a massive 36 inch range, a -1 to hit in shooting and close combat BUT if they march, charge, flee or overrun 1/3 of the unit takes a wound with the armour saves.......and the sisters can 3 dice cast it. Now imagine an army that has that spell combined with enough shooting to force panic tests if you will. Shield of thorns is a pretty trash spell that is untill you see the lore attribute lets you place a wound back on say....a treeman while at the same time boosting his output in combat. Again a 3 dice cast. I dont know about most but i dont often doublesix on a 3 dice cast, atleast not enough that i would worry about it. Now should they be unlucky they lose D3 not 3 and there is no follow up effect, no dice lost, so the magic phase continues.

Needs more waywatchers.
Here I agree, but I want a treeman (so much fun painting the new one at the moment) and at their points cost i just cant fit more in. (in fact i've just noticed i'm 5 points over 25% allowance for rare so i might have to drop one more or strangeroots - need to look at that)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where are you getting the "ranks are ignored if in woods" rule from? Have I missed something? Can't see it in the general special rules.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mean units in woods cant be steadfast. Slight confusion of it in my head, but it means as long as they can hold, a flank charge on a unit in the woods from say wild riders can be devastating.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So first test game out of the way. List i played with was...

Level 4, longbow, 4+ ward 270

Glade captain, BSB, HoDA, Hagbane 133
Waystalker, bow of loren 110

20 Eternal guard, FC 250

6 Waywatchers 120
6 waywatchers 120

Treeman, strangeroots 245

I played daemons with soemthing along the lines of...

ASF bloodthirster
Skulltaker
khorn bsb
lvl 1 plague herald
23 bloodletters
19 plague bearers
2 nurgling bases
skullcannon
soul grinder
2 units of 5 khorn hounds.

Now i total'ed it up afterwards and i think he may have actually been running a 2200pt list :(

Things i've learnt:
-Waystalkers snipe will bounce off a high T character turn and turn again. Sniped at the plague herald all game and did nothing.
-Sisters really didint have much they could kill nor any good targets for their spells. They did however running circles and providing a great distraction.
-Wild riders should never flank charge an asf bloodthirster, even if he is busy fighting a treeman. I wanted to make him choose between getting smacked about lots or accepting he'd still be in combat with my 1 wound treeman for another turn. He chose the treeman to live.
-Even with poison, something fast with decent toughness/save (hounds) isnt to easy to focus fire dead.
-30 poison glade guard and hail of doom against T1 withered bloodletters makes khorn both happy and sad at the same time. Killed about 15 turn one.
-Lore of shadow works perfect with this list. So many ways to swing the fight to your favor.

Dispite throwing a few units away to delay i managed to pull out a 1k margin of victory. Took the combined effort of Treeman, wild riders and finally a mindrazored half strong unit of EG to take down the bloodthirster, but even if they haddent he would have been tied up for 4 turns. Turn 1 i melted the bloodletters and the rest of the game was try and grab points from units where i could.

Looking forward to the next matchup....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the below will be my next version of the list to test. Re-jiggled the points to get 10 of the glade guard into scouts and dropped a few items here and there to make changes to the Spellweaver. Now with the moonstone spellweaver and bsb in the EG unit, only the 2 small GG units are immobile.

I'm also tempted to try dark magic. I'm not sure if anyone has had a go with it but i figure doombolt/ruby ring will lend alot of potential firepower into a good magic phase.

Level 4 (dark), Moonstone, Ruby ring 285

Glade captain, BSB, HoDA 130

20 Eternal guard, FC 250

5 Deepwood scouts, Hagbane arrows 80

6 Waywatchers 120
6 waywatchers 120

Treeman 225

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Next incarnation of the list:

Level 4 (Shadow), Moonstone, 4+ ward 305

Glade captain, Great weapon, Charmed shield, HoDA, Starfire shafts 118

15 Eternal guard, FC 210
10 glade guard, Trueflight arrows 150
10 glade guard, Trueflight arrows 150

5 wild riders, standard(gleaming) 155
5 Sisters, standard(lichbone), musician 165
5 Wardancers 75

10 Waywatchers 200
10 Waywatchers 200

EG 15 strong as a teleporting mage bunker.

Dropped the Glade captain from bsb status, in the games i've played he hasnt really been needed so i'll save 25 points and reinvest. Beefed him up for combat on the cheap too. S6 I7 with the charmed shield to 2+ the first hit allowing him to function in challanges with something fast enough to actually get to the EG bunker.

Wild riders upgraded with gleaming standard to counter lack of bsb for their frenzy test. Sisters upgraded with lichbone for 3+ ward against magic missiles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts