Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the first ever orc and goblin list i've made so i think i'll probably need help since i'm coming in blind when it comes to what they can do, so i could use some help thanks :) Plus my list is based on Grimgor since my friend says his force is based on Archaon. Also i've tried to do it so i get the jump on him since he has two or three units of knights. i don't want an army that ill gurantee win at first just one i can have fun with fighting his. My other friend has high elves which i'm guessing includes loads of shooting so i'm sure this force will fall easily to him.

Grimgor Ironhide- 375

Orc Big Boss
Spear
Shield
Heavy armour
Boar
Bigged's kicking Boots

Orc Shaman
level 2
Staff of Baduumm

Night Goblin shaman
level 2
1 Magic mushroom
Dispel Scroll

25 Orcs with two choppas
Full Command

29 Night Goblins
Full command
3 Fanatics

30 Night Goblins
Full command
3 Fanatics

Da Immortulz- 19 Black Orcs
Full command
Shields
Gork's Waagh Banner

7 Big 'Uns Boar Boyz
Full command

Orc Boar Chariot- 80

Total- 1998

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd replace the Night Goblin Shaman's Power Stone with a Dispel Scroll. Sometimes there are spells that you absolutely have to stop.

Your units are a bit small. 20 Orcs and especially 20 Night Goblins will be very easy to panic. I'd field them in units of 30 at the least (maybe 25 minimum for Orcs). Orcs generally have low leadership, so it's important to minimize the amount that you'll be rolling for Panic.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
The veteran O&G player in my area uses units of 25 Orks, 35+ Gobbos, and a handfull of both Chariots and Warmachines. He does very well, winning the vast majority of his games, and several of the local WHFB tourneys.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
don't give your bhero a great weapon when they are mounted because it only gives them +1 strength

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is this a bit better?

Grimgor Ironhide- 375

Orc Big Boss
Spear
Shield
Heavy armour
Boar
Bigged's kicking Boots

Orc Shaman
level 2
Staff of Baduumm

Night Goblin shaman
level 2
1 Magic mushroom
Dispel Scroll

25 Orcs with two choppas
Full Command

29 Night Goblins
Full command
3 Fanatics

30 Night Goblins
Full command
3 Fanatics

Full command
Shields
Gork's Waagh Banner

7 Big 'Uns Boar Boyz
Full command

Orc Boar Chariot- 80

Had to drop a full unit of Night goblins to boost the other two units up, will the magic compensate for a lack of ranged stuff?

Total- 1998

·
Registered
176 Posts
That looks pretty solid to me.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I'd give the orc shaman a couple dispel scrolls instead of the staff. While green magic is good, it's better to not be on the receiving end of High Elf, Empire, and most importantly, Undead magic. Anything that you can do to prevent the boyz from getting spooked is a good thing.

It looks okay otherwise. Not my style, but it'll probably work out.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Btw what do you think is better with grimgor, Gork's Waagh Banner or Nogg's banner of butchery, one could effectivly allow me to move 20" in one turn the other could wipe out a unit if i get the charge.

Will the Boar Boyz and Chariot benough for a flank manovuer or do i need wolf riders in, cause i could drop the black orc boss and try and squeezes a unit of wolf riders in.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've Edited the list a bit since you need ranks of 5 to get a rank bonus i took out the orc big boss and the big uns and replaced them with some much needed magical protection, mobility and ranged power.

Grimgor Ironhide- 375

Orc Shaman
level 2
2 Dispel Scroll

Night Goblin shaman
level 2
1 Magic mushroom
Dispel Scroll

25 Orcs with two choppas
Full Command

29 Night Goblins
Full command
3 Fanatics

30 Night Goblins
Full command
3 Fanatics

Full command
Shields
Gork's Waagh Banner

10 Wolf Riders- 146
Spear and Bows
Musician

10 Wolf Riders- 146
Spear and Bows
Musician

Orc Boar Chariot- 80

2 Spear Chucka's- 80
2 Orc Bullies

Total- 1998

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
No one think anything about it?
I think I have a question.

What are your Night Goblin units actually for? Are the only a fanatic delivery system? If so, it doesn't actually matter that much if they hang around after, I dunno, let's say turn 2, does it? If that's the case, do they really need full command? After all, that's a good chunk of points, which are there to keep the unit steady, because you can't afford to lose all those points... that you didn't need to spend, I don't think.

Forgive me if I'm missing the bleeding obvious, sometimes I do. Just a thought, that's all.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well they are mainly their to supply the fanatics yeah but they also there to try hold down a unit or to flank on the units my orc charges as i expect the orcs to get to the enemy faster.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not too much to comment on the most recent list beyond what I've already said.

It's a mistake to rely on Night Goblins with anything. Still, a big unit with command is less easy to just ignore.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
That was kinda why I asked. I don't see big units of Night Goblins being all that useful myself, unless there's about 40 of them and they've got bows - because even though they're rubbish, you can't ignore 40 little dudes shooting at you, I mean, something's gonna hit, sooner or later. Just not sure that 30 little guys with no ranged attacks and full command is the most useful thing once the fanatics have flown. It just seems like a bit of a point-sink to me.

I can see the point about them tying units up or flank-attacking units that are in combat with your orcs, if you've got someone charging and you're pulling them out of position or whatever, but really, as Asmodai says, they're not all that reliable. I'd definitely argue that if their main purpose is fanatic delivery, make them cheap and expedable, set the fanatics off, then forget about the rest of the unit. And with the points you've saved, buy more orcs.

On the other hand, I lose a lot, so what do I know :wink:?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah i know what you are on about, i was going to have them as 20 strong before but was told to make them bigger if they are going to be at all useful. With the points i would save from making them smaller i doubt i would be able to make a useful orc regiment as they are 205 for 25 if i cut them down to units of 20 i would be left with 60 points.

I won't be relying on them really, as i said they are useful for flanks and their rank bonus, but with a unit of black orcs with grimgor and a big unit of orcs they are only there to be meddlesom, every turn that the oponent diverts pressure from my orcs and black orcs and attacks my goblins is one turn more in which my orcs can run riot in their army. Having said that even though i've got the new rule book i'm still going off my experience of the previous edition

how would you arrange the night goblins, 5 ranks of 6? Also would you have the spear chuckas with the bullies or another chariot?

sorry i'm asking so many questions but i'll be buying alot soon and i want to be totally sure what to buy :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
First up, absolutely no need to apologise, questions are good (as you know, I ask plenty about 40k - and for exactly the same reason; once superglue has been applied to expensively-purchased boxed set, it's a bit late to go "oh, hang on, what I really should have done was...")

Secondly, I'm not trying to get you not to have a large Night Goblin unit, I'm really not, I'm just trying to get you to think about it - what it's for, how much you can do with it; it's absolutely right that if you want it hang around and do stuff, it needs to be big and it needs full command. I'm just trying to get you to consider if you really need it to do stuff afterwards. If the answer is an unequivocal "yes!" that's fine; if it's "well, I don't really know..." then I'd urge you to think about why you really have it.

Thirdly, sorry, I'm not exactly being clear; for one thing, I'm still not using the new army book, and I'm not sure the way fanatics work now - is it that you can add one fanatic for every 10 night goblins, or did I just imagine that was the current way it works? For another thing, you certainly wont save enough points to get a new orc unit (maybe some arrer boyz, that's about it really); I meant beefing up the ork units you had by a few more, that's all.

Lastly, the chariot question... oh god, I can't tell you, sorry. I'd fight and scrape to take 2 spear chukkas and as many chariots as you can. They can both be game-saving units. And chariots especially look really cool.

Good luck with this.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You can have a maximum of three fanatics in units now :) Making the night goblins smaller and putting more orcs in a unit is something i'll seriously consider during play testing since atleast i know i'll have the extra models to try them out :)

I have a one spare special free so i was considering either a new chariot which i like supporting units but already have one or the bolt throwers which can make your enemy think about where he puts his units as well as being good at taking down large creatures, chariots and hurting units if they hit. Both equalling have advantages and disadvantages i just can't decide. Guess i'll have to play test both :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts