Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! So, as I have nearly bought, built and painted my entire 1500 list, I am looking to expand my Legion and figured the next logical step would be a 500 point increment. So, this list uses some stuff from my previous list, as well as some new things.

HQ:

Legion Praetor + Terminator Armour + Paragon Blade + Iron Halo + Volkite Charger + Sonic Shriekers = 177 points

Elites:

Apothecarion Detachment (2 Apothecaries) = 90 points

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought + 2 Kheres Assault Cannons = 180 points

Legion Terminator Squad (5 men) + Reaper Autocannon = 190 points

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (10 men) + x2 Heavy Bolter with Suspensor Web = 240 points

Troops:

Legion Tactical squad (20 men) = 250 points

Legion Assault squad (10 men) + x1 Artificer Armour + x1 Phoenix Spear = 275 points

Fast Attack:

Legion Outrider Squad (3 men) + 3 twin-linked melta-guns = 165 points

Heavy Support:

Legion Heavy Support squad (5 men) + x5 Lascannons + Augury Scanner = 240 points

Legion Heavy Support squad (5 men) + x5 Volkite Culverins + Augury Scanner= 190 points

Total: 1997 points

So, the theory is this:

Praetor goes with the terminator squad. They spend the first 2 turns-ish running (helped by the Emperor's Children all having Crusader) and then hopefully get their teeth stuck into some units to start hacking them apart. If I need to, I can always declare Pride of the Legion and give objective secured to the terminators and the veterans.

The apothecaries sit with the two heavy support squads whilst they provide covering fire for the advancing units. The augury scanners help is my opponent deep strikes a nasty unit too close to them, as they get pseudo-interceptor. The lascannons hunt tanks, the volkites mow down infantry/glance to death tanks with AV=/<12

The assault squad does it's thing or running forward.

The Outriders run around, killing things the las-cannons can't or won't, and generally ruining heavy vehicles before running away to hide on an objective somewhere.

The Contemptor fills 2 roles. Either a mid-range lawn-mower, with it's 12 shots S6 AP 4 Rending. Or, leave it standing still from turn 2 onwards, at which point it become an AA gun (gaining skyfire and interceptor).

The tactical squad serves as an all purpose objective holder/mid-range support thing, mainly gunning down my opponent's infantry and maybe wrecking a light vehicle or two.

The veteran squad is another dual purpose unit. If I am facing big beasties (nids/greater daemons/wraithknights/riptides and the like) then give them sniper so they all wound on 4+ and get Rending (which might help if I was facing a fair amount of 2+ saves). Failing that, give them something like Outflank and they can run around back and chew up some squishy unit.

So, that is the list. Comments and criticisms welcomed :victory:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
This sort of explains how 2K lists don't do well with 30K Legions.

Praetors, I find, struggle to find their worth at this level of points. A Master of Signal who can bring a couple of basilisk shots to the table can do a similar level of damage for around half the points, as well as giving his BS5 to a Heavy Support Squad. A Praetor is useful for its ability to manipulate the CAD/FOC when you want to bring a Super Heavy instead of a Primarch - so usually around 2.5Kpoints.

Alternatively, a Primus Medicae with Phoenix Power Spear, Meltabombs, Sonic Shrieker and Boarding Shield is reasonably effective.

With the Veteran Squad, the Volkite Charger is slightly more cost effective (-3" range and AP5 in return for deflagrate) when move and firing - it saves you 20pts, and encourages you to try and get your bolters into range rather than sitting at 18" and attempting to kite.

I'm not sure that normal Terminators make the best use out of the Crusader rule - you really want it for ensuring that you catch what you kill. If you are insistent on taking a Praetor, and then footslogging it with Terminators, then taking a Volkite and a Reaper Autocannon is wasted points. Combined with the changes above, taking the Veterans with Volkites, that gives you 49pts to spend - essentially, +1 Terminator, a Grenade Harness and a Phoenix Power Spear, or dropping the Grenade Harness for some Power Fists to take on Dreadnoughts and other walkers/monstrous creatures, something that the unit suffers against (even with access to Axes). In regards to how you're equipping your Power Weapons, how are you doing so? Most splits tend to be 3x Axes and 2x Swords in 30K due to to rarity/expense of AP2 compared to ease of 2+ Save access, or even 5x Axes, but that obviously changes in 30K, where things like Orks.

The Assault Squad, I'm yet to be sold on. Combat in general sucks, and there's better delivery for AP2 - namely terminators. And 27.5pts a model for AP-? I'm not sold at all. Compare that to Palatine Blades - 8 of them and Sonic Shriekers, and you get the ability to initiate/accept challenges if that's your thing for I6 Challenges, plus rending. Now, yes, of course, they're elites, which means you either need to lose the Veteran's apothecary, or something similar to free up the slot, or make use of Pride of the Legion to put the Veterans as Objective Secured (asked the FW office, they said to treat troops or Implacable Advance as Objective Secured).

It is a completely different view on the Legion tactics - the Emperor's Chidlren is a really underpowered Legion, even when compared with things like the Sons of Horus or Night Lords - especially up against Imperial Fists/Iron Hands/Salamanders/Alpha Legion - but the Maru Skara goes some way to making up for that.

I'm not sure yet on how the Maru Skara treats Dreadnought Talons, as they are treated as their own individual units, but if 1-3 option is counted as 1 option for the Maru Skara, you can have 9 Outflanking Contemptor Dreadnoughts up in the enemies grill on Turn 2 without having to roll for reserves, turning you into Alpha Legion-lite (or is that Heavy?).

Prepare to lose friends, however.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your responses :eek:k:

In no real particular order, I'll try and address some things. Starting with I know that the Emperor's Children are one of the most, if not the most, under-powered Legions. What can I say, the heart wants what the heart wants!

The Maru Skara is interesting. It has an additional 85 point tax minimum due to needing to buy a legion Champion, and I don't like the risk associated with forfeiting one victory point just because I don't kill my opponent's warlord. Perhaps at higher points levels where a Legion Champion I can actually tool out become a viable option. I'm also not clear on what the "Heavy" term refers to. Is it just heavy vehicles? Can you not have heavy weapons?

The veterans, good call @Vaz! I had originally included the Heavy Bolters on the theory that they get more shots, hence a higher chance of Rending, but I think I prefer Deflagrate. Although, with respect to the Deflagrate rule, it says that the unit takes the same number of "automatic hits...using the weapon's profile", so presumably these hits lose Sniper and thus might not be able to wound Monsterous Creatures and the like? Other than that, I think Volkite Chargers might be a better option.

Now for the Praetor and Terminators. I think I just want to justify having bought the terminator armoured Praetor (well you have to to get the artificer armoured one) and so I keep trying to crowbar him in and maybe I just won't have a use for him for a while. So, if I get rid of him I could change what the Terminator's role it. Instead of being bound by their killy boss, they could just be mid-field objective holders (especially if their Implacable Advance gives them Objective Secured). In terms of Power Weapons, I was thinking 3x Axes, 2x Swords or 5x Axes. I'm not sure which would be better. Plus, if they are just objective holders, the fact that they can't make the most of Crusader isn't a massive loss.

Now, the assault squad. I know that they are expensive. I think they probably work best when they can benefit from Sonic Shriekers of a Centurion with them, then their weight of attacks can often carry them. Yes they do get shot, frequently, but I take them for two reasons:

1) They are surprisingly good, I find. Either people crap themselves and go "Oh no, an assault squad! Kill it" which frees up my other units, or they are semi-ignored and can usually take out some important threats (frequently things like Thunderfire cannons, Rhinos/Predators and the like). Are they stellar, no, but they get the job done and with Crusader often their marginal wins are enough to carry them through.

2) They are fluffy and I am trying to build a semi-fluffy army whilst also maintaining a competitive/semi-competitive standard.

With all that being said, do we prefer this list:

HQ:

Legion Centurion + Master of Signal = 95 points

Legion Centurion + Artificer Armour + Boarding Shield + Phoenix Spear + Sonic Shriekers +Melta Bombs + Jump pack = 120 points

Elites:

Apothecarion Detachment (2 Apothecaries) = 90 points

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought + 2 Kheres Assault Cannons = 180 points

Legion Terminator Squad (5 men) = 175 points

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (10 men) + x2 Volkite Chargers = 220 points

Troops:

Legion Tactical squad (20 men) = 250 points

Legion Assault squad (10 men) + x1 Artificer Armour + x1 Phoenix Spear + x1 Melta-bomb = 280 points

Fast Attack:

Legion Outrider Squad (3 men) + 3 twin-linked melta-guns = 165 points

Heavy Support:

Legion Heavy Support squad (5 men) + x5 Lascannons = 235 points

Legion Heavy Support squad (5 men) + x5 Volkite Culverins + Augury Scanner= 190 points

Total: 2000 points

Most of the battlefield theory remains unchanged. The terminators now are midfield/home objective holders.

The Master of Signal goes with the Lascannons (hence not needing an Augury Scanner as the Cognis-Signum has one in it) and makes them more effective (which they should be given their points cost). Also, hopefully, he will be near enough to the Volkite Culverins that, should the need arise, he could make them BS5 instead. He will be the warlord and camp, so as to minimize the chances of him dying and my opponent getting a VP. He'll basically always roll on the strategic traits and hope to get something like "Master or Deception" or "Night Fighter" or something similarly useful.

The 5 points saved from the Augury Scanner in the Lascannon squad gives the Assault Squad Melta-bombs just to try and give them a bit more of a bite against tanks etc. The regular Centurion goes with them, adding another melta-bomb and Sonic Shriekers (making the whole squad I5 in the first round of combat). Also, with his I5 base and more AP 2/3, hopefully the assault squad will do more wounds, make their opponents run and then use Crusader to catch them.

What do we think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts