Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm putting together a list for an upcoming campaign mission. It will be on one of the Maelstrom of War missions, and I will probably be fighting Xenos (Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, or Necrons)

CAD:

HQs:
Chaos Lord (200pts)
Daemonheart
MoN
Blight Grenades
PFist/LClaw
Bike
Sigil of Corruption

Chaos Sorcerer (145pts)
Mastery Lvl 3
Spell Familiar
Bike

Troops
Plague Marines x5 (197pts)
Plasma Gun x2
Chaos Rhino
Havoc Launcher

Plasma Gun x2
Rhino
Havoc Launcher

Plasma Gun x2
Chaos Rhino
Havoc Launcher

Elites
Noise Marines x5 (196pts)
Blastmaster
Doom Siren
Sonic Blaster x3
Rhino
Havoc Launcher

Noise Marines x5 (196pts)
Blastmaster
Doom Siren
Sonic Blaster x3
Rhino
Havoc Launcher

Fast Attack
Chaos Bikers x9 (264pts)
Flamer x2
MoN
Combi-Flamer on Champion

Chaos Spawn x5 (180pts)
MoN

Heavy Support
Obliterator x1 (76pts)
MoN

Obliterator x1 (76pts)
MoN

Obliterator x1 (76pts)
MoN

The Plan
The Plague Marines will push to capture objectives while the Noise Marines hold the back line. The Spawn and the Bike squad will tie up their most dangerous units. While the firepower in this list is phenomenal, I do worry a bit about its durability. I have considered swapping out the Noise Marines for a Hellfist Murderpack.

*edit: I realize the Sonic Blasters will probably never be fired, except maybe once in Overwatch, but those 18 points don't really give me much anywhere else.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm all for the Murder Pack. MM, Power Fist, Heavy Flamer, drop them in the enemy and just cackle. They've become my new favorites.

The other option is finding room for a Heldrake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Murderpack is fun, and definitely throws a wrench in the enemy turn. Those 1s on the Crazed table can really screw them over if they aren't facing an enemy in range, or if they're in an assult.

While I love the Heldrake model and the rules on paper, I've never had it make a big difference in a game. 2-3 Baleflamer shots, 3-4 Vector strikes, and maybe it can nab an open objective in the last turn. All in all, not really worth the 170 points.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
The Heldrake is really hard to justify, after the turret-to-fixed-45-degrees ruling on the flamer.

The list looks pretty solid, for the options CSM have on offer. I might srop 2 of the 3 sonic blasters per Noise Marine squad, since only blastmaster+1 can fire out the top hatch. As for what to buy? Well, meltabombs on the sorc is a start--though it feels awkward to leave the other 7 points sitting there.

That biker squad is pretty over-sized, all told: something that specializes in killing bokers will have a field day, earning back more than its points in one turn. I get the urge to have a solid retinue... but I'd rather have 5 or 6 bikers, then 3 more bikers in a meltacide squad. Speaking of which--I don't think there's enough anti-tank here. If you fetch up against 2 Knights or 2 Land Raiders (not unfeasible at 2k points, even when not min-maxed) you won't have enough answers for them. Meltas on bikes instead, and multiple bike squads, I say!

(and if you run up against a Green Tide or a Nid Gant/Gaunt-swarm--well, A] I'm sorry and B] the rest of your list is competent enough to at least give you a fighting chance at playing the mission rather than trying to slaughter the enemy list, I think)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Revised

Revised:

CAD:

HQs:
Chaos Lord (200pts)
Daemonheart
MoN
Blight Grenades
PFist/LClaw
Bike
Sigil of Corruption

Chaos Sorcerer (170pts)
Mastery Lvl 3
Spell Familiar
Sigil of Corruption
Bike

Troops
Plasma Gun x2
Chaos Rhino
Havoc Launcher

Plasma Gun x2
Rhino
Havoc Launcher

Plasma Gun x2
Chaos Rhino
Havoc Launcher

Elites
Noise Marines x10 (317pts)
Blastmaster x2
Icon of Excess
Rhino
Havoc Launcher

Fast Attack
Chaos Bikers x5 (170pts)
Melta x2
MoN
Combi-Melta on Champion

Chaos Bikers x4 (144pts)
Melta x2
MoN
Combi-Melta on Champion

Chaos Spawn x5 (180pts)
MoN

Heavy Support
Obliterator x1 (76pts)
MoN

Obliterator x1 (76pts)
MoN

Obliterator x1 (76pts)
MoN

This revision has a TON more anti-vehicle, especially if I deep-strike the Obliterators. While I lose a little flexibility by combining the two Noise Marine squads, the Icon of Excess makes them much harder to remove.

The Sorc can join the second squad and roll on Telepathy, acting as support, or it can run on Biomancy or Pyromancy to add more offense. Lastly, I can drop his Sigil to an Aura and give him a Balestar for Divination.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Looks pretty solid to me. I'd probably keep Telep or Bio on the Sorc, given that he's not sitting back buffing some lascannon Havoc squad or a Forgefiend or something--you don't need Prescience as much as some of those cool survivability buffs in the other two disciples, on a forward-moving semi-melee unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts