Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I usually play Space Wolves and Orks, but I thought I might give Blood Angels a try. Here's my first attempt at a list. The Librarian goes with the honor guard, and the sanguinary priest goes with the tactical squad (after it splits into combat teams). The Baal Predators are going to outflank.

HQ

Librarian w/shield of sanguinous, blood lance

Honor Guard w/4 flamers, 4 lightning claws, rhino

TROOP

10 Tactical Marines w/flamer, missile launcher, rhino

10 Assault Marines w/2 meltaguns, powerfist, rhino

10 Assault Marines w/2 meltaguns, powerfist, rhino

10 Assault Marines w/2 meltaguns, powerfist, jump packs

ELITE

Sanguinary Priest

Furioso Dread w/blood talons, heavy flamer

Furioso Dread w/blood talons, heavy flamer

FAST

Baal predator w/heavy bolter sponsons

HEAVY

Vindicator

Vindicator

How's it look?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I don't play Blood Angels, I don't even have their codex, but seeing as no-one has tried to help you yet, I'll offer a small insight.

The deathguard (think that is what they are called, you should know what I mean) I have heard are a very effective unit. I think they are costly, but the people who have mentionaed them to me say they easily make their points back.

If the Vindi and predator in BA codex is same as vanilla, then that is looking sweet.

·
Registered
990 Posts
It's only been a day Ultra, give a brother chance :p

Death Company (DC) are uncontrollable overkill, adding a Chaplain/Reclusiarch makes them even more expensive, uncontrollable overkill. DC will wipe out one unit & then you can forget about them, they will either get made into paste by enemy firepower or just Rage towards something. They are fluffy, they are fun, but they are pretty meh & you can get a similar effect from placing a Sanguinary Priest (SHP) in a unit of Assault Marines (RAS).

OP; The list is ok, there are no massive issues just a few things I'm not so sure about.

1. I wouldn't expect foot slogging Furiosos to last very long at all. Honestly, I love these things but they are quite hard to use effectively. I find that they're quite hard to get into melee against reasonable gamers & I find that AV13 isn't all that when meltas are up 6'' in their faces & side shots are available; even rear shots are open if you play them aggressively, which you should be doing. I use Drop Pods but I honestly think they require you to build your army around them, once you include 3 Drop Pods the temptation is to carry on adding Drop Pods. I think that Storm Ravens might be the key to getting the most out of Furiosos but refuse to scratch build one of the muthas... but hey, try the Furiosos out, they might work better for you. In this list I would be tempted to drop them for 2 more Baal Predators, with at least 1 having a Flamestorm (which I simply love!).

2. So, that brings me on to 2... A single Baal is not my cup of tea. Personally I would take at least 2, Fast Attack slots are free & you will love these tanks, plus getting more fast AV13 in the list is not a bad thing, infiltrating them is good if they have Flamestorm cannons, otherwise I would Scout them & get side shots onto soft tanks or just use them to throw the wounds onto MCs etc, their speed can easily pull the enemy army out of shape/away from objectives etc...

3. I tried fast Vindicators out, tbh they're not much different than vanilla aside from a little extra range due to their speed. Whilst they scare people, I find that they simply don't hit consistently enough to warrant their cost, Predators, Dreads or Devs will do a better job for cheaper. The AV13 is good, but I prefer rate of fire in 5th ed since a miss/scatter is still generally a miss & often they just kill a few troops before getting dealt with. If you own these models already then give them a whirl, I am well known for being a statistical freak incapable of rolling HIT on any amount of scatter dice. If not, lend them off a mate, proxy Rhino tanks as them, or get to your FLGS & borrow them before shelling out, they are love or hate these things.

4. Rhinos. I like these tanks, though I'm not sure in this list. If you are confident you can get the charge off then go with them, if not I'd rethink whether you want to pay the increased points for them, they are fast but AV11 is so easily dealt with. I prefer jump packs, you might find they serve your Assault Marines better. Again, experimentation is the key. I highly recommend magnetizing your RAS so they can take jump packs or backpacks, effectively giving you both options/models for the purchase of a bunch of £10/$16 magnets.

5. SHP in a Tactical Squad (esp. combat squaded tactical squad) is meh. I consider this a waste of Furious Charge, sure FNP & a 3+ is nice for camping objectives but you have a 3+ & you could just go to ground for a 3+ invulnerable against nasty stuff. Plus the price of the SHP equates to paying 10 points for each marine to have FC/FNP, not really worth it, especially when they'll be double tapping their bolters over charging. For me (which doesn't mean it's right) SHPs need to be leading RAS headlong into battle, use the FNP to soak up flashlights etc & then the jump packs get Furious Charge off successfully & your RAS slay everything :laugh: (most of the time).

Finally, to me there seems a little confusion over the Librarian & Honour Guard unit. Why Blood Lance & then Flamers & Lightning Claws (LCs)? If I was running Lance with my Librarian I'd probably go with a few Meltaguns &/or Storm Shields, heck, even a Power Fist as insurance against Dreads/tanks. You can't assume you will automatically pass your psychic tests (grr at that cursed Shadow in the Warp), test do get failed & enemy psychics can interfere with your Librarian's ability, plus RAS can grab Flamers for cheaps so give a unit of RAS dual Flamers. I might be missing something here but giving this unit a more common role (3 Meltaguns & a Power Fist) might help it to support your army better overall.

Good luck!
Dallas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts