Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got a local tournament coming up in just a few weeks, and I'm hurriedly trying to get my list and models finalized. I think I've settled on a list I'm happy with, but only really have experience playing with it against... less than spectacular Tau players, so I'd like a little C&C to help me see anything I may have missed. Tournament is 2000 pts, and as far as I'm aware is just going to be variations on the BRB Scenarios, so here goes...

HQ:
Librarian - Sword/Shield - 100
Librarian - Fear/Shield - 100
Honour Guard - Meltax2, Flamerx2, Rhino - 195
Honour Guard - Meltax2, Flamerx2, Rhino - 195

Troops:
Assault Squadx5 - Melta, Infernus/PW, Rhino - 155
Assault Squadx5 - Melta, Infernus/PW, Razorback w/ LasPlas - 195
Assault Squadx5 - Melta, Infernus/PW, Razorback w/ LasPlas - 195

Fast:
Baal Predator - HBolters - 145
Land Speeder - MMelta, HFlamer - 70
Land Speeder - MMelta, HFlamer - 70

Heavy:
Predator - Autocannon/Lascannons - 135
Predator - Autocannon/Lascannons - 135

This all comes out to exactly 2000. My experience with it so far leaves me a little underwhelmed with the Baal but very happy with the Autolas's. The Troop count has been alright in all the objective games I've played, and has one more troop unit than I used to run with my old chaos army. But I've never been one to leave a list alone for very long, the only reason I usually settle on a list for a tourney is that I've reached the deadline for list turn ins or something. I'm hoping to have a little bit more driving my list this time around, so be as harsh as you need to.

·
4,491 Posts
I would drop one of the Honor Guards to upgrade the Rhino's to Razorbacks.

I also prefer the TL Assault Cannon over the Las/Plas.

Besides that, the list looks good. :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
It looks pretty good.

However, small 5 man units in Rhinos w/out SHPs will probably lack enough punch to charge anything, so really you're paying 155 for a fast, scoring melta tank with low AV. Not really worth it IMO.

I would drop something (Probably the lone Baal) to make all of those Rhinos & Razorbacks into Razorbacks with TL-ACs. If you run 6 then that's 24 x Twin Linked Assault Cannon shots per turn, nice. Against <AV12 I'd rather have 4 x TL S6 rending shots over a single meltagun shot, any day. If you want the HG to run with Rhinos due to their load outs & fire-points then no probs.

If you're worried you won't have enough solid anti-tank in there (especially stuff that can deal with >AV12 then grab jump packs for the HG & give them 4 meltaguns, & maybe throw Blood Lance onto one of the Librarians?

Good luck,

Dallas

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ King
I want to run TL-AC Razors, but this is a model/WYSIWYG issue more than preference. I had extra Plasmas laying around and could easily make the LasPlas, I don't have the Asscans unfortunately. Range was also factor, though my play testing seems to make the difference between 24 and 48 less important than it was in my head.

@ Dallas
That seems to be the suggestion I'm getting a lot, but is 80 pts worth it for 8 TL-AC shots while losing repair and the ability to reliably pop armor (don't forget the infernus) from inside their ride? As to the assault, this is more of a shooting oriented list than CC honestly, but with the 2 Sang Novitiates FC/FNP shouldn't be too hard to share should it?

·
4,491 Posts
Range isnt really a problem.

24" range with 12" movement, if you set up 12" in then you can reach everything in the opponents deployment zone.

The fact that the BA Razorbacks are Fast vehicles negates the range issue.

And regarding the issue of losing anti-AV from your Predators to pay for the Razorbacks, TL Assault Cannons are actually one of the best anti-AV weapons the BA have.
The TL Assault Cannon has a MUCH better chance of penetrating ANY AV (even AV14) than what a TL Lascannon has.

If you want to make them WYSIWYG, then have a look at some of the online bits stores or ebay.
You should be able to find plenty of Assault Cannons for conversions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will eventually switch them over to TL-AC but I don't think I'll have the time or money (bits stores are expensive as all get out) to do it before the tournament. What I was asking about as far as AT, was the two Melta shots out of the rhinos. 2 Melta (within range) are still more reliable than TL-AC against all armor values assuming my math-hammer skills aren't too rusty...

·
4,491 Posts
I will eventually switch them over to TL-AC but I don't think I'll have the time or money (bits stores are expensive as all get out) to do it before the tournament. What I was asking about as far as AT, was the two Melta shots out of the rhinos. 2 Melta (within range) are still more reliable than TL-AC against all armor values assuming my math-hammer skills aren't too rusty...
Yeh, but requires a suicide run.

But yeh, the list is ok as it is.
Converting some Assault Cannons for future tournaments will make the list a lot more effective, but for now its ok. :drinks:

·
Registered
990 Posts
You don't have to go with TL-AC (I second what King says, I open Chimeras with ease using TL-ACs) but using the Rhinos as you've got them kitted might not work so well. To get your '2 melta shots' you'll have to get <3'' to your target, I don't fancy them chances.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Honestly, I had no trouble getting 2 Meltaguns in Rhinos within range with my Chaos. I just have to get 3" closer now, but my Rhinos are 6" faster, seems reasonable to me. Conversely, I must reiterate my experience with that has been against less than competitive opponents.

If I drop the Baal for an Autolas and one of the speeders I can upgrade 2 of the rhinos to Razors leaving me with 4 Razors, 3 Rhinos, 3 Preds, and a speeder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts