Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel kind of like a scumbag for even thinking of this strategy, but the more I look at it the more amazing it seems. I kind of want someone to tell me it's not legal!

As near as I can tell, I can put a Spiritseer in a unit of Skyweaver Jetbikes, giving them conceal, and making their jink a 2+ re-rollable cover save via the Faolchu's Blade formation. I'd have to string out the jetbikes in a conga line in order get far enough ahead of my Seer to charge on turn two, but technically nothing's stopping me that I can see, and that doesn't seem like much of a drawback.

-Jink only needs one model in the unit to have the rule for it to apply to the whole unit
-Hit+Run only needs one model in the unit as well
-Re-Roll from Skyweaver formation says the jink re-roll is granted to the unit, not just the models
-Furious charge is the only relevant thing not shared, but the Skyweavers still keep it themselves.

Well I shouldn't say nothing is stopping me, because probably human decency should :p

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Jink does not transfer to the unit - while the language is open to that interpretation, doing so leads to manifest absurdities such as the 5th edition Necron Death Ray causing a hit on every model in every unit touched by it.

Nothing stopping you having Shadowseers hanging around to cast Veil of Tears on the Skyweavers to get that rerollable 2+ cover though. Just watch out for Tau, Wave Serpents, Heldrakes, Incinerator-toting Grey Knights, Salamanders and Divination Psykers before you put all your eggs in the 2+/2+ cover basket :p

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Nope, no issue; although note that the Spiritseer cannot actually recieve benefit from Jink;

If the unit Jinks, all models in the unit with this special rule gain a 4+ cover save until the start of their next Movement phase, but they can only fire Snap Shots until the end of their next turn.
It's a poorly worded sentence; it should say "all models with the Jink special rule in the unit", which allows this misreading of "all models in the unit with this special rule".

That's allowed; but a Farseer can do it better (can take a Jetbike as well).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regarding Shadowseers, they have to roll for it instead of getting it by default like spiritseers. Psycher Level 2 Shadowseers are also more expensive, and come with a lot more formation baggage.

As far as the jink not applying to the Spiritseer, I see that now. The wording is ambiguous (surprise!) but I like the interpretation that doesn't have a guy on foot jinking haha.

I still feel like this tactic is super good. The whole Battle Runes discipline fits awesomely in a skyweaver unit, for a lot cheaper than a Farseer. You mentioned not putting all my eggs in the jink basket, but I think this is the cheapest possible way to super charge the jinky unit for the least amount of eggs... errrr... points.

Now I just have to decide if I can bring myself to do it, or whether it'll make me feel too gross.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
All the more reason to roll out the Sicarans!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The seer can only move 6", but the bikes can still move 12". You just have to leave a jetbike or two between the ones in front and the seer in the rear.

When you charge they all pile in anyway.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yeah, but they don't pile in the full distance to combat, only like 3" so if you have a conga-line your foe can just pound on the few guys at the front in combat, when Jink can't help, and then move onto the next few.

Sure you've got hit and run but if you've only got a few guys against an entire unit and coming out on top aren't high, generally. And if you lose as get Swept, your re-rollable Jink ain't worth jack.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel like it'd be pretty rare for models to miss the charge. You are probably going to be at least a little closer than whatever your 2d6 roll is, then you have a 3" pile in, and then you only have to be within 2" of the base of a model in base contact to fight. Maybe occassionally a single jetbike will miss out, but I bet that'll happen less often than the 2+ re-rollable save keeps an extra jetbike alive in the first place.

I am sure there are situations where every little bit of speed matters, and I'm sure there are times where the bikes will have to just leave their seer behind, but it's still pretty sweet. And against Tau or Serpent spam, where the whole thing falls apart, you can just stick the seers with whatever troops you took and wave goodbye to the bikes :p

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Please use this against me, I want to munch a chunk of your army and giggle.

Better hope they don't have templates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts