Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the scenario youve got a space marine on a bike in artifecer armour(2+ save) he then uses turbo boosters...this then means in the enemys shooting phase he gets a 2+ invunreble. Is this true or am I reading wrong cause if it is true it would be awesome :shok::p:laugh::biggrin:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Or, just very expensive and still just as vulnerable to massed small arms fire.
Yep. That turbo boost could mean racing into rapid fire range. Librarian + bike + artificer = lotsa points and so a juicy target, esp since it's too close for comfort.

·
Registered
275 Posts
but if you are turboing your not doing anything else lol and its not a invunerble save as such more of a cover save as its not for combat.

a harsh set up is
chaplin, bike, artificer, mantle, power fist , terminator honours lol

martin

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I prefer my Chaplain to be sealed up in some serious Termie armor. But the speedy Chaplain is a nasty one too. Until he gets within Rapid Fire range of my infantry. Open fire lads! For the Emperor!

-Dirge

·
Registered
538 Posts
yep. that's the thing. keep out of enemies double tap,etc. even with a 2+ save you are bound to roll some 1's making 10-30 saves.
at least you have that 2+ invul when opp assaults you on his turn. just survive the shooting.
I prefer my chaps to wear a jump pack instead.
you also only go by unmodified toughness for double toughness instant death. so you are considered toughness 4 still for that. just have a mantle in case.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I prefer my Chaplain to be sealed up in some serious Termie armor. But the speedy Chaplain is a nasty one too. Until he gets within Rapid Fire range of my infantry. Open fire lads! For the Emperor!

-Dirge

can i ask why the hell you put him in terminator armour??? unless you are deepstriking him and for like 5 less points you get the same save and can masscare not just consolidate (oviously the module is nicer but in game terms)

thanks
martin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, although you do have to turbo boost every time you wish to obtain that save, which means if you wanted that save, then you would be unable to then shoot, which is fine, because bikes suck at that anyway (well at least the regulars do) but you would also be unable to engage in close combat, which would make him vulnerable, to lots of small arms fire.

Yes it is possible, but only practical on early turns where everyone is sitting on their side spouting cursewords at one another.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can see it being a useful diversion as well.

The Chaplain will be very difficult to take down. Running him up there forces the enemy to start taking a lot of target priority checks or waste shots at him. Combined with a couple Assault Squads advancing at the same time, he could play a role in forcing your opponent to spread out his fire.

·
Registered
141 Posts
can i ask why the hell you put him in terminator armour??? unless you are deepstriking him and for like 5 less points you get the same save and can masscare not just consolidate (oviously the module is nicer but in game terms)

thanks
martin
this is for u because termi armor is usefull in so many ways and well worth the extra 5 points. Specificly the part in brackets.

yeah Chaplains are best used as tanks (in the figurative way) since if used correctly they should spend most of their time in combat. That jump pack isnt so helpful when taking on a hoard of orks (but now that they dont have that stupid choppa rule i am much happier to charge into combat with them). Chuck him in Termi armor (or artificer armor for the same effect of 2+/4+invuln just no term honors [+1 attack] and no teleport or termie command squads:() and watch the orks drop like flies (especially if u surround him with termi assault squad).

as for the 2+ invuln, just get a squad of bikers or a captain and use them for gun bait at the beginning of the game...a lot cheeper and same effect without a valuable asset being out of the game for a while as he runs around like a drunken dark eldar that just got a shot of his drugs.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here is a strange twist to this though. Same scenario with 2+ inv save. Shoot forward to get in charge range in next round. Grey Knight Termis come from around corner. Zap Zap Zap with psycannons. Bike Squad and character are replaced by whisps of smoke. Chaplain on bike looks spiffy sittin on my shelf though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That jump pack isnt so helpful when taking on a hoard of orks (but now that they dont have that stupid choppa rule i am much happier to charge into combat with them).
It is in that he can attach himself to a cheaper/more numerous Assault Squad and get more re-rolls to hit (and to a lesser extent more fearless models).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts