Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up another army after I finish off my space marines (soon) and I've always kind of liked the idea of ravenwing. I've made two lists, and I'm not sure which one seems better. Since I obviously have no RW models yet, I could go either way. Here they are:

List 1: 1749 points
Sammy on Corvex 200
Librarian, ML2, bike, powerfield generator, auspex 155
5 RW command squad, apocethary, 1x grenade launcher, standard of devastation 295
4 RW command squad, 1x grenade launcher, ravenwing company banner 175
6man RW bike squad, 2x melta 181
Darkshroud 80
2x Landspeeders, typhoon ML 150

What I like about this is that the major core of the list can be completed by buying multiple dark angel battleforces, also the RW banner bubble can make it so I can hide in combat (heldrakes) then auto hit-and-run. It also seems a little more ravenwing than the second list. Problems are the banner has a smaller footprint, and is more vulnerable.

List 2: 1748 points
Sammy on Corvex 200
Librarian, ML2, bike, auspex 125
Command Squad, banner of devastation 165
RW command squad, 4x black knights 160
Land Raider Crusader, dozer blade 255

What I like about this list is that the banner is better protected and has a larger bubble since they'll be in the LRC. It has a smaller body count which I'm worried about since RW doesnt have a lot of models to begin with, also the fact that the LRC will be priority target 1 to any competent enemy and when it dies my army slows down a ton.

Thoughts?
-Arcticor

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
ok so as a full raven wing player myself here are my 2 cents..
1:the darkshrouds arnt needed(personal choice) yes all the benefiets are nice but i dont run them and my guys are undefeated.
2:the libby is pointless in this list.. with 2 powers he just gets stopped..an interogator chaplin on bike with mace of redempetion combined with BK hits really hard in combat.
3:sammy..its a personal choice..but if you put him in the speeder(yes theres a debate blah blah) but, then the chaplin can become the warlord and you can then use the rule book traits and try for infiltrate..
4: attack bikes are a must...theyare a troop and toughish to kill.
5:ladnspeeders are good multimelta/ML
6:you dont need 3 RAWs...rememebr you can combat squad them..use it!! also give the sgt a combi melta. what i do is one squad meltas one squad flamers. works awesomely.
7:air support..ok so ours is crap..but at 1500 point the stormwing formation combined with the BOD is just brutal..yes its expensive but it realy makes the ravening feared!
8: if you really want to be a stinker add a IMperial knight!(but i dont becuase im trying to run a full biker list with airsupport)

these area a few of my suggestions..ravenwing despite what people say is a great army and doesnt need to de dual wing to be effective..but..its unforgiving!! if you make a mistake..it can cost you big time..so..combat squad..killing 3 guys is better than 6!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response fatmantis! Here's what I've done:

Total: 1728
Sammy on Corvex 200
Librarian ML2, bike, auspex 125
5 man RW command squad, apocethary, RW grenade launcher, standard of devastation 295
4 man RW command squad, RW grenade launcher, RW company banner 175
RAS 1; 311
-6 man bike squad, 2x melta
-MM attack bike
-Typhoon speeder, HB
RAS 2; 311
-MM attack bike
-Typhoon speeder, HB
RAS 3; 311
-MM attack bike
-Typhoon speeder, HB

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the remaining 22 points. I kept the Librarian in just as a personal preference (I've run 1 libby in other lists and get powers off fine in my meta), and because I couldnt find the points for your chaplain loadout. I want to make sure I have enough anti-infantry even without the banner, since the list is now practically saturated with meltas. Thoughts on this, and the list in general?
-Arcticor

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
like i said try putting sammy in the speeder so the libby can take better warlord traits...
i use sammy in the speeder to great success..infiltrating 3 AB can be brutal..as T1 your literally 1" from you opponents tanks..
still dont need the 3rd RAW..i would consider air support 2 RAW with the 2 BK is more thans enough...you have 6 ObjSec scoring units

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.