Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time no post on my front. Work has seriously caught up with me!

Anyway, hoping to get a game in with an old friend, he has three armies and I'm unsure what he's going to bring until its on the table, but going to be daemons, Traitor guard (with CSM allies) or dark eldar.

Made up the following list, its not the most competitive list by far but its one I reckon I'll have fun with and should hold its ground fairly well against any of them.

HQ – 170pts
Rune Priest
-Mastery Level 2
-Runic Axe

Rune Priest
-Mastery Level 2
-Runic Axe

Elites – 995pts
Wolf guard terminators (x5)
-Pair of wolf claws (x2)
-Assault cannon & power sword
-Storm bolter & Chainfist
-Thunder hammer & storm shield

Iron priest
-Thunderwolf mount

Iron priest
-Thunderwolf mount

Murderfang
-Drop pod

Venerable dreadnought
-Fenrisian great axe and blizzard shield
-Smoke launchers
-Drop pod

Venerable dreadnought
-Smoke launchers
-Drop pod

Fast Attack – 450pts
Thunderwolf cavalry (x4)
-Storm shields (x2)
-Leader with Storm Shield & Wolf claw

Thunderwolf cavalry (x4)
-Storm shields (x2)
-Leader with Storm Shield & Wolf claw

Heavy support – 385pts
Long Fangs (x3)
-Lascannons (x2)

Long Fangs (x3)
-Lascannons (x2)

Long Fangs (x6)
-Missile Launcher with flakk (x5)

Going with supplement so I can keep this elite heavy. Rune priests go with the Las-fang units and go for divination.

Iron priests take a Thunderwolf unit each and lead from the front. They have done fairly well in the past tanking most of the hits with their 2+ and then LOS to the stormshields on Ap2 weapons.

Drop down the two ven dreads turn 1 (popping smoke if find themselves in a not so friendly placement) and then hopefully get Murderfang and the terminators turn 2 to keep the heat as much as possible off of the wolves.

Probably roll on strategic to try for outflank, try and bring on the terminators from the side rather than deepstriking as so far 4/5 games they have mishapped and ended up either on the opposite side of the board or coming in far too late to do anything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Realised I never gave a verdict from the game!

So, since I last posted up I've been able to run the list against a couple of people. The first being my old time friend who turned up with his Dark Eldar and then a guy playing semi-alpha legion (Space marines with white scar CT, Cypher and lots of imperial assassins).

Overall I'm happy with the list. The Dreads didn't stand a chance against deepstriking haywire scourges but neither did the scourges when the thunderwolves caught up with them. Murderfang stood out (finally, after 9 games with this guy) when he barged his way through a full tactical squad, 2 assassins and a drop pod, while securing me at least 3 points during a maelstrom mission without taking a single scratch (and not through lack of trying! Trust me!). But I feel he is the weakest link in the list.

Terminators lived up to their reputation when I run them...deepstriking, mishapping and ending up not coming in until toward the end of the game. But I've enjoyed having them because by that point in the game, there really isn't that much that is able to deal with them effectively. So they end up as a (albeit expensive) last minute objective grabber. I may drop them in the future, but I'll see.

TWC are just fun...for the guy controlling them that is. The amount of punishment they seemed to be able to take with only minor scuffs was a delight to see. The iron priest at the front just makes them even harder to deal with, with him being able to tank ap3 and above thanks to his 2+ armour and then pass on any ap1-2 to his colleagues with the storm shield. By the end of the game though they are either all dead or badly wounded. Not sure if it is just my bad decision of the fact that they have just a huge target on their heads.

The long fangs and rune priests have been average. They have missed more times they've hit, even with prescience. The rune priests also seem to have a nasty habit of trying to kill themselves. In the game against the dark eldar, one priest perils EVERY SINGLE TURN. By turn 4 I only rolled two dice for his powers and he still kept rolling double sixes. Something was out to get him! He's now referred to as "Haldor the warpbringer".

Anyway, I'm considering bringing in some wolf scouts with melta, mainly because my list has none. I thought that if I infiltrate them 18" from the enemy (12" if I can get out of sight), 6" scout move (both can work together as it has been pointed out to me) and then 6" move should put me close to melta range. It just forces the attention onto a small unit or two or iddy biddy scouts to save the bigger wolves, or if they get ignored can either start messing with the tanks or throw themselves into combat. With the FAQ from the US site saying that cyberwolves are now T5, I'm considering getting a couple incase the the iron priest decides to split off to capture a point while the rest of the unit moves up so that he isn't a sitting duck.

Thoughts and comments welcome! This lists are always in a constant flux and its nice to get some feedback

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Honestly I would Droppod some WGP with combi melta before I went with scouts. They have been very watered-down since 5th.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see where you're coming from, provides a more accurate and immediate threat, but my issue with them is the points cost for a unit with a very small life span and minimal uses after the melta burst.

Its why I envy vanilla SM having sternguard, at least they can pop down, unleash their melta and if they are still kicking have some ammo choice. Once the wolf guard melta is gone, they are just overpriced grey hunters. Although they have a greater chance of survival than the scouts, at least the scouts are a fair bit cheaper, and are not relying on the scatter dice being on your side.

But I'll think about it, they are a good alpha strike unit and can at least act as a distraction for the rest of the game if they are still limping on.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've modeled up, but yet to field some plasma scouts. SW scouts can take a plasmagun, two pistols, and a wolf guard with two pistols and infiltrate. I made two squads like that for a decent plasma threat holding the middle of the board, but like I've said, it's still just a theory. With camo gear they can still get decent saves.

Granted it's a bit costly pointswise to bring two. And it does nothing for your melta situation.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
If you use the WGP upgrade your scouts can't infiltrate.

My reasoning for wgp vs scouts is because you can do 5 combi melta for cheap. I find it much more secure and reliable than the single scout melta. Even if you only go with a couple it is still better than one shot. If your opponent is stupid enough to ignore them after they blow thier load then it is still a unit of Veterans.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can they not? I thought the rule was if a single model had the rule? I know that with independent characters its different, but as the wolf guard leader is actually a part of the unit, not an add-on, doesn't that mean the unit still can?

I did look at plasma scouts, but the cost of them really put me off. For the same price as one unit I could have got 3 TWC with storm shields, which I felt were the far better option, seeing as a heavy flamer can practically destroy the whole unit in a single blast.

It is true, maybe I should trial them out, see how they fair.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Shadow's Fury you are correct. They can still infiltrate. They can even attach an independent character and infiltrate him if they want to. As long as one dude in the squad has the rule it's conferred to the entire squad now, just like Stubborn... which is the book example. Works for Scout redeployments too.

Here's a list of Conferred USRs that you can abuse with either ICs or Units that have the rule.

Acute Senses
Adamantium Will
Crusader
Fearless
Hit and Run
Infiltrate
Monster Hunter
Move Through Cover
Night Vision
Outflank
Preferred Enemy
Scout
Shrouded
Skilled Rider
Slow and Purposeful
Split Fire
Stealth
Stubborn
Tank Hunters
Zealot

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Per the latest FAQ not Infiltrate any more with ICs. You guys are correct about the sgt upgrade getting it though, I was thinking he was a IC for some reason.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ah, those dang FAQs always jumping up to bite me in the ass. Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little bit of thread Necro as thought it was better to post here as the following is for the same points and a similar sort of list.

I'm trying to come up with a few lists that I feel I will have fun with that aren't complete train wrecks. The following is one I'm thinking about trialing in the near future, but wanted some opinions:

HQ – 385pts
Rune Priest
-Runic Axe
-Mastery Level 2

Rune Priest
-Runic Axe
-Bike
-Mastery level 2

Ulrik the Slayer

Elites – 860pts
Wolf guard terminators (x5)
-Pair of wolf claws (x2)
-Assault cannon & power sword
-Storm bolter & Chainfist
-Thunder hammer & storm shield

Iron priest
-Thunderwolf mount

Iron priest
-Thunderwolf mount

Venerable dreadnought
-Smoke launchers
-Drop pod
-Locator beacon

Venerable dreadnought
-Helfrost Cannon
-Great Wolf Claw (combi-bolter)
-Smoke launcher

Lone wolf
-Terminator Armour
-Storm shield
-Wolf Claw

Fast Attack – 460pts
Thunderwolf cavalry (x4)
-Storm shields (x2)
-Leader with SS & WC
-Meltabomb

Thunderwolf cavalry (x4)
-Storm shields (x2)
-Leader with SS & WC
-Meltabomb

Heavy support – 345pts
Long Fangs (x3)
-Lascannons (x2)

Long Fangs (x3)
-Lascannons (x2)

Long Fangs (x5)
-Missile Launcher with flakk (x4)

So the list is pretty much split into three components:
The Anchor (Long fangs, Ulrik, Foot rune priest, Helfrost Dread)
The Skyborn (Drop Dread, Lone wolf, Terminators)
The Wolves (Thunderwolves, Iron priests, biker priest)

So first the anchor sets it self up in terrain, keeping close to ulrik to benefit from his preferred enemy and stubborn bubble (Units within 6" and 12" respectively). Rune priest rolls on divination and provides additional support with ignores cover and prescience if I can't get them all together or really shouldn't bunch them together (three helturkeys spring to mind!). Helfrost Dread starts in reserve so avoid any alpha strike melta, and comes on later for support.

The Skyborn are all in reserve, the drop dread arriving hopefully up the field, not directly in the firezone but close enough he won't need to travel far. The terminators and lone wolf use the drop pod to come down more accurately (assuming it is still alive obviously). I have had too many deepstrike mishaps with my terminators, so hoping this will help. This will hopefully draw the enemy away from the anchor and the approaching wolves.

The Wolves is pretty self explanatory. Iron priest with either unit, biker priest rolls up the board just behind them both and goes for biomancy, hoping to buff the wolves as they move up the board. If his powers dictate him and a unit he'll buddy up with a unit as they move up. There is no subtlety here, just straight up run at the enemy as fast as their wolf legs will carry them, getting supporting fire.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Also, side step a little, not exactly an army list question but any advice would be great.
Basically bought the aspiring champion model for cheap from a chaos friend because I really liked the model. Making it more wolfy of course and getting rid of the worst of the chaos heraldry but now I've come against the issue of what I actually do with him.

Basically my ideas are:
Wolf Lord
Battle Leader
Lone wolf
Wolf guard/leader

I'm trying to steer clear of troops as I like the idea of an elite army. Also, I have too many rune priests (5 in total, on foot or on bikes) so would rather avoid that option.
However, then I come up against the problem of what I run him with as, especially with this list, there isn't many places he could go.
Any ideas which could get him into this list (obviously have to lose something, probably the helfrost dread at the very least) would be great! Thanks in advance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts