Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my new position at work has moved me out of the backwoods and into the big scary city... well back to it anyway. But what's awesome and different this time is that there is an actual GW store 10 minutes from my crib. Downside? I feel obligated to play smaller, faster games there. So coming out of the 1750/1850 relm all the way to 1k has come with it's challenges. My last two games have shown that White Scars Bikes at 1k may not be the best option as some nids survived my alpha strike, lost all their MCs, and then proceeded to rip my face off with horde squads. On the other hand, IG have really stepped up for me as 5 various leman russes and two vet squads at 1k turned some tau into rape-cakes (aside from the riptide... MFer).

So now I'm trying to see what my other armies can do at the lower points level. I'd love some feedback from those of you used to playing the smaller games. The store uses 4x6 tables. Without further adue, here's my Wolfy McWolfwolf idea.

CHAMPIONS OF FENRIS:
160 WGBL (TWM, WC, SS, Runic)

105 Iron Priest (TWM)
185 Murderfang (DP w/ DWML)

165 3x Thunderwolves (3x SS)
85 MM Typhoon Speeder
85 MM Typhoon Speeder

150 3x Long Fangs (2x Plascannon, TLLC Razor)
65 Whirlwind

=1000

EDIT: I probably should mention that most games there are just Purge the Alien... not sure why. I guess to save time on the tables.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I like this list, I think it's cool! I hope you post the results of your playing it and let us know how it does in the games you play with it. :grin:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Late to the party as always!

Agree with Jace, that is a nice 1000pt list. Murderfang should do fairly well at this point level, but if I had to be critical I'd say he is your weakest link. Whirlwind is a nice choice, don't see many of them anymore.

I'd say the only thing to fear is a gunline. Wolves are tough, but as with everything, focus fire will rip them into tiny bits of fur. But with so many blast markers I think you should be able to disrupt the main culprits.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I completely agree Murderface is the weak link here. I'm about to go test it out. Not being able to assault on the drop is a pain in the ass. I'd use the forgeworld assault drop pod, but it could eat into my anti-horde abilities and the resin ones I purchased are such a motherfucker to put together that I don't even want to look at them.

He does fill my "distraction" slot in the list though. He's just something you have to deal with or he'll make you pay, allowing my TWC to advance. I try to fulfill the basic needs Anti-Tank (Speeders/Priest), Anti-Horde (Whirlwind/DWML), Anti-MEQ (TWC/LFs), Anti-Coverhumper (Whirlwind/Murderfang), CC Threat (TWC/Murderfang), Distraction (Murderfang), and Anti-Air (omitted for 1k).

So really, even though not always points efficient, he really does act like a swiss army knife unit. The fear of his CC makes him a solid distraction and if nothing else he's a very expensive heavy flamer.

I just know that if anyone wants to play objectives that this list is screwed. Not enough infantry and all.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Played it against some Tau today. Got shot up pretty good. Murderfang got exploded by broadside interceptors right off the bat. His riptide ate a speeder and my whirlwind on his first turn. My TWC took the full force of his army's shooting, tanking hits with ICs and then passing them off with Look Out, Sir when the wound counts started to dwindle. That was nice. The Deathwind actually blasted several firewarriors and the long fangs made some jump infantry go-to-ground, but in the end I lost it 5 to 4. (First blood, 3 KPs, Linebreaker to 2 KPs, warlord and linebreaker). 1k is obviously not my forte as this is the 2nd of 3 games at this point level that I've lost in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tough break! Tau gunlines are really hard to deal with, especially with such a low model count. But even then it was pretty close on points!

I'd suggest losing murderface in bring in some more bodies, I understand your reason for having him but honestly I feel you are just giving away a lot of points when you have so few to begin with. Perhaps with the points you could bring in some more thunder wolves. You could have an IC in both units to tank with the 2+ and then shed the load if needs be. Or could go the retirement home option and bring some more long fangs to the table, everyone loves long fangs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts