Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just designing a space wolf army, most likely to be allied necrons in tournies.
List is as flollows

Wolf Lord
Saga of Warrior Born
Terminator Armour
Strom Shield (other is power weapon)
Wolftooth Necklace 210

4 Wolf Guard
Terminator Armour
4 Storm Shields
2 Thunder Hammers
(others left with power weapons) 222

5 Wolf Scouts
Meltagun 85

10 Grey Hunters
2 Plasma Guns 170

10 Grey Hunters
2 Plasma Guns 170

Drop Pod 35

Predator
Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Storm Bolter 95

What do you guys think?, what should stay?, what should go?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
since you'll be allied with Necrons... they'll have to take a lot of troops to keep from getting phased out... so I would take min troops and max out the good stuff like Long Fangs, rifleman dreads and some good psychic defense with a Rune Priest...

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Wolf Lord
Saga of Warrior Born
Terminator Armour
Strom Shield (other is power weapon)
Wolftooth Necklace 210
I would seriously reconsider this guy completely, because as it stands this one model is eating up 21% of your 1000 points.

I'd suggest losing the storm shield and maybe even the saga; yes they help to make him tougher and more killy but he already has an invulnerable save (not power armour equivalent but what your already paying for is not cheap by any means) and for a mere 170 points you can have him in terminator armour, armed with a pair of wolf claws, and with the necklace.

4 Wolf Guard
Terminator Armour
4 Storm Shields
2 Thunder Hammers
(others left with power weapons) 222
For these guys I would first suggest getting yourself two more armed with powerfists to lead the grey hunters. Having said that, honestly, thunderhammers really do not add much more to these guys that powerfists wouldn't. So while as models it might look awkward, I'd suggest swapping the hammers out for fists and save yourself a few points.

That being said, I do not advise storm shield on all four wolf guard you have here. It is an expensive upgrade to what is becoming an increasingly expensive single wound model. Think about it, breaking the numbers down evenly each wolf guard is running you 55 or 56 points. Even when you break it down by who has what, these guys are still costing you more than a regular terminator and for what is essentially the same thing.

In my opinion, I'd say get yourself something more along the lines of:

6x wolf guard
2x Powerfists; 4x terminator armour; 2x wolf claws; 2x powerfists; 2x storm shields
Should come out to 278, and thats mostly due to having two more wolf guard in the mix to be leadered to other packs.

5 Wolf Scouts
Meltagun 85
Honestly, I'd highly advise against this unit. It can be good, but for eighty five points all your really doing is trying to outflank one meltagun, not that effective. Those points can be better spent elsewhere.

10 Grey Hunters
2 Plasma Guns 170

10 Grey Hunters
2 Plasma Guns 170

Drop Pod 35
I would very much advise getting both of these transports, preferably rhino's so that you are not shooting yourself in the foot by bringing one in alone, and then hoping the other one comes in to do something.

After that, I'd suggest dropping one member of each pack to make room for a wolf guard leader, maybe even using the points to give someone mark of the wulfen or wolf banners. I'd also say swap the plasmagun for a meltagun. No point in getting in close only to stop yourself from being able to charge and then in turn getting charged.

Predator
Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Storm Bolter 95
I would suggest dropping the storm bolter on this thing, yeah its impressive being able to pump out ten shots, but you can spend the points better on other things.

If you did any of the above, then you should have enough points for a second pf these predators, though personally I would say take one autocannon/lascannon sponson predator and a dual heavy bolter landspeeder (you would need to drop the necklace from the lord for this though.)

That way you'd have some much needed long range anti armour.

Or consider two packs of four strong long fangs armed with three missile launchers each.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I agree with CLT; you want to spam LF. Razorspam is good at this level and RP will help that become a hard hittting force.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insightful info guys.
I spent last night pondering what you said and have changed the list to the following:
(Please note that the Scouts are still there only because i'll have them and will be replaced soon after)

Rune Priest
Master of Runes
Runic Armour
10 Grey Hunters
Meltagun
Flamer
10 Grey Hunters
Meltagun
Flamer
Drop Pod 35
Land Raider Godhammer
5 Wolf Scouts
Meltagun
6 Long Fangs
2 Rocket Launchers
2 Heavy Bolters
Multi Melta
Plasma Cannon

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Thanks for the insightful info guys.
I spent last night pondering what you said and have changed the list to the following:
(Please note that the Scouts are still there only because i'll have them and will be replaced soon after)

Rune Priest
Master of Runes
Runic Armour
take out MoR, its a waste of 50 points, it lets you use 2 psychic attacks within the bounds of the rules still. IE: you cant use 2 psychic shooting attacks even with this. so unless you are putting him in a dedicated CC army its Worthless. Id drop the runic armor too but give him CotS. CotS is a godsend if you use the abilities you should be : living Lightning and Murderous Hurricane. both will almost never miss with a CotS

10 Grey Hunters
Meltagun
Flamer
first, your points are off. you get your second weapon free as far as I can read. IE: you would still be at 150 points. Id still drop them down a few models to make more points to give them MotW and Wolf Standard. MotW and Wolf Standard together have won me many games
10 Grey Hunters
Meltagun
Flamer
see above
Drop Pod 35
Rhinos are better, and you should have one for both your squads
Land Raider Godhammer
See earlier issues with your Wolf Lord before, and put it to this land raider, its taking up 1/4th of your army and can easily be replaced in this small of an army with little problems.
5 Wolf Scouts
Meltagun
6 Long Fangs
2 Rocket Launchers
2 Heavy Bolters
Multi Melta
Plasma Cannon
where to start. drop the MM drop the plasma cannon drop the Heavy bolter, make them ALL Missile Launchers. 5 MLs are better (and cheaper) then this mix match you have built. and 5 MLs can take on light tanks and MCs with ease, and if nessessary you can do some damage to hoardes too.

see the green text for corrections.

as I stated earlier though in the green. ALL your units should have a specific role when you play them in a tournament especially. for example ALL my squads in my 1500 tourny list are built to take on mech, since I see more mech lists then you can believe where I play.

Ill leave it to you though to figure out what to do with the multitude of points I suggested you trim though. but I would highly reccomend, as I know others will, a razor back for the Long fangs too. TL Las would be my choice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KhainiteAssassin
The additional Special Weapons do still cost. It is a fairly ambiguous rule but it states no "Additional" Cost Meaning you don't have to spend extra points for the right to use the weapon. I did ask at GW and looked in WD. With the Long Fangs i would consider using all ML but i don't actually have any spare at this time so it is just a bit difficult. Good point about the MoR i hadn't thought of that. The drop pod is there because it comes in the battle force, will be replaced at later date and the land raider is just there because i have had amazing success with them in the past, and it also gives one of my GH units a transport. However it is the last thing on my "to get" list so it is easy to replace. Only i don't know what to put in instead.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
KhainiteAssassin
The additional Special Weapons do still cost. It is a fairly ambiguous rule but it states no "Additional" Cost Meaning you don't have to spend extra points for the right to use the weapon. I did ask at GW and looked in WD. With the Long Fangs i would consider using all ML but i don't actually have any spare at this time so it is just a bit difficult. Good point about the MoR i hadn't thought of that. The drop pod is there because it comes in the battle force, will be replaced at later date and the land raider is just there because i have had amazing success with them in the past, and it also gives one of my GH units a transport. However it is the last thing on my "to get" list so it is easy to replace. Only i don't know what to put in instead.
I never run a full 10 Grey hunters is why I rarely use that.

it does say "no additional cost" but at the same time, that can be interpreted as not costing anything, since why would they say "no additional cost" where they could have easily left that line out and no one would have thought "oh how much extra cost will x cost me to put in because im at full man squad" see what I mean? (also my GW goes by the rules I mentioned before where its completely free)

but as to what you can put in, instead. a second Long fang squad works well.

with the exception of when my dice decide to just make me roll all 1s for 6 rounds, my Long fangs with Missile Launchers have won me many games.

Land raiders are great though, dont get me wrong, I have 2. I just firmly believe that losing 1/4th of your army with a single lucky shot from a Las cannon on a 50 point model would be painful for anyone.

also: you know scouts can have Melta bombs right? if your facing tanks, and not walkers, Melta bombs are insanely good. str 8 with 2d6 ARP. 110 points for a 5 man tank killing squad that have almost a 100% chance at getting a point for killing a tank and a squad that can be easily turn big guns into a focus fire to make sure they die situation works wonders.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
KhainiteAssassin
Nope, they guys at the GW store were wrong... they're free...

Here's from the eratta "must a grey hunter unit that consists of ten models take the first special weapon at normal points cost in order to thake the seond free one?"

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Q. Must a Grey Hunter unit that consists of ten
models take the first special weapon at normal
points cost in order to take the second free one?
A. Yes.

just to give you a copy and paste its on page 6 at the top

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Q. Must a Grey Hunter unit that consists of ten
models take the first special weapon at normal
points cost in order to take the second free one?
A. Yes.

just to give you a copy and paste its on page 6 at the top
I am still not entirely convinced by this as the original post by me did state that in White Dwarf (WD) they did cost. So i don't really know. It is possible that with the errata question they did not realise that it said "second free one" and just answered wether they needed ten models or not.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I am still not entirely convinced by this as the original post by me did state that in White Dwarf (WD) they did cost. So i don't really know. It is possible that with the errata question they did not realise that it said "second free one" and just answered wether they needed ten models or not.
go look at the official FAQ on the GW site, thats where I copied and pasted from

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m800008a_FAQ_SpaceWolves_Jan2010

a link that CLK put in earlier too

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Unless of course GW is trying to fuck with you. lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
arguements aside (i looked up the Battle Report in WD and the Grey Hunter Unit was 10GH, 2PG, WS, PF 205pts, thus it did include costs for BOTH Plasma's, so now this is just wierd) . If it was up to you guys to design a cheap (please remeber that i'm in Australia) army that can be allied with Necrons yet also be a good stand alone army. I would also prefer to use items that will be easy to obtain, eg as said earlier i don't have space Missile Launchers. Your help is much appreciated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts