Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I play a lot of Fantasy and after a 40k project I fancied trying out a new, small themed fantasy army. I have never played brets but I like the idea of a Peasant army, and this is what I came up with. If there is anything significant I have missed (I know brets have lots of weird restrictions since it is an old book) please let me know! I tried to put in every peasant unit (even though yeomen are pretty pointless I know).

Damsel of the Lady
warhorse w. barding, level 2

Paladin
BSB

39 Men at Arms
Full command

15 Peasant Bowmen
Light armour, Braziers, Musician

15 Peasant Bowmen
Light armour, Braziers, Musician

8 Peasant Bowmen
Light armour, Skirmishers

5 Mounted Yeomen
Light armour, Shields, Full command

Field Trebuchet

Field Trebuchet

1000pts on the dot. The Damsel goes with the Yeomen and the Paladin with the Men at Arms. The idea is defensive, with the block of men at arms sitting back protecting my shooty stuff which at this points level should be pretty scary, the skirmishers try to get at small light units or warmachines, and the yeomen protect the damsel and flit around getting an angle with spells. She will probably take lore of beasts to buff up the units to be more killy.

C&C appreciated!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
What you lack is leadership here. Peasants don't have much, and with the Pesan'ts Duty, you'd need a high LD knight lurking around somewhere to stiffen their resolve. I'd suggest dropping the paladin off his horse, with the Virtue of Empathy, and stick him in the Man-at-arms block. The basic trouble is the Peasant stat-line sucks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you lack is leadership here. Peasants don't have much, and with the Pesan'ts Duty, you'd need a high LD knight lurking around somewhere to stiffen their resolve. I'd suggest dropping the paladin off his horse, with the Virtue of Empathy, and stick him in the Man-at-arms block. The basic trouble is the Peasant stat-line sucks.
The Paladin isn't on a horse, and is in the man at arms block :grin: I should have been more clear. Virtue of Empathy isn't a bad idea though. Problem is I don't have many points, hence the bare bones characters. Would you drop anything?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Without the Virtue of Empahty, they're not allowed off their horse. Drop the Damsel's horse, drop the 8-man block of archers. Bret's don't do well with peasants, usually.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bad! I assumed they would be on foot basic, and have to be upgraded to be on a horse. I quite like the damsel on horse in the unit of yeomen, so I will keep that, but use the spare points from dropping the skirmish archers to get some kit for the characters.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am going to be frank and say that there is no way a peasant list can be viable, unless you are facing something equally ridiculous.

There are literally armies (WOC) that can beat that list with half the points.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I don't think there's much chance of a peasant army working, I agree. However, giving advice to make it as good as it can be is also what the user wished.

·
Registered
466 Posts
A Bret army must have at least one unit of knights of the realm

·
Registered
3 Posts
As other people in the thread have said, Peasant armies are, for the most part, entirely unplayable.
However, in terms of making it more playable, you could consider taking a Paladin with Virtue of Empathy, putting him in a large unit of Men-At-Arms and having the Ruby Goblet. Sounds like an entertaining time.

(That aside, you could just play Agincourt)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Or just wait for the New Army Book, and hope a peasant army is playable from that.
I keep hearing it might have some kind of knights of foot - It could def make them more viable because it'd give you some decent heavy infantry without forcing you to sink extra points into a blob of men-at-arms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts