Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently brought a friend into 40K and he is looking to start a Tyranids army. He's limited on funds but states that he has enough for his first army at 1K. Hes going to run the following and, not being a 'nids player myself, I'm curious to see how this list would work. I don't want him to build an army he will not have fun with in casual games and would like to help if possible.

HQ
Winged Hive Tyrant

Troops
Tyranid Warriors x3
Genestealers x8
Hormagaunts x18
Termagaunts x20
Ripper Swarm x3

Fast
Ravener Brood x3

Heavy
Trygon Prime

From what he's told me, that should be a 1K list.
Any C&C is appreciated as I'd like to be able to help on this.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Casual and what not sure, he could drop it well, but without knowing what he is equipping with what can't really help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ravener broods are poor, and stealers arnt cost effective anymore while not being able assault from outflanking... Both are a shame because they are both iconic and symbolise the tyranids way of war... But both die horribly to anything with a gun..

Warriors are good, but minimum squad size is 6 as they are more there to take fire from bigger critters rather than actually do anything themselves...

Hormagaunts need both the upgrades, although this makes them about 2points too expensive in the new edition, so I would just stick with the tervigon+gants combo

Rippers arnt even worth thinking about...

Flyrant is good needs dual brainleech devourers to be competitive however

Prime upgrade is worth it... But shouldnt be taken unless you are running something like gargoyles or loads of fast non synapse..

I realise this is a first list but there are defiantly things to avoid as a new player as they are hard to use or to make efficient. Also it should be noted that whilst it seems too early for solid rumours, general belief is that nids will get a 6th Ed codex in November which if he really likes tyrannids, should probably wait for to make the most of his money...

But if he wants a good start for this codex,

Flyrant twin devs... 260pts

10 gants... 50pts
Tervigon, catalyst... 175pts
10 gants... 50pts
Tervigon, catalyst... 175pts
10 gants... 50pts

Trygon prime... 240pts

I know I have got the prime upgrade, but that saves him from buying anything more than this to make 40pts... Loads of scoring potential and 4mc at 1000pts is a winner, the trygon can smash tanks and stuff and the flyrant will hit flyers and infantry

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, on his list I don't think he had any upgrades beyond the wings on the Tyrant. Also, I believe he was looking into spending roughly $300 since thatt his budget. I believe the reason he arrived at those choices in his list is due to it being a 3 model purchase of the Battle Force, Tyrant, a Trygon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know $ costs of stuff but companies like waylandgames.co.uk will sell all of the above for less than £200ish,

I just realised the battleforce and two model purchase just as I posted the last post, but I still maintain he will have much more fun and enjoyment out of playing with the list I have posted rather than following the battleforce as despite it costing less, it will leave him with an largely impossible set of models to work with...

But that's only my two cents

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know $ costs of stuff but companies like waylandgames.co.uk will sell all of the above for less than £200ish,

I just realised the battleforce and two model purchase just as I posted the last post, but I still maintain he will have much more fun and enjoyment out of playing with the list I have posted rather than following the battleforce as despite it costing less, it will leave him with an largely impossible set of models to work with...

But that's only my two cents
Well, your list comes in at $287 on the US site and his clocks in at $283.50, which I've pointed out and showed him your post. The response I got reads as; "Really? $3.50 more and its more fun? And I get 4 big guys to run around the board? Huh. Well, I'm sold." This was after he went back and read the list and I think he likes how it'll play.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The only problem though with your army suggestion is that hes going to need to buy a shed load more termagants than the base 20. The list is great on the table but Nids are never economically friendly!

Check out Ebay as well for more stuff. People are always re-cycling models there.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree with LordIchor about the list - all in all it is a better list. However, if planning to expand past 1k, I suggest starting with the battleforce. It is one of the best battleforces out there in my own opinion because it comes with so much. Additionally, whether there is a new codex in November or further out - nids will be getting one and its probably gonna make the old standard lists of tervigons, trygons, and flyrants no longer the stock list (like all new codexes do). The use of genestealers and raveners may return.

Though rippers are still shit. Don't take those.

Warriors are alright if used properly. Hormagaunts are amazing at 1k, especially with a couple of MCs on the field. The list suggested is a strong list for sure - most people couldn't beat it as Nids are just nasty at low points. However, the first list provided would also be pretty solid at those points when played right. One list I lost horribly to at 1k was something like this.

Flyrant - TL devourers

about 30 hormagaunts
2 trygons

It was terrifying... Having to deal with 3 tough MCs and some horde was rather difficult and I just plain didn't have the guns. I was screwed if I didn't take out tyrgons and the flyrant but if the full squads of fearless hormagaunts hit then I was also screwed. And what I listed there with no upgrades besides the tyrant only clocks in at 840. Meaning he had other stuff, I just can't recall. Hell, you could throw a carnifex in at those points (though I think he had stealers).

Point is. Your friend should proxy first to see which play style he enjoys more. Some people don't care for tervigons much, some people swear by hormagaunts, it all depends on what you like.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tyrannid warriors are excellent... When used right, but that is hard and quite situational, so should only be taken if spammed or with a specific role... Often that will be dying so others don't have to.. So not good for 1k

Yeah about getting extra gants.. This is an issue however you just font have to spawn until some of your gants are dead...

Gants or hormagaunts but not a mixture, maybe at 2k but not at one, this is because things that work with gants don't work with hormo and the assaulty stuff works with hormos but not gants... Ie hormagaunts are good with an assault orientated force, termagants work better with a force that relies on maintaing a battlefield dominance for longer that the opponent, needs to be a choice you make...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tyrannid warriors are excellent... When used right, but that is hard and quite situational, so should only be taken if spammed or with a specific role... Often that will be dying so others don't have to.. So not good for 1k

Yeah about getting extra gants.. This is an issue however you just font have to spawn until some of your gants are dead...

Gants or hormagaunts but not a mixture, maybe at 2k but not at one, this is because things that work with gants don't work with hormo and the assaulty stuff works with hormos but not gants... Ie hormagaunts are good with an assault orientated force, termagants work better with a force that relies on maintaing a battlefield dominance for longer that the opponent, needs to be a choice you make...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts