Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, hey, hey...well, I've been playing several 500 point battles and am ready to graduate to 1000 point list, I think. Let me know what you think will be effective and what you'd change. Thanks up front for all c&c.

HQ:

Librarian
Epistolary
-The Gate of Infinity
-Vortex of Doom
(depending on deployment he will either be with Sternguard or tactical footsloggers using his teleport spell to jump around the table)

Troops:

Tactical squad
+5 marines
powerfist; missile launcher; Multi-melta

Tactical squad
+5 marines
Flamer; Missile Launcher
Rhino

7x scouts
6x sniper rifles; 7x camo cloaks; missile launcher

Elite:

Sternguard unit
Powerfist; multi-melta
Razorback

Heavy Support:

Vindicator

total: 997

So, I know I don't have any fast attack, but I have a lot of hard-hitters and solid mid-range capabilities. Let me know what you think and what you would do differently and against this list. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Librarian
Epistolary
-The Gate of Infinity
-Vortex of Doom
(depending on deployment he will either be with Sternguard or tactical footsloggers using his teleport spell to jump around the table)

Troops:

Tactical squad
+5 marines
powerfist; missile launcher; Multi-melta
Ok you can only have one heavy weapon on this group, unless that is a meltagun not a MM. Place your razorback here or make it a rhino if you need the extra points and place the sternguard with the Lib

Tactical squad
+5 marines
Flamer; Missile Launcher
Rhino

7x scouts
6x sniper rifles; 7x camo cloaks; missile launcher

Elite:

Sternguard unit
Powerfist; multi-melta
Razorback
You want to keep the specialty ammunition so keep the bolt guns. Put in a few combi-meltas

Heavy Support:

Vindicator

total: 997

·
Registered
22 Posts
Libby
Drop the epi upgrade. use it to buy them VV a rhino.

"Tactical squad
+5 marines
powerfist; missile launcher; Multi-melta"

SM can only get one heavy. Drop the ml to a flamer. The second tac should trade their ML for a mm.

The stern are a bit of a mixed bag. They have a heavy and a razor. My load out for Stern generally is 5 with 2x PC in a rhino. Then they can shoot out of the sunroof while staying safe. If you do want to keep the razor, i'd go for 2x HF so you can move 12" disembark 3" and fire a hf template +8". Puts 2 s5a4 template anywhere within 2' not to mention 3 double tapping sterns.

If you go with PC, keep VoD and get null for the lib, if HF, get avenger and null.

hope it helps.

Edit:
"You want to keep the specialty ammunition so keep the bolt guns. Put in a few combi-meltas"

the special ammo is good, but compare 5 stern 2 pc vs 5 dev 2 pc. 145 vs 140. for 5 points, you pick up +1a each, +1ld, and special ammo. Well worth it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the corrections. Here is my edited and updated list. I dropped one sniper for a few more combi-meltas for my sternguard.

HQ:

Librarian
Epistolary
-The Gate of Infinity
-Force dome/Vortex of doom (depending on the opponent)

Troops:

6x scouts
5 sniper rifles; Missile Launcher; 6x camo cloaks

10x tactical marines
Missile Launcher; meltagun
Rhino

10x tactical marines
Missile Launcher; Flamer
Powerfist

Elite:

5 Sternguard
powerfist; 4x combi-meltas
Razorback

Heavy Support:
Vindicator

Total points: 996

How does this list look, in terms of legality, functionability, weaknesses, etc.? Thanks again in advance for any c&c.

·
Registered
199 Posts
drop the epi upgrade, as it isn't really worth the points, using these points buy another rhino for the second tac squad, upgrade the flamer to a melta and the missle to a lascannon.

What did you find good in your 500pt list? Use that as you know how to use the units and their tactics.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Actually, as long as you don't pick up two shooting powers ( which he hasn't ), the Epi upgrade can easily pay for itself. But yes, the second Rhino is likely a better choice. There's decided potential in Gating around with an attached squad though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, on the epistolary thing...I am under the impression that you can cast two...errr sorry, use two psyker abilities in each turn. For example, I was thinking gate of Infinity and vortex of doom. Here you can cast "gate" during your move, then vortex of doom during your shooting. This would be what we call in fantasy a proverbial "deathstar" with a unit of sternguard, aye? However, not a cheesy one, due to the fact that not many around are using it. Then again, I could be interpreting the rules wrongly in this case. Anyone with some expert advice concerning this build?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vortex is heavy, so you can't use it after gate unless you pick up termie armor (might as well get a SS as well, for the 3++)

but Lib + stern is nowhere near a deathstar. I wish people wouldn't use bolshit jargon unless they know what it means. And how does having few poeple run it make it less cheesy? I don't even

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HQ:

Librarian
-The gate of Infinity
-Vortex of Doom

Troops:

6x scouts
sniper rifles x5; camo cloaks x6; missile launcher

Tactical squad
+5 marines; Powerfist; Lascannon; meltagun
Rhino

Tactical squad
+5 marines; Missile Launcher; meltagun
Rhino

Elite:

Sternguard
Powerfist; combi-melta x4
Razorback

Heavy Support:

Vindicator

Total points: 996

Alright, I dropped the epistolary, added a rhino, and some weapons. Any feedback? Thanks again for all the help in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Now we're getting somewhere. Final tweaks would be to change vortex for avenger, switch rides with the pf tac and the stern, and pick up hf/mm for them. Drop one scout to make up the points.

Lib
-gate(or null or might)
-Avenger

Scout x5
-cloaks
-snipes
-ML

Tacx10
-pf
-melta
-Las
Razor (combat squad)

Tacx10
-melta
-ML(I'd go MM. Scares tanks, ML doesn't)
Rhino

Sternx5
-melta x3
-HF
-MM
Rhino

Vindi

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still a bit limited when it comes to heavy weapon support. For instance, I had to pick up a lascannon model and yet to grab a multi-melta model. So my list has not incorporated all the advice. However, a multi-melta model and a devastator unit will be on next month's list of acquisition. So here is my 1k list with just a few points left over. As always c&c is encouraged and appreciated. Oh...I also have a Dreadnought with a Multi-melta and CC arm with a drop pod, if anyone would see a use in dropping a tactical squad for that?

HQ:

Librarian
*Might of the Ancients
*Avenger (since I don't have a heavy flamer)
fielded with the Sternguard

Troops:

Tactical unit 1
+5; Lascannon; Flamer; Powerfist
Razorback

Tactical unit 2
+5; Missile Launcher; Meltagun
Rhino

6x Scouts
5x sniper rifles; 6x camo cloaks; missile launcher

Elite:

Sternguard
Powerfist; 4x combi-melta
Rhino

Heavy Support:

Vindicator

Total points: 991

So let me hear what you have to say about this one. Again, one idea for making up for no multi-melta models is a Dreadnought in a Droppod. :so_happy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts