Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with a few 1k Beastmen armies, this is the first one I've started to flesh out. However, I'm relatively new to WHFB and need some input.

The following army is meant to start an escalating local GW shop campaign/ event. 1k is the starting.

Slugtounge (190) * if I can add the 'chalice of dark rain' i would/ will
Gorebull: AHW, Heavy armor, Ramhorn Helm, steel claws, shield BSB (222)

Core:

Gor herd: 18 gors (6x3 formation ) AHW SB & musician (144)
*Gorebull will go with this unit*

Ungor Raiders x10 Musician (63)
*screening group*

Ungor Raiders
x10 Musician (63)
*screening group*

Ungor Raiders
x10 Musician (63)
*ambushers*

*ambushers*

Tuskagor Chariot: 80 pts

Special:

Bestigors: 12 (6x2 formation) Musician & SB (162)

I'm at 1050 points, so a bit over, I'm wondering where to shave the points.
some options are:
  • Lose the chariot for points to make it legal. However, I'm concerned that I'll lose an important counter-charge unit.
  • for 120 points I could get a block of 20 ungor spearmen w/ sheilds to house "slugtounge" and add a small nice spear block near the Gor group. (I'd drop the chariot and 1-2 raider groups.)
  • I'd like to beef up the Gor Herd. I'm thinking to sacrifice one Ungor raider group and maybe the chariot (to make it legal...)

At a bit of a loss, for 1k this isn't a bad start. However, at 1250 this even with some upgrades might be underpowered.
My math may be even more shoddy than usual. (1:20 am, just got in from work.) So please excuse and any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Having more Ungors than Gors is never a good idea, they're cunning little bastards... :p

But seriously, you really should take another unit of Gors instead of two Raiders. Also, it is not always a wise idea to ambush your opponent (WoC for instance), so it would be unwise to gear your army toward this. I don't recommend Ungors since they're missing that Ld/T/WS Gors have, and since neither of them (or rather the whole army) has any armour save worth mentioning, you rely on your T to keep you safe. Though Raiders are great I'll give you that.

The second thing I noticed is that your BSB has magical items, which he shouldn't, sadly, as he can only have Gifts. But this makes him probably the Gorebull the toughest BSB in the game. :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
The second thing I noticed is that your BSB has magical items, which he shouldn't, sadly, as he can only have Gifts. But this makes him probably the Gorebull the toughest BSB in the game. :)
Surely the Gorebull can have magical items provided he doesnt take a magic banner? i thought that was the way it worked :scratchhead:

other than that i agree with many of your points Khorothis. Gors are far superior for a negligible points difference to ungors

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also,
the ungor raiders are there to not only perform their usual 'machine hunting' but to also make the enemy genuinely concered and perhaps save me some shooting on my main force.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if the Bestigors would benifit from "frenzy" or "primal fury" more. That unit will be beefed up & maybe a second small bestigor unit.

and yes, this many ungor raiders would be great to screen a 2k force, not a 1k force. More gors and warhounds are in order.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
On second thoughts I'd beef up those Gors A LOT. I did a bit of math and dice rolling this afternoon as I was once again torn between WoC and Beastmen and I got sad. :(
12 (5x2+2) Warriors with Shields, Musician, MoT and Standard Bearer killed 7 Gors while the 23 (used-to-be-30 (6x5)) Gors with AHW, Musician and Standard Bearer could only kill 1 Warrior. And that was just the first turn of the combat and the Gors succeeded their Primal Fury test (which is more important than Frenzy BTW, though Frenzy wouldn't hurt), though being Steadfast the Gors held their ground but the meatgrinder of the Warriors was lethal and they simply don't give a fuck about getting wounds in CC because getting anything past a 3+/5++ is not as easy as it might appear to be, if at all. And the worst part is that said Warrior unit is cheaper than said Gor unit, and was/is a standard in my 1000 point list. :(

I just don't know what to think now. :(

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I've been toying with a few 1k Beastmen armies, this is the first one I've started to flesh out. However, I'm relatively new to WHFB and need some input.

The following army is meant to start an escalating local GW shop campaign/ event. 1k is the starting.

Slugtounge (190) * if I can add the 'chalice of dark rain' i would/ will
Gorebull: AHW, Heavy armor, Ramhorn Helm, steel claws, shield BSB (222)
Where are you putting him? I guess with the Bestigors. Anywhere else he's off base size, I think. You're fine with Magic Items, a BSB can have them without trouble, just as long as he has no Magic Banner. Consider Gnarled Hide for this one.
Core:

Gor herd: 18 gors (6x3 formation ) AHW SB & musician (144)
*Gorebull will go with this unit*
24 in this unit. No question. 6x4. Bigger is better in 8th edition.
*screening group*

Ungor Raiders
x10 Musician (63)
*screening group*
One Raider, one ambusher. That is all you should have.

Ungor Raiders
x10 Musician (63)
*ambushers*

*ambushers*
24 Ungors with Spears and shield. Large units.
Tuskgor Chariot: 80 pts

Special:

Bestigors: 12 (6x2 formation) Musician & SB (162)
16 is better if you can swing it. With the GoreBull thats 5x4
I'm at 1050 points, so a bit over, I'm wondering where to shave the points.
some options are:
  • Lose the chariot for points to make it legal. However, I'm concerned that I'll lose an important counter-charge unit.
  • for 120 points I could get a block of 20 ungor spearmen w/ sheilds to house "slugtounge" and add a small nice spear block near the Gor group. (I'd drop the chariot and 1-2 raider groups.)
  • I'd like to beef up the Gor Herd. I'm thinking to sacrifice one Ungor raider group and maybe the chariot (to make it legal...)

At a bit of a loss, for 1k this isn't a bad start. However, at 1250 this even with some upgrades might be underpowered.
My math may be even more shoddy than usual. (1:20 am, just got in from work.) So please excuse and any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Creon. Much reputation for your insights & helping with the existing list.

So far my army lists have been rather disastrous. I love Beastmen and realize that it's not the easiest army to start WHFB with.

What was posted about the warriors of Chaos vs Gor formation is somewhat disconcerting. However, head on, point for point, I would 100% expect Chaos Warriors to decimate gors. That's their specialty. Beastmen have different strengths and it's up to me to find them and play to them. Charging into a meat grinder is not one of those things I look forward to doing.

I think that the Gorebull will need to be in at least a 1250 army...possibly 2000. If I made him a lord, perhaps that's a different % (or not...I'm at work and don't have rule book) for him to fit in.

You're right, losing the chariot would help fill out some units. Namely the Bestigors and Gors to appropriate sizes.
Even though the BSB Gorebull has magic items and cannot carry a magic banner, the Bestigors could carry a magic banner up to 50 points.
For that Gorebull, I will certainly look at the 'gnarled hide'.

Now, to figure out warmachines & how to deal with them. Warhounds to help the ungor raiders?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think the Raiders should be enough. You could also try deploying Slugtongue last, so when the opponent's warmachines are placed you can put him in the front row, damaging the crew (potentially wiping them out in turn 1!). Trollface recommended while doing so. :laugh: :grin:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think the Raiders should be enough. You could also try deploying Slugtongue last, so when the opponent's warmachines are placed you can put him in the front row, damaging the crew (potentially wiping them out in turn 1!). Trollface recommended while doing so. :laugh: :grin:
Great minds think alike.
muahah.

Should I protect Slugtounge with a unit of gors? Some gors w/ shields? *edit* Sluggy will be in the potential 'gor-spears & shield' unit.
I may beef this army to 1250 to make the Gorebull a doombull and upgrade as well as up the regular army filling out.

With Gnarled hide and the Ramhorn helm & steel claws, that doombull can dish out a ton of attacks. (and whatever armor fits). If i can get the Bestigors a helpful banner on their own unit (+1 WS or something) it would be great. I do like Primal Fury better than frenzy. However, can they re-roll Primal Fury since their so close to the BSB?

I'm hoping yes. Expecting No.

thanks all for the help. I'm hoping to field this unit this week.

and post pictures on blog tonight.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
:grin:

If I were you, I'd maximalise the humiliation factor by leaving Slugtongue alone. If he decides to shoot him then the rest of your troops are saved from at least one salvo. And hey, if he survives you can increase the trollface to 1024x768! :laugh:

About the other thing... since Primal Fury is essentially and Ld test/check I think they should be able to reroll it. With heavy emphasis on "I think". :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.