Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing my Iron Warrior obsession, here is an attempt to create a competitive yet themed and creative list, I have not played a game of 40k for a long time, but would like to think my theory and ideas are still viable, hopefully the wise people of this forum can help guide me. Sorry in advance if this not everyone cup of tea, I like using the space marine codex to represent my Iron Warriors, also sorry if this should be in the chaos army list section, I am running of the presumption that it is using Codex Space Marines as the rule base that it belonged in this section.

Main idea here is a list based around just six ancient Iron Warriors, the grand company they belong to has long since splintered and they are now led by their warsmith, raging across the Imperium unleashing their unending hatred. Of course plenty of slaves, ablative flesh for the meat grinder, aspirants and chaos followers are brought along for the ride. (so the new Astra Milit..., sigh Imperial Guard codex is being tossed around as allies or the Militarum Tempestus)

+++ Contemno, Warband of the IV Legion (1850pts) +++
+++ 1850pt Space Marines:- Clan Raukaan, Militarum Tempestus, Inquisition, Imperial Knights (Primary Detachment, Allied Detachment, Inquisitorial Detachment, Allied Knight Detachment) +++

Selections:

Space Marines - Clan Raukaan

+ HQ + (570pts)

* Captain (570pts)
* The Gorgon’s Chain, Warlord (Clan Raukaan Warlord Traits)
* Artificer Armour, Lightning Claw, Thunder Hammer, Bike
* Command Squad w/ 5x Storm Shield
* Apothecary w/ Grav-gun, Power Lance
* Space Marine Bikes
* 4x Veteran Space Marine w/ 4x Grav-gun, 4x Power Lance

+ Troops + (260pts)

* Scout Squad (130pts)
* Land Speeder Storm
*Heavy Flamer
* Scout Veteran Sergeant w/ Lightning Claw, Space Marine Shotgun and Melta Bombs
* 4x Scout with Shotgun

* Scout Squad (130pts)
* Land Speeder Storm
*Heavy Flamer
* Scout Veteran Sergeant w/ Lightning Claw, Space Marine Shotgun and Melta Bombs
* 4x Scout with Shotgun

+ Heavy Support + (150pts)

* Stalker (75pts)

* Stalker (75pts)

Militarum Tempestus (Allied Detachment)

+ HQ + (175pts)

* Militarum Tempestus Command Squad (175pts)
* Tempestor Prime w/ Plasma Pistol, Power Sword
* 4x Tempestus Scion w/ Plasma Gun

+ Troops + (200pts)

* Militarum Tempestus Scions (100pts)
* Tempestor
* 2x Tempestus Scion
* 2x Tempestus Scion w/ Plasma Gun

* Militarum Tempestus Scions (100pts)
* Tempestor
* 2x Tempestus Scion
* 2x Tempestus Scion w/ Plasma Gun

Inquisition (Inquisitorial Detachment)

+ HQ + (125pts)

* Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (64pts)
Force Sword, 3x Servo Skulls
* Psyker w/Psychic Communion

* Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (61pts)
Force Sword, 2x Servo Skulls
* Psyker w/Psychic Communion

Imperial Knights (Allied Knight Detachment)

+ Knights + (370pts)

* Knight Errant (370pts)

Comes to 1850 exactly, small army over all, but got to really kit out each of the squads, one thing I'm not sure if it is actually ok by the rules, is equipping the apothecary with upgrades, any one know?

I have no idea if the Imperial Knight is a viable option, but love the model and had to buy one, I think in theory it should be useful, if nothing more than an expensive distraction as it rushing across the board, and I cant wait to see one slightly converted and painted in the Iron Warrior scheme.

Basic strategy is to play aggressively, force the opponent to choose between the knight and the command squad, and as soon as turn two arrives, bring in the three Tempestus squads deep striking in behind enemy lines to add some dangerous distractions.

I have played one test game so far, came up against blood angels, rough list was as follows
Libby with jump pack.
Priest with jump pack.
10 Assault Marines, 2 Melta guns, Sergeant Not sure what upgrades.
10 Assault Marines, 2 Melta guns, Sergeant Not sure what upgrades.
5 Marines in Razorback, twin lascannons, Plasma gun, Sergeant Not sure what upgrades.
5 Devastators with Missile Launchers
Stormraven with 8 Death co not sure what upgrades, but did see one thunder hammer.
2 Baal Predators, assault cannons and heavy bolters
Dreadnaught + Drop pod, frag cannon.

We rolled missions, ended up kill points, and short board edges. We used a pre set board, ruins on one short edge, and trenches the other, I ended up on the trench side (quite annoying for my bikes and knight).

I deployed defensively, with speeders guarding my stalkers and knight, all grouped together, this was to stop the drop pod from getting to the knights rear armour, or the stalkers, and I did not feel safe rushing the scouts up the field.

I had some poor positioning and decision making, very rusty, but the game basically boiled down to the command squad rushing into the centre of his force, just coming up short of a charge, then getting charged by everything on turn 2. Combat lasted all the way to turn 5, the titan killed a predator and some infantry, before wading into combat and winning the assault for me, but not until the captain finally died.

Oh the stalkers were amazing, between the two, they glanced both predators, took out 2 marines, and destroyed the stormraven and the 5 members of the death co died in the explosion. That being said I think if I had being able to guide/divination psykers they would have been even better early game.

Terrible scatter results for the Militarum Tempestus saw the command squad go back into reserves, one squad forgot to use their grav chutes and impacted with hard earth and bone shattering speeds, and the final squad ended up in a useless position and 1 member falling to difficult terrain. Made for some fun results but they definitely did not pull their weight. The command squad did finally come on the board they minced the razorback, but then got shredded by the baal that they could not see.

Overall and interesting game, too many mistakes by me for it to have felt like a good game, but I have hopefully learned from them, the end result was 8/7 my favour.

I felt that he knight was very strong in this game, but that was because it was not targeted, and there wasn't a huge amount of weapons that could hurt it, for the first 3 turns it was out of range of the missile launcher devastator squad, and when it did make range it charged into the melee.

I'm working on two alterations of the list, I won't post them yet, but basically one is switching an inquisitor and some upgrades out for Coteaz, to aid the stalkers, and stop my opponents seizing the initiative. The other is switching out one Tempestus Squad for a Librarian on a bike to join the command squad, and maybe even upgrading the captain to a chapter master.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Been thinking of what to do with the spare points, and the list is now complete! Modelling has started, hopefully photo's will be following soon.

Here's my finished 1850pts Iron Warriors + Guard list.

(Clan Raukaan Primary Detachment)
HQ (225pts)
Captain (225pts) Warlord
Auspex, The Gorgon’s Chain, Artificer Armour, Lightning Claw, Thunder Hammer and Space Marine Bike

Elites (180pts)
Dreadnought (180pts)
Multi-Melta and Power Fist with Heavy Flamer, Venerable Dreadnought.
Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon, Storm Bolter

Troops (270pts)
Scout Squad (135pts)
Land Speeder Storm w/Cerberus Launcher, Heavy Flamer, Jamming Beacon
4x Scout with Shotguns
Veteran Scout Sergeant w/Combi Melta and Lightning Claw

Scout Squad (135pts)
Land Speeder Storm w/Cerberus Launcher, Heavy Flamer, Jamming Beacon
4x Scout with Shotguns
Veteran Scout Sergeant w/Combi Melta and Lightning Claw

Fast Attack (160pts)
Land Speeder Squadron (80pts)
Land Speeder w/ Double Multi-melta

Land Speeder Squadron (80pts)
Land Speeder w/ Double Multi-melta

Heavy Support (150pts)
Stalker (75pts)

Stalker (75pts)

(Allied Astra Militarum Detachment)
No Force Org Slot (240pts)
Cypher (190pts)

Ministorum Priest (25pts)
Autogun

Ministorum Priest (25pts)
Autogun

HQ (145pts)
Commissar Yarrick (145pts)

Troops (307pts)
Infantry Platoon (307pts)

Infantry Squad
9x Guardsman w/ Lasguns
Sergeant w/ Bolt Pistol and Melta Bombs

Infantry Squad
9x Guardsman w/ Lasguns

Infantry Squad
9x Guardsman w/ Lasguns

Infantry Squad
9x Guardsman w/ Lasguns
Sergeant w/ Laspistol

Infantry Squad
9x Guardsman w/ Lasguns
Sergeant w/ Laspistol

Platoon Command Squad
4x Guardsman w/ Sniper Rifle
Platoon Commander w/ Bolter

(Inquisitorial Detachment)

HQ (173pts)
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (79pts)
Force Sword, Psychotroke Grenades, 3x Servo Skulls
Psyker (Mastery Level 1) w/ Hammerhand

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (94pts)
Force Sword, Liber Heresius, Rad Grenades, 3x Servo Skulls
Psyker (Mastery Level 1) w/ Psychic Communion

Similar to before, just more balanced now in my opinion, with two fast attack choices being added.

Ideally I want second turn in most cases I believe, letting me charge.

As before, all the independent characters join the combined guard blob and infiltrate forward, the six servo skulls clear out an area large enough for the blob to infiltrate into, then Liber Heresius lets them to scout forward a bit more :grin:

Land Speeders + Storms can either deepstrike or start on the board, I'm leaning to deepstriking now that the drop pod has a locator beacon. If after a few practice games I hate deep striking them, then I can change psychic communion out for another hammer hand!

I've chosen the Venerable dreadnought over an Ironclad because it's role for me is really a turn 1 melta shot on what ever is the most dangerous armoured threat, and bs 5 multi melta seems to be allot more consitant at bringing results than a bs 4 melta gun.... although I can see that the Ironclad is allot better as the game continues if it survives.

Please critique this list, I'm trying to arrange a test game soon, but any suggestions before then would be great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts