Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright, this list clocks in at 1849 points it has 4 decent sized (somewhat survivable) troop choices all with very mobile options, and alot of anti-tank incorporiated. The plan here is to have eldrad and dire avengers be the main anti horde, while basicly everything else snipes important armour/monstrous creatures/synapse'y stuff. and the jetbikes can help with dropping some of the hordes and trying to stay alive to hold that one objective I need to win if the mission be objectives. Please leave feedback quickly! and thanks for your time.

Farseer - Doom, Rune of Warding, Rune of Witnessing

6 Fire Dragons
Wave Serpent - Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon

6 Fire Dragons
Wave Serpent - Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon

10 Dire Avengers
Wave Serpent - Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

10 Dire Avengers

9 Dire Avengers

9 Dire Avengers

Fire Prism - Shuriken Cannon

serious respect goes out to copy + paste

·
Registered
48 Posts
That list looks pretty solid actually. I personally would add Exarchs to the Fire dragons though. Having tank hunters helps a lot and so does crack shot when you have to deal with vendettas or valks. Or any fast vehicles. Denying cover saves with melta weapons is fun. especially with a fire pike. I would axe a couple bikes and a shuriken cannon then remove the bright lances from the storm guardian wave serpent. put scatter lasers on it to support them with any troops that may get in their way. I would also add a warlock with enhance to them. Just suggestions.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
nono i like, Im gonna have a look into the list and see if I could make it somehow more diverse by saveing points in some overkill areas, give me a little time and ill try put up a new list.

edit: new list in first post

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm assuming you're using your falcons to deliver the fire dragons, yes?

Also, I would have to disagree with adding an Exarch to the FD squads. 6 regular troops seems to be enough bang for your point-buck to get rid of any unfortunate tank should stumble in their way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also consider giving the group of DAs running with Eldrad the shimmer shield/ deffend combo. When combined with his fortune it makes for a nigh unkillable unit.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
indeed. consider giving Scorp. Exarch a Biting Blade as well.

you lose your awesome initiative for a less than optimal Power Fist.

looks solid otherwise.

good hunting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright another list has been posted/ edited in. I have basicly went all DA's n dragons and I tried to skip on all the point sinks. I also ended up throwing some underslung cannons of there for some BONUS shots!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your list is quite similar to my 1500 point one so I’m going to have a shot at commenting :p

In my opinion the shuriken cannons on the Fire Prisms are a waste—they shouldn’t ever be in close proximity to the enemy. In most situations you will most likely reposition your Fire Prisms away from close range (likely melta wielding) threats before those extra strength 6 shots become useful (if 3 templates can’t kill it then, 9 cannon shots wont either).

Another thought is; Eldrad can do basically everything those 2 Doomseers can (and more besides) for 15 points extra.

I think you should drop the shuriken cannons on the fire prisms and use the points to upgrade the guns on your other tanks. Alternatively, you can use the points and scrap your 2 Doomseers to get Eldrad—although, I understand that there are some disadvantages to doing that.

·
I Piss in your Cheerios
7,370 Posts
I like the list, though I find Bladestorm does too little for the cost - I would drop the Exarchs entirely. This saves 96 points (?) and then I'd drop the second Seer, who I think costs 100, to give you 196 spare. At this point, remove the Stones on the DA Serps, and you have enough to put ChinCannons on the FD Serps (so they can actually DO something when the Dragons get out) and you have enough points for another Serpent of Avengers. You might have to rearrange some guys, into 4 squads of 8, instead of the tens...but it comes together about right.

As regards the ChinCannons on Fire Prisms - these are vital, for the inevitable loss of the Cannon, and the sad days when Infiltrating/outflanking CC units are close enough you have to shoot them with everything you have, because running away doesn't cut it. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well king I have taken serious respect towards your superior rep and I've reworked the list in accord to your recommendations, I trust you know what you are talking about much more than I. ive done the math and for what my troops are used for they really do have a plenty of shots without needing to "waste" points on the blade storm, it makes a good unit better but their alright how they are vanilla. The removal of the stones from the serpents is a first time for any of my lists. but it will help me bring more grav tanks and cummulitive shots to the table. and I hope that with all the shots flying around my fire dragons wont die before they kill what needs to be melted. Thank you very much eveyone with your input and I am very satisfied with the list.

new list in 1st post.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Taking Chin cannons on everything seems like a waste of points. Granted I agree that it gives you a back up on Fire Prisms as they will be primary targets. No exarchs seems like a bad Idea to me, But I use them all the time. That list seems great for objective games but you have so many kill points it may be a handicap in non objective games.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
only thing i would change to you most current list is to take HoloFields for the Prism tanks.

good hunting.

·
I Piss in your Cheerios
7,370 Posts
Taking Chin cannons on everything seems like a waste of points. Granted I agree that it gives you a back up on Fire Prisms as they will be primary targets. No exarchs seems like a bad Idea to me, But I use them all the time. That list seems great for objective games but you have so many kill points it may be a handicap in non objective games.
Fortunately, the inherent toughness of Wave Serpents, combined with the resilience that the 5e ruleset gives vehicles in general, should see him relatively okay.

Remember - knowing how many KP you can give away is a good thing - but it's bad to build your army around such a thing.

Oh - and in reference to your comment Mal - I find that anything that increases the odds of the Prism suffering a Weapon Destroyed not worth 35 points. Sure, you're a lot less likely to get Wrecked, or Explode - but the odds of everything else increase, and without a Transport capacity, you aren't very good at much but shooting.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Sure, you're a lot less likely to get Wrecked, or Explode - but the odds of everything else increase, and without a Transport capacity, you aren't very good at much but shooting.
Holofields have actually saved my Fire Prisms too many times for them to be discounted, especially in any setting with kill points.

a tank that can't shoot it's main weapon for whatever reason and cannot move still keeps KP's away from your opponent.

and with that being said, it's worth taking as it pisses off your opponent when s/he can't kill a couple of Fire Prisms. it almost becomes the focus of their strategy. sure, veteran players can get past something like this, but it's still useful.

it also keeps fire away from Wave Serpents, which do carry troops.

this is not to say your Mathammer is wrong. you're probably right, but i think they're worth it regardless.

·
I Piss in your Cheerios
7,370 Posts
Holofields have actually saved my Fire Prisms too many times for them to be discounted, especially in any setting with kill points.

a tank that can't shoot it's main weapon for whatever reason and cannot move still keeps KP's away from your opponent.

and with that being said, it's worth taking as it pisses off your opponent when s/he can't kill a couple of Fire Prisms. it almost becomes the focus of their strategy. sure, veteran players can get past something like this, but it's still useful.

it also keeps fire away from Wave Serpents, which do carry troops.

this is not to say your Mathammer is wrong. you're probably right, but i think they're worth it regardless.
Sure, it protects the KP they can concede - but so would moving them 24" away. What's more, the ability to move them away doesn't cost more than half another unit's points (ie, a Vyper.) When you are getting several, you are spending 70 or 105 points on the upgrade - an awful lot. I find it an excellent upgrade for Falcons - both because it protects MULTIPLE Kill Points (usually 3) but also because they have no no-brainer guns to take off with a Wep Des result. Sure, usually the Pulse is first to go - but it's not as simple, and it's not that big a deal.

Anyway, H-F increases the odds of Immob results too - which is pretty bad overall, especially if trying to zoom away.

I don't think you were trying to imply otherwise, but, just for clarity - I'm using Mathhammer to illustrate a point I learnt the hard way, because telling you how many games they were useless and a waste of points is :
a) Very hard to quantify, and,
b) Irrelevant, when you don't know the calibre of my opposition.

I used Stones and H-Fs on my Prisms for a LONG time, but literally have never looked back since I found myself less outnumbered dropping them.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
that's fine if you don't like Holofields; two explanations as to why you don't like a piece of wargear is not necessary.

i still recommend them.

let the OP decide what he wants to do. it's his list.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts