Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the release of the 'new'(ish) Tau codex, I have immediately set down to write a new army list.

Goal

The goal of this list is to win in the most competitive environments; Invisible deathstars, Eldar and Necrons etc

Theories of list construction

1. “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

What this means in the simplest of terms is that being too rigid causes problems and being flexible allows you to become greater

2. Non Linear Warfare

A term coined by Vladislav Surkov that again in its simplest form means that your opponentis left in an entire state of confusion as they do not understand what you are trying to achieve

How to apply this to 40k army list

Well only Tau can do it, thanks to two things. Army wide Jetpacks and Target locks.

Name
Now I like to name my army lists after something that symbolises what the army hold

I have named this army list the 'Lernaean Hydra' as its 2 heads symbolises the two formations and the philosophical stand point in writing this list

Army list

Firebase Support Cadre: 1000 Points
Please note that this formation is not here for the formation rules; Coordinated Firestorm. I doubt it will ever get used. The formation is here for the unit composition

XV104 Riptide Unit
1x XV104; T-L Fusion Blaster, Heavy Burst Cannon, EWO, Stimulant Injector, Warlord
1x XV104; T-L Fusion Blaster, Ion Accelerator, EWO, Target Lock
1x XV104; T-L Fusion Blaster, Ion Accelerator, EWO, Target Lock
The first of the two big hitting Fire teams, the Fusion blasters dont complement the Ion accelerator but they do, do the job of keeping my opponents vehicles pinned back. The Target locks allow my unit to preserve points but not overcommit. The Stimulant Injector is practically compulsory with a Heavy Burst Cannon

XV88 Broadside Team
Shas'ui; HYMP, SMS
Shas'ui; HYMP, SMS
Shas'ui; HYMP, SMS

XV88 Broadside Team
Shas'ui; HYMP, SMS
Shas'ui; HYMP, SMS
Shas'ui; HYMP, SMS
The Anti-everything. The amount of shots these unis put out is frightening, can hit fliers (Wont be needed very often) thanks to quantity and Twin-linked. Only thing they cant deal with is AV14.

Optimized Stealth Cadre: 797 Points

XV95 Ghostkeel Unit
1x XV95, Cyclic Ion Raker, T-L Fusion Blaster, Target Lock, Velocity Tracker, BKR
1x XV95, Cyclic Ion Raker, T-L Fusion Blaster, Target Lock, Velocity Tracker, BKR
1x XV95, Cyclic Ion Raker, T-L Fusion Blaster, Velocity Tracker, BKR
The second of the Big hitter fire teams. In the Optimised Stealth Cadre, I believe a unit of 3 Ghostkeels is the best unit in the Tau book. With Wall of Mirrors the 3 of them are BS5 and Ignores cover. Meaning they do not need Markerlight support which is huge! Cyclic Ion Raker & T-L Fusion blaster, hitting rear armour and Velocity tracker will rip through a large amount of armour in the meta either on the ground or in the air.

XV25 Stealth Team
Shas'vre; Target Lock & Markerlight, Drone Controller, 2 Marker Drones
Shas'ui; Fusion blaster, Target lock
Shas'ui; Burst cannon, Target lock

XV25 Stealth Team
Shas'vre; Target Lock & Markerlight, Drone Controller, 2 Marker Drones
Shas'ui; Fusion blaster, Target lock
Shas'ui; Burst cannon, Target lock
So these two units are a revamped idea of an old school unit; the Stealth marker team. While they do not have the quantity of marker drones of old, the increased Ballistic Skill (4 with Wall of Mirrors) will make up for it. The ghostkeels wont be needing markerlights in theory so they will be selecting targets for either the Riptides or Broadsides

Inquisitorial Detachment
Inquisitor: 34 Points
3 Servo-skulls
34 Points to protect myself from the terrifying scouting deathstars that effectively gives me another turn of moving and shooting

Total Points 1,831

Overall

There we have it, 19 points short, that does not leave option for much but it looks pretty deadly with an answer to pretty much everything. A Warlord Riptide will be pretty hard to take down. The OSC can tear any light to medium armour to shreds whether its on the ground or in the air. Fire team making my 2 units of Jet pack monstrous creatures BS4 is pretty nice meaning the two markerlight stealth teams can concentrate on just stripping cover saves. Note with Wall of Mirrors the Ghostkeels are BS5.

Let me know what you think

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.