Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted version one of this list a little back and got some feedback but that list was made before extensive play testing. Things have now changed, the meta has settled down with the Tau release and now I am here again to present to you my new competitive non-hunter cadre list, this list has yet to be played, need to finish building and painting pathfinders (Only play with painted models).

My goals and list construction theory hasn't changed

Goal

The goal of this list is to win in the most competitive environments; Invisible deathstars, Eldar, Superfriends, Necrons and Knights etc

Theories of list construction

1. “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

What this means in the simplest of terms is that being too rigid causes problems and being flexible allows you to become greater

2. Non Linear Warfare

A term coined by Vladislav Surkov that again in its simplest form means that your opponentis left in an entire state of confusion as they do not understand what you are trying to achieve

How to apply this to 40k army list

Well only Tau can do it, thanks to two things. Army wide Jetpacks and Target locks.
However I have learnt and expanded on how to apply this theory to 40k. It is about maneuverability and shooting priority. Infiltration is a pseudo movement and MSU is an alternative to Target locks

Name
Now I like to name my army lists

I have named this army list the 'Jaegar program'

Army list

Combined Arms detachment
HQ - Commander: 140 Points
Dual Airburst Fragmentation Projector, Talisman of Arthas Moloch, Warlord

So I wanted to give this a go, being able to protect my other units from uber psychic phase and dish out pain to units hiding. Missiles or Plasma maybe better

TROOPS - 1 Crisis Suit: 33 Points
Dual Flamers, BKR
Dual Flamers, BKR
Dual Flamers, BKR

So back to Monats for Objective Secured, they are a lot easier to hide than units of Kroot. Also I have divided labour between Objective capturing and Scouting blocking. Dual flamers are able to put a lot of hurt on opponents infantry designed to capture objectives

Inquisitorial Detachment

HQ - Ordo Xenos Inquisitor: 34 Points
3 Servo-skulls

34 Points to protect myself from the terrifying scouting deathstars that effectively gives me another turn of moving and shooting

Officio Assassinorum Detachment

ELITE - Culexus Assassin: 140 Points

The only answer Tau have to the dominant psychic phase

Ranged Support Cadre: 342 Points

Pathfinder team: 48 Points
4x Shas'ui, BKR

4x Shas'ui, BKR

4x Shas'ui, BKR

So these are brand new to me having never liked Pathfinders throughout the editions. This formation however has changed my mind. Doubling markerlight hits should give me 12 markerlights a turn, 4 on 3 targets at full strength. When combined with the Ghostkeel wings formation special rules and in cover I am looking at 2+ cover save just like stealth teams. Looking forward to playtesting these

XV88 Broadside Team: 69 Points
Shas'ui; HYMP, SMS, Advanced Targeting system

The Anti-everything. The amount of shots these unis put out is frightening, can hit fliers (Wont be needed very often) thanks to quantity and Twin-linked. Only thing they cant deal with is AV14. , Advanced Targeting system is basically a luxury when I had 9 points to spend at the end

Riptide Wing: 603 Points

Riptide: 221 Points
T-L Fusion Blaster, Heavy Burst Cannon, EWO, Stimulant Injector, BKR

Riptide: 191 Points
T-L Fusion Blaster, Ion Accelerator, EWO, BKR

Riptide: 191 Points
T-L Fusion Blaster, Ion Accelerator, EWO, BKR

I used to run these as a single unit of 3 to preserve points. In terms of raw power they have increased thanks too Hailfire. The Fusion blasters don't complement any of the primary weapons but they do, do the job of keeping my opponents vehicles pinned back. EWO are here to protect myself from drop podding armies and the like. The Stimulant Injector is practically compulsory with a Heavy Burst Cannon

Ghostkeel Wing: 483 Points

Ghostkeel: 161 Points
Cyclic Ion Raker, T-L Fusion Blaster, Velocity Tracker, BKR

Now previously I ran these as one unit in an Optimised Stealth Cadre and I found them to be fantastic! However I needed to drop the stealth teams to make my changes. These three units now have to return to being supported by Markerlights. Cyclic Ion Raker & T-L Fusion blasters, with Velocity tracker will continue to rip through a large amount of armour in the meta either on the ground or in the air.

There we have it, it looks pretty deadly with an answer to pretty much everything. An MSU Tau army that has a deadly amount of firepower, a tonne of units and objective secured. Love to hear what you think and whether you think it is an improvement over the first version.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts