Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK first post and a first army list. This seems to be the place to get some experienced feedback on a possible list. This isn’t intended as a competitive list but could be facing a wide variety of possible opponents. The list is partly based upon models I already have and also a wish list so there is some flexabilty there...

HQ
Chaos Lord, MoN, Bike, Sigil, Black Mace-170pts

Troops
Plague marines x7 2xMelta gun Champ with combi melta and melta bombs Rhino 238 pts
Plague marines x7 2xMelta gun Champ with combi melta and melta bombs Rhino 238 pts
CSM x10 VoLW Flamerx2 Champ with combi melta and melta bombs-185pts

Elite
Terminators x5 combi melta, Mon, Powerfist -247pts

Fast Attack
Bikers x3 MoN 2xMeltagun Champ Melta bomb- 113pts
Heldrake- baleflamer

Heavy Support
Havocs x5 VolW Lasercannonx4 Aegis Defence Quad Cannon- 260
Obliterators x3 Mon 228

Total points 1849
Number of models 39 (not including aegis and cannon)

The bikers and biker lord move forward as fast as possible, targeting T3/4 blobs (hence Black Mace). However the Mace is only AP4; would the (cheaper) Buring Brand be a better option? Also 3 bikers seems a little small; do I need more?

The two PM units move forward to tackle midfield/midgame objectives (assuming the rhino survive long enough)and get the PM into range to disembark turn 2. The CSM are there to hold the backline and objectives as necessary. This only provides three scoring units though. Would two units of 20 cultists, one with a flamer be a better choice for the same price?

Terminators are a flexible unit that could deep strike from reserve if necessary.

Heldrake does its stuff; vector strike on flyers and baleflamer makes life hot for troops

Oblits provide necessary covering fire to Rhinos and bikers early on and targets anything that makes it through to midfield or beyond. One unit of 3 or two of 2 and 1?

Havocs- Debated long and hard about these guys. The quad cannon provides AA cover. The four lascannons provide a good chance against any armour within 48” and so the aegis cover would need careful placing. Should I be looking at another unit of 3 Oblits instead as this would free up points for an extra biker?

Any other thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Actualy the black mace is ap 2 it has fleshbane
Wrong. It's AP4. Its AP2 in the hands of a Daemon Prince. It is however Fleshbane, which means it always wounds on a 2+, doesn't make it AP2.

As for the list, I'll throw my ideas in lime green.

HQ
Chaos Lord, MoN, Bike, Sigil, Black Mace-170pts

T6 is good for the Lord, I would scrap the mace though, at AP4 its quite useless. Yes you can throw out possibly 10 attacks but that's not so good when most things are going to get an armour save against him. You're probably better off giving him a Power fist and Lightning Claw. That gives you 5 attacks on the charge and the possibility to tear through marines with a claw and light-medium armoured tanks with a fist.

Troops
CSM x10 VoLW Flamerx2 Champ with combi melta and melta bombs-185pts

The 2 plague marines are solid squads. I'm not sold on the CSM with flamers and a combi-melta. If they're there to hold back field objectives I'd go with 2 plasma guns and a combi-plasma. Scrap the VotLW.

Elite
Terminators x5 combi melta, Mon, Powerfist -247pts

Not sold on these guys. Too expensive for a termicide tank buster (deepstrike, pop a tank and thats that.) And too slow to start on the board and move up to where they need to be. I'd scrap them and put in another squad of 2 Obliterators.

Fast Attack
Bikers x3 MoN 2xMeltagun Champ Melta bomb- 113pts

If these guys are going with your Lord I'd be wanting more bikes. 4 Bikes SHOULD get shot to bits by everything on the field. If you're playing Tau, most of ther guns with need 4's/5's to wound, and they'll get a few digs at you on your way up.

Heldrake- baleflamer

Always love a flamerdrake.

Heavy Support

Cool. I run mine with 4 Autocannons to have 12 autocannon shots in the squad with a quad gun. Scrap the VotLW, preferred enemy only works in close combat and... to be fair... if these guys are in close combat, the games probably already over.

Obliterators x3 Mon 228

Squads of 3 are so expensive. Make it a squad of 2 and have 2 squads of them. I normally split them up so I have 2 oblits on either side of the board. Firing plasma cannons at infantry and Las/multi meltas at vehicles (depending on range) and alternate between shooting infantry/vehicles. Gives you the 2 or 3 best guns in the game at what they do best, from 2 sides of the board!

Total points 1849
Number of models 39 (not including aegis and cannon)

The bikers and biker lord move forward as fast as possible, targeting T3/4 blobs (hence Black Mace). However the Mace is only AP4; would the (cheaper) Buring Brand be a better option? Also 3 bikers seems a little small; do I need more?

The two PM units move forward to tackle midfield/midgame objectives (assuming the rhino survive long enough)and get the PM into range to disembark turn 2. The CSM are there to hold the backline and objectives as necessary. This only provides three scoring units though. Would two units of 20 cultists, one with a flamer be a better choice for the same price?

Terminators are a flexible unit that could deep strike from reserve if necessary.

Heldrake does its stuff; vector strike on flyers and baleflamer makes life hot for troops

Oblits provide necessary covering fire to Rhinos and bikers early on and targets anything that makes it through to midfield or beyond. One unit of 3 or two of 2 and 1?

Havocs- Debated long and hard about these guys. The quad cannon provides AA cover. The four lascannons provide a good chance against any armour within 48” and so the aegis cover would need careful placing. Should I be looking at another unit of 3 Oblits instead as this would free up points for an extra biker?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The list is good. I'd just drop Votl from everywhere and give the CSm squad 2 plasmaguns. With some remaning points, get another biker. that's it. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts

Heavy Support

Cool. I run mine with 4 Autocannons to have 12 autocannon shots in the squad with a quad gun. Scrap the VotLW, preferred enemy only works in close combat and... to be fair... if these guys are in close combat, the games probably already over.
Pref enemy works with shooting, that is why people LOVE "DRAZNICHT’S RAVAGERS" from crimson slaughter as you can arm up a chosen squad with 5 plasma guns and almost never kill themselves.
Quote from rulebook
A unit that contains at least one model with this special rule re-rolls failed To Hit and To Wound rolls of 1 if attacking its Preferred Enemy. This applies to both shooting and close combat attacks.

VotLW gives hatred though, not preferred enemy. So reroll all melee misses in 1st round of combat.
Though I do agree that autocannons are pure awesome

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd shift a couple of CSM from the 10 man troop squad over to the havoc squad. You'll have to lose a flamer but at least it gives some ablative wounds to the havocs. I think they're too tempting a target when you know the first kill is going to take out a lascannon or squad leader

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
any nurgle lord is sufficient.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Same goes for Khorne Lord and Berserkers, Slaanesh and Noise Marines. Tzeentch Sorcerer for Thousand Sons.
Remember it has to be a CHAOS LORD (or Sorc for Tzeentch), a Daemon Prince / WarpSmith or Apostle doesn't work.

As said above as well, only Typhus can give you zombies though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts