Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I played this list on Friday night with some great success. Looking for opinions on anything really.

HQ
-----

Farseer - jetbike, singing spear (w/ jetbike unit)

Spiritseer (w/ dire avengers x 5)

2 Warlocks - 1 jetbike, 2 spears
Troop
-------
Dire avengers x 5

Dire avengers x 8 - exarch,PW/Shimmershield
Wave Serpent - TL Scatter Lasers, holofields

Guardiansx10 - Brightlance

Jetbikes x 6 - 2 cannons

Fast
--------

Warp Spidersx8, exarch, TL DS

Heavy
--------
Wraithknight - Suncannon/SS, Scatter laser

Dark Reapersx3 - exarch, tempest launcher, fast shot

Fire Prism - holofields

Fortification
---------

Bastion - quad gun

This was at i Believe 1847pts.

Some things I would change is the dire avengers - I'd remove the unit of 5 (thought the unit ON TOP of bastion shoots quad gun, but its fired from the unit inside), so I'd either replace with rangers to sit on top and hold an objective, or a small JB unit.

I'd remove all upgrades from warp spiders - 16 BS4 shots was enough, didn't need 2 being BS5 TL - 25 pts for that is overkill imo.

That's really all I'd change right now. Wraithknight crushed a unit of marine bikes with a librarian in it (1 shot, whole unit dead). Dark Reapers ruined some scouts in deep cover, jetbike unit held their own, and the other troops were well out of harm.

The least effective item was Fire Prism. I feel like it SHOULD be good, and I was guiding it, took off some hullpoints but 1 shot doesnt seem to do the trick anymore.

SHould I run warwalkers instead of Fire Prism? may leave me with not enough high AV stuff.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I swear by my fire prism, maybe u just need another game or two

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
Hi all,

I played this list on Friday night with some great success. Looking for opinions on anything really.

HQ
-----

Spiritseer (w/ dire avengers x 5)

2 Warlocks - 1 jetbike, 2 spears
Troop
-------
Dire avengers x 5

Dire avengers x 8 - exarch,PW/Shimmershield

Guardiansx10 - Brightlance

Jetbikes x 6 - 2 cannons

Fast
--------

Warp Spidersx8, exarch, TL DS

Heavy
--------

Fire Prism - holofields

Fortification
---------

Bastion - quad gun

This was at i Believe 1847pts.

Some things I would change is the dire avengers - I'd remove the unit of 5 (thought the unit ON TOP of bastion shoots quad gun, but its fired from the unit inside), so I'd either replace with rangers to sit on top and hold an objective, or a small JB unit.

I'd remove all upgrades from warp spiders - 16 BS4 shots was enough, didn't need 2 being BS5 TL - 25 pts for that is overkill imo.

That's really all I'd change right now. Wraithknight crushed a unit of marine bikes with a librarian in it (1 shot, whole unit dead). Dark Reapers ruined some scouts in deep cover, jetbike unit held their own, and the other troops were well out of harm.

The least effective item was Fire Prism. I feel like it SHOULD be good, and I was guiding it, took off some hullpoints but 1 shot doesnt seem to do the trick anymore.

SHould I run warwalkers instead of Fire Prism? may leave me with not enough high AV stuff.
Before I make any suggestions on what you have lets take a look at a example.

What would you do against this list? To make it easy lets assume a KP game.

Riptide 210
Ion Accel, Smart Missile System, Interceptor, Skyfire
Commander 142
Missile Pod x2, Interceptor, Skyfire, Neuroweb jammer
Fire Warriors 54
Pulse Carbines
Devilfish 95
Smart Missile System, Disruption Pod, Burst Cannon
Skyray 100
Smart Missile System, Networked Marker Lights, Seeker Missiles x6

Wave Serpent 145
Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Fields
Wave Serpent 145
Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Fields
Wraithguard 160
Wraithcannons
Wraithguard 160
Wraithcannons
WindRider Jetbikes 61
Shuriken Cannon
WindRider Jetbikes 61
Shuriken Cannon
Spirit Seer 70 (Warlord)
Shard of Anaris
Fire Prism 140
Holo-Fields, Prism Cannon
Fire Prism 140
Fire Prism 140

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fair enough -I will struggle with this list against mech. I have some anti-tank, but not enough to deal with 7(if I'm reading it right) tanks. I have some spears, but other than that only FP and BL for direct anti-tank from range. (and quadgun). I've build a couple other variations of this list (some using WraithKnight bare), and replaced the dire avengers with another unit of Guardians.

Against this list, I would try to pop the serpents first obviously - unloading my S6 fire at them as well. Wraithguard would die in piles to the Suncannon (tho he would die just as easy to them). The jetbikes would be toast (re: Dark Reaper Exarch), and I'd have to really worry about the Riptide - I haven't faced one yet, so not sure of it's capabilities. All I know is every Tau army at the last local tournament (there were 7 Tau armies o_O) had 3 of them - homos.

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
Fair enough -I will struggle with this list against mech. I have some anti-tank, but not enough to deal with 7(if I'm reading it right) tanks. I have some spears, but other than that only FP and BL for direct anti-tank from range. (and quadgun). I've build a couple other variations of this list (some using WraithKnight bare), and replaced the dire avengers with another unit of Guardians.

Against this list, I would try to pop the serpents first obviously - unloading my S6 fire at them as well. Wraithguard would die in piles to the Suncannon (tho he would die just as easy to them). The jetbikes would be toast (re: Dark Reaper Exarch), and I'd have to really worry about the Riptide - I haven't faced one yet, so not sure of it's capabilities. All I know is every Tau army at the last local tournament (there were 7 Tau armies o_O) had 3 of them - homos.
Ha wow, 3 per list thats funny. everything you said makes sense, so with what you noticed what would you change to have a easier time besides with more Guardians?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's my current idea:

HQ
-----

3 Warlocks - 1 jetbike w/ spear
Troop
-------
Rangers x 5
2 Guardiansx10 - Brightlance
2 Wave Serpent - TL Scatter Lasers, cannon, holofields
Jetbikes x 6 - 2 cannons

Fast
--------
Warp Spidersx8

Heavy
--------
Fire Prism - holofields

Fortification
---------
Bastion - quad gun

puts me at 1789 - 61pts left - not sure if I need the Spiritseer anymore, since Rangers ontop of the Bastion don't need conceal for 2+ cover.

Considering this list does suffer from not enough antitank, and plenty of anti-infantry (wraithknight, dark reapers, wave serpents, and all other units with shur/deathspinners), do you think swapping the Fire Prism for 2 BL/BL Warwalkers w/ holofields would be a good idea? 4+ cover, 4 BLs, easier to kill than a fire prism, and shorter range, but way more anti-tank power. The flip side could be a Crimson Hunter - haven't bought it yet, so haven't thought too much about it.

·
Autarch of Heresy
886 Posts
Here's my current idea:

HQ
-----

Troop
-------
Rangers x 5
Jetbikes x 6 - 2 cannons

Fast
--------
Warp Spidersx8

Heavy
--------
Fire Prism - holofields

Fortification
---------
Bastion - quad gun

puts me at 1789 - 61pts left - not sure if I need the Spiritseer anymore, since Rangers ontop of the Bastion don't need conceal for 2+ cover.

Considering this list does suffer from not enough antitank, and plenty of anti-infantry (wraithknight, dark reapers, wave serpents, and all other units with shur/deathspinners), do you think swapping the Fire Prism for 2 BL/BL Warwalkers w/ holofields would be a good idea? 4+ cover, 4 BLs, easier to kill than a fire prism, and shorter range, but way more anti-tank power. The flip side could be a Crimson Hunter - haven't bought it yet, so haven't thought too much about it.
Sorry for the long reply, I've been busy with Fire Emblem :Awakening, Neverwinter and Mechwarrior Online.

-Farseer is fine, are you only taking 1 bike in the warlock squad? or did you mean 1 bike and 1 spear per guy?

Rangers x 5
Jetbikes x 6 - 2 cannons
-- Seems good, try one game with a large 20 man squad of guardians and 1 with only 2x10 and see the difference. I think you will like the 20 man unit.

Warp Spidersx8
-Perfect

Fire Prism - holofields
-Looks good, try one game with the Wraithknight using the ghost glaive and Scatter x2, let me know how it goes.

Bastion - quad gun

- For 61 points you can take one more jetbike squad with a cannon or you can turn that into another Warlock+bike+Spear.

Or take two more Warp Spiders.

As for the AT, try a Crimson Hunter, I think you will really like it. Or as a work around you can keep the Heavy Wraithcannons on the Knight and turn the Prism into some War Walkers with like Double Starcannons to make up for the loss of the Suncannon. That way someone cannot just remove your AT and it will last all game.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply Rage.

First, the warlocks go with Guardians, and jetbike squads. so 1 is on bike w/ spear, the others are bare.

I'll consider the unit of 20 - put one into a list I am going to use Eldrad in, but the loss of a second wave serpent makes me a sad panda. I guess I could just bring it as the Warp Spiders/Dark Reapers transport and not put them inside :)

Taking the extra jetbike unit is a good idea if I decide to take 1x20 Guardians instead of 3x10, so I still have 4 troops.

I'm definitely considering a Crimson Hunter, they seem awesome - though running one definitely changes how you play (at least against an enemy with fliers). You'd want to go second, as to not get ****ed by their flier the turn it comes on. The way this list currently plays definitely wants first turn - The suncannon and Fire Prism's blasts benefit the most from first turn - no jinks, no running into cover, etc. Plus then all my tanks have jink on them :).

I'm going to try out the Wraithknight with every loadout - glaive seems like a waste, other than for the 5+ invul - I'd rather pay 60pts for SL and Suncannon - way more firepower for 10 more points. I can't see people allowing a Wraithknight to get close enough to get into combat. Though I would consider running bare (2 wraithcannons), just seems scarier without the invul.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm going to try out the Wraithknight with every loadout - glaive seems like a waste, other than for the 5+ invul - I'd rather pay 60pts for SL and Suncannon - way more firepower for 10 more points. I can't see people allowing a Wraithknight to get close enough to get into combat. Though I would consider running bare (2 wraithcannons), just seems scarier without the invul.
I plan on gearing mine to run with my Harlequin theme, so the Glaive/shield combo fits within the melee-centric theme. Although I do plan on dropping the extra 40 points to go SL/StarC. Cost is slighty cheaper than the SL/SunC, still has some AP2 ranged punch and I like the re-roll from Master Crafting.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fair, WS4 is definitely the lackluster stat on the Wraithknight. If AP2 is what you're after, though, just skip the fancy TL and take 2 starcannons instead.

Starcannons
4 shots = 2.66 hits = 2.22 AP2 wounds.
ScatterLaser + Starcannon
SL - 4 shots = 2.66 hits = 2.22 AP6 wounds - translates to 0.37 wounds vs. 2+ AS
SC - 2 TL shots = 1.77 hits = 1.48 AP2 wounds (total 1.85 AP2 wounds)

Just some mathhammer for thought.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think you may have changed my mind...I like those numbers, my meta is very MEQ and TEQ heavy so AP is important. Plus that AP2 makes the Starcannon decent if it punches into a lightly armored vehicle.

At that rate the main bonus for the SL would be the possibility to TL against Flyers...although that is a desperation move mainly. On average the SL/StarC would get about 1-2 hits on a flyer and the twin StarC would get 0-1 hit...

Will have to test out both of the loadouts and see how it goes, but I think you are correct the twin StarC is the better option. The SL/StarC is more generalist though.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I was going to say the "all-rounder" would be SL SC - 7 shots , 3 being TL is more likely going to hit a flier, or if you are trying to play the numbers game with "volume of fire" 4 +3TL > 4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts