4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Formations found here.

CADIAN BATTLE GROUP
1850 points

Battle Group Command:
80 - CCS w/ lascannon

"Emperor's Shield" Infantry Company:

100 - CCS w/ 4x meltaguns (in a Vendetta)

230 - "Emperor's Shield" Infantry Platoon 1:
- PCS w/ 4x flamer (in a Vendetta)
- IS w/ flamer, autocannon
- Armored Sentinel w/ lascannon

230 - "Emperor's Shield" Infantry Platoon 2:

215 - "Emperor's Shield" Infantry Platoon 3:
- PCS w/ autocannon
- Armored Sentinel w/ autocannon

"Emperor's Spear" Aerial Company:

170 - Vendetta (carrying CCS)
170 - Vendetta (carrying PCS 1)
170 - Vendetta (carrying PCS 2)

"Emperor's Wrath" Artillery Company:

145 - CCS w/ Chimera, lascannon

65 - Wyvern
65 - Wyvern

170 - Manticore

40 - Engiseer

+++

Thoughts? 91 infantry, 10 tanks (3 of which flyers). A bit of a squeeze to fit in at 1850, so I didn't take quite as many special weapons in command squads as I'd wanted or larger Wyvern squads. Ah well, I only have 2 Wyverns in the first place...

Only thing I need to get for this list is a engiseer and 2 Vendettae. And maybe to count how many flamers I have (possibly swapping a few IS weapons for grenade launchers)

The only other formation I really have the minis for would be the psykana division (a legacy of my old Ld shenanigans from last codex--yay, 30 psykers!), though I wouldn't be opposed to getting a Punisher and an Executioner to have enough Russes for an Armored Company (too bad Kauyon lets some Tau units shoot at your rear armor no matter which facing they're really on! hahaaaaa).

Thoughts on the list and how to tweak it? I like how many bodies, lascannons and autocannons it brings, I like the late game objective grabbing potential of the Vendettae... it looks pretty lean to me, coming up against the bare minimums I have to field, but still could pack a decent punch. The free Scouring/kill points VPs from the Sentinels is regrettable, but they're still solid little guys.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
"Emperor's Shield" Infantry Company:
230 - "Emperor's Shield" Infantry Platoon 1:
Unless I'm reading the shield infantry platoon wrong, don't you need five infantry squads per platoon?

That would mean your nine squads off, and need to lose a minimum of 450 points to make this list legal.

And assuming I am, Emperors fist armoured battlegroup might be the way to go for the core and a single shield platoon in auxiliary alongside your Emperors spear. Sadly I don't think you'll have enough points to run the Emperors wrath in this list.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, yep. Missed that line. Uuuurgh need 150 guardsmen in IS alone to take that company. Looks like I might be going the Armored Company instead, taking a grand total of 5 Russes in it.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Five squads are indeed required, though only one Platoon per Formation.
Well, only one platoon per Emperor's Shield Infantry Platoon, but you need 3 Emperor's Shield Infantry Platoons to take one of the core Emperor's Shield Infantry Company--and you need a core choice in the CADIAN BATTLE GROUP. Formations within formations within forma--ok, detachments.

(italics and bolds just for reference to the layering on my list)

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
So just taking everything stock, a battle group command and shield company are going to run you 1065. Thats without any upgrades and only taking three scout sentinals with multi lasers.

Sure thats 3 walkers and 170 infantry, but its 3 multi lasers and about 170 lasguns. Anything with an armour value over 10 is going to laugh at this.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure thats 3 walkers and 170 infantry, but its 3 multi lasers and about 170 lasguns. Anything with an armour value over 10 is going to laugh at this.
Lots of 1s to reroll with that Sharpshooter bonus for the Cadian Battle Group. *sigh* I really don't have anywhere near that many infantry. Well, maybe if I field my traitor guard minis next to my death korps platoon, but there's something of a... fluffy disconnect, there.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Ah yes, sorry. I did mean per Emperor's Shield Formation.

So these are all Formations unto themselves, I could take Pask in a Battlegroup Command Formation alone at 500 points and be Battle Forged (though it wouldn't mean anything really since Formations retain Special Rules in Unbound armies)?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
True, I could run the list as is as "CAD, Aerial Company & Artillery Company." Would free me up to do some other things--maybe drop one CCS and platoon for other stuff, combine the sentinels into one squad, etc. Would lose out on Sharpshooters and three formations' worth of shenanigans around Orders, but get back ObSec.

Let's mock that up real quick:

100 - CCS w/ 4x meltaguns (in a Vendetta)

220 - Infantry Platoon 1:
- PCS w/ 3x flamer (in a Vendetta)
- SWS w/ 3x flamer

170 - Infantry Platoon 2:
- PCS w/ autocannon

135 - 3 Armored Sentinels with autocannons

"Emperor's Spear" Aerial Company:

170 - Vendetta (carrying CCS)
170 - Vendetta (carrying PCS)
170 - Vendetta (carrying SWS)

"Emperor's Wrath" Artillery Company:

145 - CCS w/ Chimera, lascannon (Warlord)
130 - 2x Wyverns
130 - 2x Wyverns

170 - Manticore

40 - Engiseer

That looks... like a pretty standard IG list, honestly. The orders to Artillery are new, and I can often drop my paratroopers without hovering, but otherwise...

Decided not to throw on some vox-casters to (very situationally) twin-link the Manticore, since the Wyverns already were & I'd have to drop a meltagun or autocannon or something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"Platoon" Minimum- 1 Platoon Command Squad and 2 IS (only available as Auxiliary Choice)

"Emperors Shield Platoon" Minimum - 1 Platoon Command Squad, 5 IS, 1 Sentinel (only available as auxiliary chice) {restrictions are must have 5 IS per platoon and no dedicated transport}

you are mixing up "Platoon" and "ES Platoon" I think.

Hopes this makes sense.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Platoon" Minimum- 1 Platoon Command Squad and 2 IS (only available as Auxiliary Choice)

"Emperors Shield Platoon" Minimum - 1 Platoon Command Squad, 5 IS, 1 Sentinel (only available as auxiliary chice) {restrictions are must have 5 IS per platoon and no dedicated transport}

you are mixing up "Platoon" and "ES Platoon" I think.

Hopes this makes sense.
Well, yes. People in the thread have pointed that line of the ESP to me. If you mean the latest list I posted, well, that one uses a standard CAD so takes typical platoons.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
CAD for life with Guard. My collection isn't big enough for the Mont'ka stuff, maybe I'll be able to touch on the super formation crap when a new Codex is released (signs pointing to early-mid 2016 at least).

The only thing I don't like about your list @Mossy Toes is that you have a CCS as a suicide melta squad. I totally get why you're doing it but it just seems a total waste of their Orders.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only thing I don't like about your list @Mossy Toes is that you have a CCS as a suicide melta squad. I totally get why you're doing it but it just seems a total waste of their Orders.
Yeah. Unfortunately, Vets don't fit in a Vendetta and I don't trust a SWS or PCS with meltas.

...I suppose I could flip the "Vendetta with flamer-squad in" trick for "Valkyrie with meltavets in," just swapping who is anti-Infantry and who is anti-tank. I could afford to take 1 Valk with 2 Vends in the Aerial COmpany, or something.

Well, plus I need to take 2 HQs (one a CCS) for the CAD and the artillery company, and you really aren't paying much base for a CSS, so I figured I might as well load up some BS4 meltas rather than take a Lord Commissar or something. The orders are basically just icing on the cake, and certainly not my Warlord.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Yeah, I don't have any smart ideas either on that.

Honestly though I think I'm gunna break apart my Vendetta and magnetize the Valkyrie options back on it. It makes it a lot less effective against other Fliers but I never face someone that really spams them, and I often wish I had something other than three lascannon shots after I pop the one or two highly armoured targets my opponent has. Now that I'm thinking on it, I feel like it might be worth it for me to try out meltaVets in a Valkyrie given my meta.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts