Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to buy a lot of models off a guy for really cheap so some of this army was already pre setup for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated though.

CCS- 67 pts
Bolt pistol
3 flamers

Chimera as transport- 75 pts
Dozer
Hk missle

1st platoon

PCS- 52 pts
Bolt pistol
4 flamers

1st squad- 55 pts
Flamer

2nd squad-55 pts
Flamer

3rd squad-55 pts
Flamer

4th squad-55 pts
Flamer

5th squad- 90 pts
Flamer
Commissar

All that will turn into a combined squad ^^^

Heavy weapons

1st squad- 60 pts
3 mortar teams

2nd squad- 75 pts
3 heavy bolter teams

3rd squad- 75 pts
3 autocannon teams

4th squad- 75 pts
3 autocannon teams

2nd platoon

PCS- 40 pts
2 flamers

1st squad- 55 pts
Flamer

2nd squad- 55 pts
Flamer

Heavy weapons

1st squad- 90 pts
3 missle teams

2nd squad- 115 pts
3 lascannon teams

Special weapons squad- 50 pts
3 flamers

Chimera as transport- 65 pts
Hk missle

Veterans- 100pts
3 meltas

Vendetta- 130 pts

Leman russ- 185
Lascannon
Heavy bolters

Leman russ- 170
Heavy bolters

Any input would be great!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Before I tear through your list like a Bezerker through guardsmen... Let me just ask "how much tournament like do you want your list to be?" And "what kind of tournaments do you go to and what meta do you meet?"

Because right now... It's on the other end of "competitive".

Are you in love with flamers or something? ;)

HQ- CCS: "hide and order" @ 60pts
HQ- Commissars are yesteryear! Inquisitor allies now give Ld10 stubborn!
HQ- Psykers, take two (ML2) @ 150pts
TR- PCS: take 3 or 4 flamers, even a heavy if you have the points. (Buy them a Vendetta!)
TR- Unless you're up to some CC masterplan, dont put more than 3 squads into a blob. Flamers are fun for overwatch, but I'd take the heavy weapons. Order them, prescience them, kill armour!
TR- HWT's are easy (t3) targets with ld7 "run away guarantee". Put those weapons in blobs and they become much more resilient and efficient.
FA- "One vendetta is no vendetta!" You need two vendetta's. Really. Really!
HS- Sorry to say, but the vanilla Russ is the worst option. Too general, nothing really good. I'd convert them into punishers and run them with Pask as a HQ. More dakka than a mob of flash gits!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would like to point out, that although inquisitors give better Ld, they don't have the rule for executing guardsmen, so even though with ld 10 stubborn it's unlikely, they still can fail the morale check and flee from combat, so I would most likely chose priests for blobs, if I played competitive. Inquisitors are great, if you upgrade them to psykers, but naked they are quite redundant to what guard already has.

Also I would not discard that easily standard Leman Russ. Sure it's not that powerful as a punisher, but it has way better range, so it does not get exposed as easily to unwanted multi meltas, centurions and other nasty stuff like that. Also let's not forget, that Pask makes your punisher damn expensive.

With that being said, I still am not a big fan of vanilla leman russes either, but for the reason that a basilisk can do the same job for cheaper and is barrage.

I don't know why exactly you need two vendettas instead of one. That sounds completely arbitrary.

I agree on the rest. I think this list has way too many flamers and as unfortunate as it is, heavy weapon teams are really not viable. Too many S6 weapons out there to instant kill them and make them flee. They really need to hide in blobs.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Before I tear through your list like a Bezerker through guardsmen...
This made me laugh. Just some general questions as I'm pretty damn new to playing Guard:

Psykers, take two (ML2) @ 150pts
Outside of a tournament setting, is it really worth the 50 points spent on an extra power per turn?

Flamers are fun for overwatch, but I'd take the heavy weapons.
I would wager flamers are pretty damn useful against smaller squads on the charge. I once took down a SM Captain with 2x Flamer and 2x Hand Flamer templates on Overwatch because he was out front of the squad when the dice started rolling, and lots of times I have denied a stretched out squad their assault range by flame-overwatching their lead model to a charred corpse.

"One vendetta is no vendetta!" You need two vendetta's. Really. Really!
Maybe I don't understand competition or maybe I like challenging myself with limited resources, but I habitually play a lone Vendetta against two Heldrakes and a FMC and come out pretty whole. She doesn't always make it through, but at least one of those Drakes are going down and her cargo typically ends up where it needs to be (barring unfortunate scatter rolls of course).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Beforehand: Dudes, I play top-tier tournaments and want to rank top5 in those. Everything I do with, or take in, my lists is to win battles. (Kill the enemy outright, claim objectives, whatever the mission takes.) Just keep that in mind when I value a unit/model/tactic.

@ keen4e

The "one is none, and two is one" is actually a real life survival axiom. If you take 1 knife, figures it'll brake when most needed. Take a back up to prevent death. (In aviation everything actually even works with "tripple redundancy".) It explains as follows: If you take one vendetta. All enemy AA will focus on that lone detta, and probably kill it. If you take two, enemy AA will have double the challenge of killing your detta's. They might even make a mistake and shoot at both, not killing one. I used to play 3 detta's standard... (tripple redundancy) Enemy units (night scythes, riptides or sky rays) always took out one right away, but the other two did their jobs killing sh!t and also delivered their claiming payloads.

If your meta doesn't have a lot of AA... you can take less, but against enemies without AA flyers rule the battlefield so more will hurt them more.

Your comment on the (fearless) priest in addition to the Ld10 (stubborn) ML1 psyker Inquisitor is a good one. But don't forget fleeing a combat with Guard is not always a bad thing. (Running of table is, but leave 12" and you'll recover with normal tests or "get back in the fight". Priests also just boost a blobs damage output in CC at insane low cost. I already altered my list to incorporate a priest.

@ ntaw

Psykers: I don't know anything about "outside tournament setting", that's just completely allien to me. :grin: I think psychics are what sets top-tier armies apart from "nice" armies. Especially the "divination" powers are just insane as "force multipliers". re-roll to hit (shooting and combat), 4++, re-roll enemy saves, ignore cover... Having 3 psykers handing out those buffs really improves your odds against everything (especially those hated 2++ deathstars will suffer from "misfortune"). If you don't want it for friendly games, don't take it. Your call.

Flamer overwatch: I don't play anything that suffers from 3d3 S4AP5 hits on it's charge. Really, on average against Meq this will result in 5 hits, 3 wounds, 1 kill. But I face ScreamerStars, 15+hound squads, Daemon/Tyranid flying circus'... they don't care about those flamers and they sure won't miss charge range because of losing 1 or 2 models/wounds. Small squads charging a blob squad will hurt from normale overwatch and massed return CC.

Vendetta's: "One is none, two is one." See above. I do this with all my armies. 2 manticores, 2 detta's, 2 blob squads, etc. If you present the enemy with one "really good unit" they'll obviously target it, and hurt it, maybe kill it. If you have a back up... haha! Take that! :so_happy:

This is the achilles heel in some deathstar lists. If you can isolate their ONE (1000pts+) deathstar with a cheap (fearless) unit or feeding it multiple small units, and focus on the rest of the army. You may win on claiming.

(I don't even want to show you my TauDar army... Triplicates all around.)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If you don't want it for friendly games, don't take it. Your call.
More just curious as to your 'why' over whether or not it's entering my games. Your advice for list making sounds a bit too much like a sales pitch from a GW employee when you make comments like "one is none, two is one" for my tastes, though the thread title does say 'tournament list' so I guess it's warranted.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Your advice for list making sounds a bit too much like a sales pitch from a GW employee when you make comments like "one is none, two is one" for my tastes.
Hahahaha, that really brings a smile to my face. :grin:

The reason for taking something "twice of thrice" is that if you bring something really good (and cost effective) to a game, your opponent will want to kill it. With an entire army focussing on that one unit... charges are it will go down. Take it twice and you'll probably have one left on your own turn.

Just think of one Knight heading your way in a game. You'll probably figure out a way to kill it with all your good AT weapons and feeding it one or two squads to slow it down. Now imagine two knights walking your way at the same time. It's a completely different problem altogether.

Just yesterday I played a pre-tournament test battle against a friend. I brought my TauDar and he brought his DaemonFlyingCircus. He brings 5 MC's, 4 of which are flying MC's, 3 of which are shrouded/stealth nurgle princes... My Tau army is the worst he can face with 4x skyfire, but with enough terrain, I can't do sh!t before he starts hacking away. Sure, I'll kill one DP, maybe two... that leaves two that will tear trough my army unstoppable.

@ informationsniper

Did you find the advice usefull? Any adjustments you'll try and make?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Keep bringing the tanks those work well. But you probably dont need the flamers unless you are fighting orks or nids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts