Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1850 Thousand Sons list

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Quadlark 
Looks like a fun list.

Some thoughts:

Checking out your Terminators, I'm only getting 188 points based on the unit/upgrades you listed. I prefer 3 with combi-meltas and no other upgrades, myself.

You could use a unit of cultists or two, in my opinion, Just some cheap bodies held in reserve to score/contest the home objectives or tarpit something in your deployment zone for a turn or 2. This way you're not wasting the firepower of a unit of Thousand Sons by holding them back on your home objective(s). Take them with a Crimson Slaughter detachment (HQ below) so they automatically cause Fear tests in close combat. Never know, better than not having fear.

Two defilers means two S8 AP3 blasts per turn, which combined with the Heldrake's baleflamer and all that bolter fire means you can deal with troops pretty well.

I'm not totally sold on the unit of Havocs with only 2 lascannons. I prefer to spend the points and take 4, myself. VotLW won't really help, either.

If you lose the unit of 6 Thousand Sons, you can add 2 units of 10 cultists, add 2 lascannons to the havoc squad and add 2 havocs to put in front of the lascannons to give you ablative wounds. You lose a few bolter shots but make up for it with more significant anti-armor. The cultists could also make a nice sacrifice for summoning Heralds, if you roll Daemonology with Ahriman. Hopefully you get Doombolt, because spamming that spell sounds like tons of fun, especially if you get nice and close. Ahriman blasts whoever he wants, and the Thousand Suns rapid-fire the hell out of something. Plus your Sorcs could also roll Doombolt.

With some modifications, here's your list as I'd like to use it. Allied with a Crimson Slaughter detachment.

HQ:

Ahriman (Warlord, primary detachment)
Crimson Slaughter Sorcerer: Mastery Level 3, Sigil of Corruption, Balestar of Mannon

TROOPS:

Thousand Sons x9: Rhino <== joined by Ahriman
Thousand Sons x9: Rhino
Crimson Slaughter Cultists: x10
Crimson Slaughter Cultists: x10

FAST ATTACK:

Heldrake w/ Baleflamer

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Havocs x6: 4x Lascannons <== joined by Sorcerer
Defiler
Defiler

That Sorcerer is going to make those Havocs into absolute monsters. Twin-linked, cover-ignoring (ideally) lascannons are pretty ridiculous. I'd make sure to pull those powers off, and then spend the rest Doombolting shit with Ahriman. Might be best to just use the Aspiring Sorcs as warp charge batteries and pull off the better powers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.