Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just playing with an idea last nite all nite, seems like it'll be fun to play, here goes:

Logan Grimnar-275
Rune Priest-runic armour, chooser of the slain-130

troops

5 WG terminators-cyclone missile launcher, chainfist, drop pod-245
5 WG terminators-cyclone missele launcher, chainfist, drop pod-245
9 Grey Hunters-melta, fist, wolf standard, rhino-210
9 Grey Hunters-melta, fist, wolf standard, rhino-210
3 WG-2x combi melta, 2x frost blade-104

fast attack

4x Thunderwolves-th ss-255

heavy support

5x long fangs-4x multimelta-drop pod-160

logan slams down w priest fangs and random wg guy, wipes 2 tanks out and priest unloads power...thunderwolves run towards enemy, rhinos advance w grey hunters who are too damn good to not take...another pod full of wg termies comes down, hopefully target priority is hell at this point and the two fronts works out..considering swapping out the rhinos for two pods so both terminator squads come down first turn, but most players i play deny the drop pod armies by holding everything in reserve sooo any thoughts, criticism welcome

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
I think your points in the thunderwolf cavalry is off because four of them all with TH SS will cost 440 and four with one TH SS will be 260. Either way I would think of diversifying their wargear to take advantage of wound allocation. Maybe something like this.

Thunderwolf Cavalryx4
- power fistx1
- thunder hammerx1
- power weaponx1
- SSx1
Total: 300 points

This may not be the optimal set up but you get the point right. Just make them each unique.

Also if you wanted the longs fangs and both WG termie groups to come down first turn then you could switch up some stuff like so. Drop the Rune Priest and three regular WG to free up 234 points. Then buy a 5 grey hunter pack with meltagun and pod for 115 and do that twice and voila. You have two pods that can come down to grab objectives later and three pods of longs fangs and termies to kick ass now. I don't know what your total is but that leaves you with another four extra points btw.

Oh and if your friends try to throw everything in reserve then when your pods come down, the next turn just spread out your units as far as you can across his table edge and deny him entry. That'll put an end to that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thunderwolf Cavalryx4
- power fistx1
- thunder hammerx1
- power weaponx1
- SSx1
Total: 300 points
this would be wonderful but you can't have that load out, only one can have a thunder hammer/fist/power weapon/frost blade. but your point was more to make them able to cheese out wound allocation which is more like this

4x cav
fist
bolter
melta bombs

you can add a storm shield or switch the bolter or melta bombs for it. this way you have 4 unique units for wound allocation. also if you don't have the TWC i just went to a few toy stores and found some cheap and wonderful thunderwolves. like $8 USD. they have a stupid fairy mount but she isn't attached. check your local toy stores for wolves, you should find something useful.

Oh and if your friends try to throw everything in reserve then when your pods come down, the next turn just spread out your units as far as you can across his table edge and deny him entry. That'll put an end to that.
i had the same thought but it doesn't always work, only against some foot slogging armies. tanks can tank shock onto the board, or so im told.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Ah yes thanks Trueclaw. I never field TWC myself because I lack the initiative to build / buy them so I'm rather hazy on their rules and just picked up my codex to have a peek when I said that. But yes the bottom line of what I tried to say was make them unique.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ah yes thanks Trueclaw. I never field TWC myself because I lack the initiative to build / buy them so I'm rather hazy on their rules and just picked up my codex to have a peek when I said that. But yes the bottom line of what I tried to say was make them unique.
i haven't built any either, i use my friends ATM. I went to toys r us and saw something i can use for like $8 USD. it was a fairy or something riding a pretty cool looking wolf. I wouldn't want 6 of them like that but it will do for my wolf lord. the fairy wasn't attached either. I'd say go look at some toy stores. i thought more people would look at me weird but i guess they figured i had a kid or something.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I would throw in a storm shield into that mix to increase survivability. If you want REAL TWC you go Mr.Dandy. Here is the link.http://www.mrdandy.com/wargamma-battle-wolves/

EDIT: Just a heads up.... it ain't cheep.
still cheaper that using the GW, which is ugly, IMO.

sorry to get off topic....

i'd think you need to bulk up your Troops; i mean, do you really need that RP?

personally, i'd go for more WG in power armor with upgrades to bulk out your army.

good hunting.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i like the survivability of the terminators over the power armoured counterparts altho in my area the tournament scene is heavy tervigone nids so i need to get more firepower in there, twolves can wreck the tervigones, but the lists w 3 trygons and doom are what im worried about

1 - 8 of 8 Posts