Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had said that I couldn't make up my mind with the Gladius detachment using razorbacks if I wanted to use White Scars TLAC razors or Iron Hands Las/Plas razors... after reading into the IH chapter tactics, the way it's written now Machine Empathy only works on models with Chapter Tactics (ie Dreadnoughts). So bring in the Scars! Still not sold on TLAC over Las/Plas, but maybe someone has some insight for me.

Gladius Detachment

Demi #1:
150 Khan (Moonbike)
240 5x Command (Bikes, Apoth, 4x SS, 4x LC)
100 5x Tac (Melta, TLAC Razor)
100 5x Assault (2x Flamer, TLAC Razor)
210 5x Dev (4x Grav, DP)

Demi #2:
115 Chaplain (Bike, Auspex)
210 5x Dev (4x Grav, DP)
125 Dreadnought (TLLC, HF, DP)

=1850

Khan gives scouts so my assault cannons are nicely in range or the squads with obsec are snagging objectives (all of the units are obsec!) and all the rerolls! Tactical Doctrine can be used twice per game making those meltas and boltguns twin-linked and the rest of the army rerolls 1's, the Devastator Doctrine lets those grav cannons pretend to be twin-linked one turn, the chaplain is rerolling for the bikes and the Lightnight Claws are rerolling the wounds! Have I ever mentioned that I love rerolls?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. Pray the rerolls work.

But now, I leave the OP and go ahead and admit my own stupidity. I HAVE to bring another formation, not just two Battle Demi-Companies. Luckily I caught this myself... but it shows I proof read about as good as GW. I could take the Anti-Air Defence Force, but currently, fixing one problem at a time, am putting in the Suppression Force.

Gladius

Demi #1:
125 Khan
195 5x Command (Apoth, 4x Plasmagun, 1x SS, TLAC Razor)
230 5x Dev (4x Gravcannon, TLAC Razor)

Demi #2:
90 Chaplain

Suppression Force:
50 Landspeeder (2x HF)
130 2x Whirlwind

=1850

I also put my devs in razorbacks. DPs are cool, but their Razors will still scout.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The anti-air defence would look like such.

Gladius

Demi #1:
125 Khan
155 5x Command (3x Plasmagun, TLAC Razor)

Demi #2:
90 Chaplain

Anti-Air Defence:
70 Hunter
150 2x Stalker

=1850

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Still not sold on TLAC over Las/Plas, but maybe someone has some insight for me.
I'd take the las/plas every day of the week. ACs are cool and nice, but I find that the only place I really enjoy them is on top of a Baal Predator...and even then it's seeing the table less and less.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
honestly with all those rerolling assault cannons anti air is covered, uness facing flying circus.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even then, it's got 20+ obsec units on the board. Ignore the fliers and just keep racking up points. And I do agree with ntaw, I'm thinking las/plas has it. I'm going to be testing and tweaking this a bit. Maybe try some BT chapter tactics, fit in some dreadnoughts and such. I've got a BT version with the command squad in a pod, two podded ironclads, the suppression force, and missiles on the devs. I might try that version out with white scars tactics too. Just not sure how to squeeze Khan in there pointswise.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Getting close to perfect.

Gladius

Demi #1:
125 Khan
90 5x Command (DP)
100 5x Tac (Melta, Las/Plas Razor)
100 5x Assault (2x Flamer, Las/Plas Razor)
150 5x Dev (4x ML, Las/Plas Razor)
135 Ven Dread (HF, MM, DP)

Demi #2:
90 Chaplain
100 5x Assault (2x Flamer, Las/Plas Razor)
150 5x Dev (4x ML, Las/Plas Razor)
135 Ven Dread (HF, MM, DP)

Suppression Force:
45 Landspeeder
130 2x Whirlwind

=1850

That gives me 655 points in free models. Whirlwinds, Frag Missiles, and some flame templates to handle hordes, tons of scouting/podding melta to handle those Imperial Knights, lots of las/plas for dealing with bikes, terminators and MCs, and 11 obsec units with obsec transports to overrun objectives and outpace heavy flyer lists.

What I don't like is that the command squad is bare. But points got tight and I needed the thrid pod for my venerable alpha strike. It's better than nothing and it does give my HQs a way to hide in reserve. If they were to chill in a razorback that'd give my opponent a starting point in target priority.

I wanted Ironclads. In my black templar version they are, but again, I needed points to bring Khan for that sweet sweet armywide scout. Those HFs are vital. Xenos tend to hide in cover or open topped vehicles and since scouts got better I'm sure I'll be seeing more 4+ save marines with awesome cover saves. Ven Dreads aren't a terrible substitute since those combat doctrines all let them reroll 1's and that's the only way they miss with their meltas. I think they still work as a distraction that'll keep my massed razorbacks fairly safe.

The missiles launchers seem to be a tad overkill, but they should be good at finishing up units that others have already shot at. They'll also be good at adding wounds to MEQ units.

Anybody else see anything that's just out of place or all around non-competitive about the list?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts