Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I want do use this list for tournaments and I have to buy the most of the staff. Before I will buy that I will ask for your C&C.

HQ:
Librarian
Null zone
Vortex of doom

Elite:
Dreadnought with 2x TLAC

Dreadnought with 2x TLAC

5x Sternguard with 2 PC mounted in a Rhino

Troops:
10 Tacticals with LC, PG, Combi-PG and a Razorback with TLLC

10 Tacticals with LC, MG, Combi-MG and a Razorback with TLLC

10 Tacticals with HB, Flamer, Combi-MG and a Razorback with TLLC

Fast Attack:
2x LS Typhoon with HB
1x LS Typhoon with HB

Heavy Support:
Predator with AC and LC sponsons

Predator with TLLC and HB sponsons

Thanks for reading.
Regards
Maxamato

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok that's a nice idea, but it has a few floors.

Libby and Dreadnoughts are good imo.

The five Sternguard have 2 Plasma Cannons? In a Rhino? What is their purpose. I find they work best with Combi-Meltas and Drop Pods, but thats just me. Also, why give 5 men a rhino? Why not give them a Razorback aswell?

Tactical squads seem awfully varied. Maybe that is to do with your play style, but that never works for me, but each to his own. Razorbacks should never have Twin Linked Lascannon. Always give them a Twin Linked Plasma Gun and Lascannon. Much more effective and versitile.

Landspeeders should never be in squads of one. They don't get the squadron rule and they are the easyest killpoint ever. Even a bolter can kill one. I would suggest making a squad of 3 or 2 squads of 2, if you have the points.

WOAH! What's going on with the Preds? Why mix the wepons? Make one have Lascannons and the other have an Autocannon and Heavy Bolters.

Good luck with the list! See what you can come up with.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The five Sternguard have 2 Plasma Cannons? In a Rhino? What is their purpose. I find they work best with Combi-Meltas and Drop Pods, but thats just me. Also, why give 5 men a rhino? Why not give them a Razorback aswell?
They have a rhino so they can shoot their plasma cannons out the top which they couldn't do in a razorback. while I like sternguard for midfield control better then anything else this isn't a terrible way to use them, though i think dev's could prbably do the same thing for cheaper.

Landspeeders should never be in squads of one. They don't get the squadron rule and they are the easyest killpoint ever. Even a bolter can kill one. I would suggest making a squad of 3 or 2 squads of 2, if you have the points.
Never ever pan your list around kill points, it only applies in 1/3 of missions and generally winning the battle will let you win the game in kill points missions with some rare exceptions. i would suggest splitting them up as much as possible so you can shoot multiple targets and don't loose more then 1 when your opponent shoots them, they may not have enough anti tank guns to deal with all of them.

Hi All!

I want do use this list for tournaments and I have to buy the most of the staff. Before I will buy that I will ask for your C&C.

HQ:
Librarian
Null zone
Vortex of doom

Elite:
Dreadnought with 2x TLAC

Dreadnought with 2x TLAC
{/quote]

Well done
Considering how light your army is on meltas you could do better taking these for expendable midfield meltas. If youwant 2 plasma cannons out of a rhino two devs do that better.

Troops:

10 Tacticals with LC, MG, Combi-MG and a Razorback with TLLC

10 Tacticals with HB, Flamer, Combi-MG and a Razorback with TLLC
If you want to do razorback spam drop them to 5 man squads and take las/plas razorbacks, if you want midfield bunkers take squads with MM meltaguns flamers or combi melta flamers in rhinos. You've kind of combine both so neither of them function as efficiently as possible.

Fast Attack:
2x LS Typhoon with HB
1x LS Typhoon with HB
Your army lacks the fast melta on expendable units to be sucessful, see if you can't find the points to make one of these MM/HF

Heavy Support:

The Second one should either be AC and HB sponsons or AC and las sponsons. TLLC and HB is don't work together well.

Biggest issues for you is lack of fast expendable melta, try speeders or IST's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All!

Thanks for your feedback.

Tactical squads seem awfully varied.
Why?

Razorbacks should never have Twin Linked Lascannon. Always give them a Twin Linked Plasma Gun and Lascannon. Much more effective and versitile.
TLLC has the benefit that I will hit anything. :) And the next issue with the LC TLPG version is that no model exists and my conversation skill are bad. So it is no option for me at the moment.

WOAH! What's going on with the Preds? Why mix the wepons? Make one have Lascannons and the other have an Autocannon and Heavy Bolters.
The reasons for that are:
AC LC sponsons is good all round tank and good against any MC, light vehicle etc.
TLLC HB sponson is a more expensive version of the dakka pred but I can use him against any heavy vehicles also.
The next points are I split the risk of loosing a key weapon (in this case the LC's) and I give more targets for the opponent because the thread potential of the two preds are very similar.

Good luck with the list! See what you can come up with.
Thanks. :)

They have a rhino so they can shoot their plasma cannons out the top which they couldn't do in a razorback. while I like sternguard for midfield control better then anything else this isn't a terrible way to use them, though i think dev's could prbably do the same thing for cheaper.
Yes that's right about sternguard but the idea of using a Dev squad will be a good one. Thanks for the hint.

TLLC and HB is don't work together well.
Nope, this build works very well. That will be a dakka pred with an AV ability (he has one shot less as the original dakka pred).

Biggest issues for you is lack of fast expendable melta, try speeders or IST's.
What is “IST”?
However, I don't like melta very much because you have to be very near to the enemy's units to get full advantage. Most of the time, if I had used LS with MM they get lost from the return fire.

I think I will adapted my list a bit and will post it later here.

Regards
Maxamato

·
Registered
281 Posts
IST is Inquisitorial Storm Trooper. They're usually run in a rhino w/ 2 meltas for expendable raider blocking and destruction. Pretty cheap for their points.

Anyways, the twin-las and heavy bolter pred is interesting. But, all it does is make your opponents target priority easier. And it also makes your predator more expensive just for that one lascannon shot which isn't even needed when your list has 7 others.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi All!

What is “IST”?
However, I don't like melta very much because you have to be very near to the enemy's units to get full advantage. Most of the time, if I had used LS with MM they get lost from the return fire.

I think I will adapted my list a bit and will post it later here.

Regards
Maxamato

Melta is how you kill high av backfield units and landraiders as well as any tank you really need dead. Sure they're close range which is why you take them on small suicidal squads like landspeeders and IST's. They force your opponent to deal with them early and give you a reliable way to kill tanks, lascannons just aren't enough. In addition every speeder they shoot at is another unit that is allowing your rhino's to get into position.

Melta is an essential part of how 5th edition is played, with the new vehicle damage chart AP1 is essential if you want to reliably kill tanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you're going to buy a TLLC pred, either get the sponson lascannons, or leave it with just the turret gun and save yourself the points. If it's heavy bolters you want, there are cheaper ways to get em.
I'm gonna be the odd man out and say I actually like the AC/LC pred. Autocannons are top notch for fighting transports, and you can use the sponsons to take on bigger vehicles.
I don't like buying any upgrades for Sternguard except combi-guns, because it seems to defeat the purpose of paying the cost of premium troopers.
Vortex isn't the greatest power to take with a Libby. It is, however, both fun and hilarious, so I say go for it.
Are you using combat squads for your Tacticals? If not, they're gonna have a hard time reaching objectives.
I love land speeder typhoons, but I prefer MM/HF or MM/MM speeders, myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All!

Thanks to all for your feedback!

IST is Inquisitorial Storm Trooper.
Thanks for the clarification.

Anyways, the twin-las and heavy bolter pred is interesting. But, all it does is make your opponents target priority easier.
Why do you think that? The target priority wouldn't be easier for the opponent because it is more difficult for him to decide which one is the biggest threat. That's my point of view but probably you will prove me wrong and I miss something.

This pred build has helped me a lot because it gives me the possibilty to engage AV (quite easy) and I'm able to deal with hordes too. Yes he is a bit more expensive as the other combipred.

Melta is how you kill high av backfield units and landraiders as well as any tank you really need dead. Sure they're close range which is why you take them on small suicidal squads like landspeeders and IST's. They force your opponent to deal with them early and give you a reliable way to kill tanks, lascannons just aren't enough. In addition every speeder they shoot at is another unit that is allowing your rhino's to get into position.

Melta is an essential part of how 5th edition is played, with the new vehicle damage chart AP1 is essential if you want to reliably kill tanks.
Hmm.., I agree and disagree. Meltas will help you to open AV very easily. But you need be very near to him and most of the time they will probably don't reach the target because the opponent shoots at first against them i.e. one squadron of 2 MM AB will get a higher target priority for the opponent. I think that I have enough long range AV fire power to pop any LR. This list includes 8 LC's and 6 of them are twin-linked.

If you're going to buy a TLLC pred, either get the sponson lascannons, or leave it with just the turret gun and save yourself the points. If it's heavy bolters you want, there are cheaper ways to get em.
I want both :)
The problem with the Tri-Las pred is IMO that he is the first casualty and he his very expensive.

Vortex isn't the greatest power to take with a Libby. It is, however, both fun and hilarious, so I say go for it.
I have given him the Vortex because it gives me a Str.10 AP1 small blast which could be helpful against DS-ing Monoliths, Termis or some Nids. But I'm not sure it is worthwhile. Which powers do you suggest?

Are you using combat squads for your Tacticals? If not, they're gonna have a hard time reaching objectives.
It depends form the mission. In KP mission no, in 3+ objectives games probably yes.

However, here is my revised list. The changes are minor one:
HQ:
Librarian
Null zone
Vortex of doom
Probably you will suggest a better power combo here which one will support my list better.

Elite:
Dreadnought with 2x TLAC

Dreadnought with 2x TLAC

Troops:

10 Tacticals with LC, PG, Combi-MG and a Razorback with TLLC

10 Tacticals with ML, Flamer, Combi-MG and a Razorback with TLLC

Fast Attack:
2x LS Typhoon with HB
1x LS Typhoon with HB

Heavy Support:

5x Devs with 2 PC mounted in a Rhino

Thanks again for reading it and any C&C will be helpful!

Regards
Maxamato

1 - 8 of 8 Posts