Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Been thinking of creating a contrasting force to my Dark Angels force, I really love the look and modelling opportunities that the Night Lords would present. I also have decided that I would base the force around the concept of being able to quickly redeploy my force on the battlefield.

HQ: Sorceror – 225 pts
ML3, Bike, Daemonheart, Balestar of Mannon, The Slaughterers Horns, Sigil of Corruption

Troop: 10 Chaos Space Marines -210 pts
2x Plasma
Rhino, Dirge Caster

Troop: 10 Chaos Space Marines -210 pts
2x Plasma
Rhino, Dirge Caster

Fast Attack: 10 Chaos Bikes – 245 pts
2x Meltagun, Lightning Claw

Fast Attack: 15 Raptors – 345 pts
Mark of Khorne, Icon of Wrath, 2x Meltagun, Lightning Claw

Fast Attack: 15 Raptors – 345 pts
Mark of Khorne, Icon of Wrath, 2x Meltagun, Lightning Claw

Heavy Support: Vindicator – 135 pts
Siege Shield, Combi Bolter

Heavy Support: Vindicator – 135 pts

·
Registered
533 Posts
The FOC must be pretty annoying for you as far as fast attack slots go. I'd be looking to get an extra detachment of some kind to give you an extra FA slot- maybe ally with CSM by trimming raptors/bikes for a cheap (bike?) lord.

You can easily take care of the required troop choice by reducing the two units of ten marines to three units of five. I made a similar post yesterday, but you could take

5 CSM with plasma gun, rhino with havoc launcher
5 CSM with plasma gun, rhino with havoc launcher
5 Havocs with 2 melta guns, rhino

For slightly fewer points than you're now paying for the two CSM units. Obviously if you wanted an extra ally detachment the havoc squad can lose a melta and be a troop choice

I'm not keen on dirge casters but I can understand you taking them.

Love the theme anyway. You'll be taking NL heads and shoulder pads for everything, yea?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I would rather have 30 Bikers than 10 Bikers and 30 Raptors (Honestly I'd rather have 6 squads of 5 bikers, but... yeah, no go unless you want to grab a second CAD). If I can quote the tactica I wrote a while back...

What makes Bikers so much better than Raptors? Well, how about we take those Raptors, give them twin-linked bolters in addition to their CCW+BP, as well as Relentless so they can shoot it and still charge. Make it so that even if they move 12" during their movement phase, they still basically ignore difficult terrain when charging (ok, dangerous) and still get Hammer of Wrath. Give them the option of going another 12" turbo-boost during the shooting phase, rather than a paltry D6" run roll. Oh, and did I mention that the Bikers can jink for a 4+ cover save? Yeah, there is that. They still get 2 special weapons in a (smaller, cheaper) minimum squad size. They still have assault grenades. Not to mention, oh yeah, the fact that Bikers also automatically get +1 Toughness!

The downsides? They can no longer deep strike (though they still have a 43" average charge radius by turn 2 from where they start [with 24" T1 and 12"+7" average charge T2]). They have to take dangerous terrain tests when moving through difficult terrain, rather than ignoring it (though, this edition, power-armored soldiers can pretty much laugh at dangerous terrain tests). Jink saves make them snap fire, though they are rerolling to hit with those of them that still have combi-bolters—and usually, I find they live longer in melee than getting shot at, so it's worth jinking to keep them alive while they close the distance.

I daresay that incredible upgrade is worth shelling out a few miserly handfuls of points.
There's no reason you can't mark those Khornate with an IoW for better charge ranges and give their squad leaders lightning claws and meltabombs, too... or MoS with IoE to strike before most enemies (so taking less damage back) and FNP, to take fewer wounds. Or just plain MoN for a bunch of T6 bodies (or T5, if you insist on sticking to the Raptors).

The meltabombs on a squad leader are pretty important, in case you run up against something big and tough--you don't want your several-hundred point squad helpless against an AV13 Soul Grinder, Knight, Ironclad Dread... or something in that vein.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Squire, thank you for your feedback I like the idea of smaller Troop choices for not much reduction in survivability plus three small units does then give me another hull to protect my Raptors with. I'm not really sure what another Fast Attack slot would actually provide me as apart from Warp Talons there is not that much in the section that I want to take (I know its probably the best slot in the FOC)

@Mossy Toes, I know that Raptors are not the most effective unit for the point cost but to me they are probably the most Iconic unit when I think of the Night Lords, plus it seems that I am leaning towards creating a Raptor Cult so cannot really replace all the Raptors with Bikes. I have however tweaked the list to gain some more protection for the Raptors as well as another Character

Lord - 185 pts
Bike, Blade of the Relentless, Daemonheart, Sigil of Corruption, The Slaughterers Horns

Sorcerer - 180 pts
ML3, Bike, Sigil of Corruption, Balestar of Mannon

5 CSM - 125 pts
Plasmagun
Rhino

5 CSM - 125 pts
Plasmagun
Rhino

5 CSM - 125 pts
Plasmagun
Rhino

5 Chaos Bikers - 150 pts
2x Meltagun, Lightning Claw, Melta Bombs

15 Raptors - 345 pts
MoK, Icon of Wrath, Meltagun x2, Lightning Claw

15 Raptors - 345 pts
MoK, Icon of Wrath, Meltagun x2, Lightning Claw

Vindicator - 135 pts

Vindicator - 135 pts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I like the changes. The reason for the extra FA slot would be smaller raptor squads. I'd much rather have three units of 10 than two units of 15. It gives you more special weapons, an extra champion, one more objective grabber, more tactical freedom with the extra unit etc.

Then again, I reckon two raptor squads of 10 is enough for the Night Lords theme. I'd take an extra unit of bikes with that fourth FA slot!

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is actually quiet an attractive prospect, the only issue would be what I would take for the allied HQ slot and what I would drop from the list to fit that choice in as I cannot ally in another Crimson Slaughter force or can I?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Oooh, lots of choices. A Juggerlord with AoBF (or Fisticlaws) from vanilla CSM is certainly a choice--a Juggernaut moves about as fast as Raptors or Bikers. Could also take a Nurgle Biker lord with Fisticlaws and/or the BBoS. Could go with a Black Legion Lord of some variety, with the Skull of Ker'ngar and Hand of Darkness, if you feel like gambling big on one-shotting some enemies: take MoS with that, and you'll have a great chance at killing Wraithknights (or Riptides, Dreadknights, etc) before they get to strike--yay I6! Synergizes well with Prescience from the Balestar if you don't want to risk missing with your super-punch.

Um... biker Sorc, unmarked, ML3, spell familiar? Yeah, you may already have one nearly just the same, but 3 levels of Biomancy (chance at Endurance and Enfeeble, whoohoo, or 2 powers that actually make the Sorc close to a cc monster in Warp Time and Iron Arm)... works well with a squad of bikers.

Even a Black Mace Prince of Nurgle would work, if you can spare the 265 (or so) points.

What would you drop? Hmm, more tough. The troops choice is there, so you'd be able to just shift it over, but... hah. To get the slot to take the 10 raptors in their own squad, you'd probably have to drop 10-odd Raptors.

The alternative is to drop the Balestar sorc for the aforementioned Biomancy Sorc--honestly, I think that Biomancy works with Bikers better than Divination. Plus you get your DTW bonuses back, which are nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts