Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
303 Posts
I prefer the Morkanaut to the Gorkanaut, in terms of effective weaponry. The "plasma" guns they tote can threaten anything in the game, as opposed to the Gorkanaut who just has the Rokkits to contend with enemy armour. They are also more than capable of dealing a ton of damage in low AP fire. Additionally, you can add a KFF to one of them and then not have to bunch everything under the Big Mek for an invulnerable. One of each isn't a terrible idea either if you really want to have a Gorkanaut, but I advocate the Morkanaut immensely.

Filling the 'Nauts (whichever variety you pick) with some sort of threat is almost essential, so that your opponent is more worried about crippling the big guys than annihilating your fragile other walkers. Meganobz are a great threat inside Morkanauts, since they're not assault vehicles and have to endure a turn of shooting and get an invulnerable from the KFF.
Alternatively, a unit of Burna Boyz with 3 Meks can provide you plenty of opportunities to repair your walkers hull points, weaponry or immobilization and make them almost impossible to remove without exploding them.

My thoughts on the Deff Dreads is that Extra Armour is going to be way more valuable than the Grot Riggers. You just need them to get there but if they're stunned for a turn, and therefore not moving, that's way worse and defeats the purpose of the close combat Dreads.

Sticking with what you've got in the formation (mostly) I put my changes below. I swapped the Gorkanauts for Morkanauts, and dropped the Grotzookas for more Rokkit Launchas (better range and Kans can actually hit what they shoot). I also dropped the Boyz squad entirely as I didn't feel like they fit in and ate up too many points. Morkanauts also provide a better template shot than the Grotzookas.

Dread Mob Formation (1480 pts)

Big Mek – 110 pts
Mega Force Field

Painboy – 50 pts

Deff Dread – 100 pts
2x Power Claw, 2x Skorcha, Grot Riggers

Deff Dread – 100 pts

Deff Dread – 100 pts

3 Killa Kans – 150 pts
3x Rokkit Launcha

3 Killa Kans – 150 pts
3x Rokkit Launcha

3 Killa Kans – 150 pts
3x Rokkit Launcha

Morkanaut – 310 pts
Extra Armour, Grot Riggers, KFF

Morkanaut – 260 pts
Extra Armour, Grot Riggers

Combined Arms Detachment (350 pts)

HQ:
Warboss - 120 pts
Power Klaw, Da Lucky Stikk, Combi-Skorcha

Troops:
10 Gretchin - 35 pts
10 Gretchin - 35 pts

Elites:
5 Burna Boyz - 80 pts
3 Meks

5 Burna Boyz - 80 pts
3 Meks

Total: 1830 pts

Painboy and Burnas ride in one Morkanaut, Burnas and the Warboss in another. Big Mek can provide survivability for the Non-KFF Morkanaut + some of the Kans, while the KFF Morkanaut covers the rest of the army. Then when you're within range, dump out the Burna Boyz and incinerate whatever is close. You can even reduce the number of Meks in the squad to provide more fiery death. If you can keep the Painboy alive by footslogging, then a unit of Meganobz would work out nicely if he can stay close to their transport and attach himself when they disembark and make them tough as nails before a deadly assault on your next turn.

Tankbustas would also provide you a chance to shave off more points in the walkers, but you lose the option of having the Meks, so it's all about what you want from your walkers. Survivability vs potential damage output.

I wasn't sure where to put the last 20 pts, probably just a couple more goodies on your HQ's ('eavy armour, Bosspoles and the like). But that's what I would do for a Dread Mob formation, even though I don't think the Ork walkers are as viable as they were in the last codex edition (due to lack of FOC manipulation)

P.S. I have no idea what GW was thinking by requiring the formation to have a Painboy. Absolute waste of 50 pts in a Walker army.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.