Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow 7 Months since I have been on here, nice to see the Orks still getting some love, since I posted my 1k list I have been busy hoarding walkers of all varieties which pretty much leads me to this point :D

Currently this list clocks in at 1839 Points

Dread Mob (Ghazghkull Supplement) : 1475 points

Big Mek - 110 pts
Mega Force Field

Painboy - 50 pts

Deff Dread - 100 pts
2x Skorcha, 2x Power Klaws, Grot Riggers

Deff Dread - 100 pts

Deff Dread - 100 pts

3 Killa Kans - 155 pts
Grotzooka, 2x Rokkit Launcha

3 Killa Kans - 155 pts

3 Killa Kans - 155 pts

Gorkanaut - 275 pts
Grot Riggers, Extra Armour

Gorkanaut - 275 pts

Combined Arms Detachment: 364 pts

HQ: Big Mek - 100
Da Fixer Upperz, Kustom Force Field

Troop: 10 Gretchin - 35 pts

Troop: 30 Boys (Inc Nob) - 229 pts
Shoota, Bosspole, Big Choppa

Tactics; Each Gorkanaut gets a Big Mek to give a Invulnerable Save, each Deff Dread gets some Kans to baby sit. Gretchin Hide, Boys advance and Dakka stuff and get stuck in

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so I have made some small tweaks to the list

1850 Points Bang On

Dread Mob (Ghazghkull Supplement) : 1500 points

Big Mek - 110 pts
Mega Force Field

Painboy - 50 pts

Deff Dread - 100 pts

Deff Dread - 100 pts

Deff Dread - 100 pts

3 Killa Kans - 155 pts

3 Killa Kans - 155 pts

3 Killa Kans - 155 pts

Gorkanaut - 275 pts

Morkanaut - 300 pts
Grot Riggers, Kustom Force Field

Combined Arms Detachment: 350 pts

HQ: Warboss (warlord) - 114 pts
'Eavy Armour, Power Klaw, Shoota, Da Lucky Stikk

Troop: 26 Boys (Inc Nob) - 201 pts

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Yeah were still all here, well some of us, at least orks are still not the most competitive faction but still orks are always fun. Seems like a decent list, always a bit of fun to run a bunch of walkers. Bit like a wandering up death, that they can inflict quite a decent ammount of damage and the gorkanaught with the armour 13. Which could always be fun.

Thats about all.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah were still all here, well some of us, at least orks are still not the most competitive faction but still orks are always fun. Seems like a decent list, always a bit of fun to run a bunch of walkers. Bit like a wandering up death, that they can inflict quite a decent ammount of damage and the gorkanaught with the armour 13. Which could always be fun.

Thats about all.
I've always had a soft spot for the Greenskins and now that Fantasy is essentially dead to me I can finally concentrate on 40k, the main reason that 40k interested me was the Stompa model from Epic 40K so to be able to run an army of Big Walkers is a dream come true for me, I've never been a competitive gamer and have always picked up models that I like the look of rather then are "effective" choices.

Anyway couple of small tweaks again on the list to fit in another couple of Boys to the Mob, also have squadroned the Killa Kans into single weapon choices

Total Roster Cost: 1846 Points

“Dread Mob” Formation: 1475 Points

Big Mek – 110 pts
Mega Force Field

Painboy – 50 pts

Deff Dread – 100 pts
2x Power Claw, 2x Skorcha, Grot Riggers

Deff Dread – 100 pts

Deff Dread – 100 pts

3 Killa Kans – 165 pts
3x Grotzooka

3 Killa Kans – 150 pts
3x Rokkit Launcha

3 Killa Kans – 150 pts
3x Rokkit Launcha

Gorkanaut – 275 pts
Extra Armour, Grot Riggers

Gorkanaut – 275 pts

Combined Arms Detachment: 371 Points

HQ: Warboss – 114 pts
‘Eavy Armour, Power Klaw, Shoota, Da Lucky Stikk

Troops: 29 Boyz (Inc Nob) – 222 pts

Troops: 10 Gretchin – 35 pts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I prefer the Morkanaut to the Gorkanaut, in terms of effective weaponry. The "plasma" guns they tote can threaten anything in the game, as opposed to the Gorkanaut who just has the Rokkits to contend with enemy armour. They are also more than capable of dealing a ton of damage in low AP fire. Additionally, you can add a KFF to one of them and then not have to bunch everything under the Big Mek for an invulnerable. One of each isn't a terrible idea either if you really want to have a Gorkanaut, but I advocate the Morkanaut immensely.

Filling the 'Nauts (whichever variety you pick) with some sort of threat is almost essential, so that your opponent is more worried about crippling the big guys than annihilating your fragile other walkers. Meganobz are a great threat inside Morkanauts, since they're not assault vehicles and have to endure a turn of shooting and get an invulnerable from the KFF.
Alternatively, a unit of Burna Boyz with 3 Meks can provide you plenty of opportunities to repair your walkers hull points, weaponry or immobilization and make them almost impossible to remove without exploding them.

My thoughts on the Deff Dreads is that Extra Armour is going to be way more valuable than the Grot Riggers. You just need them to get there but if they're stunned for a turn, and therefore not moving, that's way worse and defeats the purpose of the close combat Dreads.

Sticking with what you've got in the formation (mostly) I put my changes below. I swapped the Gorkanauts for Morkanauts, and dropped the Grotzookas for more Rokkit Launchas (better range and Kans can actually hit what they shoot). I also dropped the Boyz squad entirely as I didn't feel like they fit in and ate up too many points. Morkanauts also provide a better template shot than the Grotzookas.

Dread Mob Formation (1480 pts)

Big Mek – 110 pts
Mega Force Field

Painboy – 50 pts

Deff Dread – 100 pts

Deff Dread – 100 pts

Deff Dread – 100 pts

3 Killa Kans – 150 pts
3x Rokkit Launcha

3 Killa Kans – 150 pts
3x Rokkit Launcha

3 Killa Kans – 150 pts
3x Rokkit Launcha

Morkanaut – 310 pts
Extra Armour, Grot Riggers, KFF

Morkanaut – 260 pts

Combined Arms Detachment (350 pts)

HQ:
Warboss - 120 pts
Power Klaw, Da Lucky Stikk, Combi-Skorcha

Troops:
10 Gretchin - 35 pts
10 Gretchin - 35 pts

Elites:
5 Burna Boyz - 80 pts
3 Meks

5 Burna Boyz - 80 pts
3 Meks

Total: 1830 pts

Painboy and Burnas ride in one Morkanaut, Burnas and the Warboss in another. Big Mek can provide survivability for the Non-KFF Morkanaut + some of the Kans, while the KFF Morkanaut covers the rest of the army. Then when you're within range, dump out the Burna Boyz and incinerate whatever is close. You can even reduce the number of Meks in the squad to provide more fiery death. If you can keep the Painboy alive by footslogging, then a unit of Meganobz would work out nicely if he can stay close to their transport and attach himself when they disembark and make them tough as nails before a deadly assault on your next turn.

Tankbustas would also provide you a chance to shave off more points in the walkers, but you lose the option of having the Meks, so it's all about what you want from your walkers. Survivability vs potential damage output.

I wasn't sure where to put the last 20 pts, probably just a couple more goodies on your HQ's ('eavy armour, Bosspoles and the like). But that's what I would do for a Dread Mob formation, even though I don't think the Ork walkers are as viable as they were in the last codex edition (due to lack of FOC manipulation)

P.S. I have no idea what GW was thinking by requiring the formation to have a Painboy. Absolute waste of 50 pts in a Walker army.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Ok so I have made some small tweaks to the list

1850 Points Bang On

Dread Mob (Ghazghkull Supplement) : 1500 points

Big Mek - 110 pts
Mega Force Field

Painboy - 50 pts

Deff Dread - 100 pts

Deff Dread - 100 pts

Deff Dread - 100 pts

3 Killa Kans - 155 pts

3 Killa Kans - 155 pts

3 Killa Kans - 155 pts

Gorkanaut - 275 pts

Morkanaut - 300 pts
Grot Riggers, Kustom Force Field

Combined Arms Detachment: 350 pts

HQ: Warboss (warlord) - 114 pts
'Eavy Armour, Power Klaw, Shoota, Da Lucky Stikk

Troop: 26 Boys (Inc Nob) - 201 pts

I would drop the skorchas on all or at least two of the dreads and go with rokkits. You might even make one or two of the dreads with four powerklaws. I would also give the painboy a couple of grot orderlies. I really feel the grot riggers on your dreads are probably wasted points since there is a ton of stuff that blast them to bits. This will give you points to give the big mek some grot oilers to help with important repairs.
Something to consider is I have been using two Gorkanauts in my army and all that firepower is proving to be more of a problem for my opponents than the Morkanuats forcefield.

I would also change all but one squad of killa kanz from grotzookas to rokkits. This so far has been way more useful to me. Also I think your current CAD is not going to be very useful. I would rather take Zhadsnark "Da Rippa" with a unit of 4 warbikes and three warbikes. This might give you enough points to take a Kustom Meka-Dread with a Big Zzappa, Mega-charga and a Rippa Klaw. Giving you another walker to cause problems for your opponent to deal with.

Anyway just some ideas to toy with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts