Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ever since 6th edition was announced, I've been playing 40k a lot less, mostly because i hate the new assaulting rules. Nevertheless, a friend of mine wants me to join him in an 1850pt tourney at the FLGS Hobby Kingdom. I would have preferred to take my Demons, but I can only make a reliable list of 1500 points, so I'm bringing my Tyranids and showing off my awesome conversions :p

I don't know much about 6th edition other than Flyers and Monstrous Creatures are OP? I need a rulebook lol. I just made this list using 5th edition knowledge, No big deal. Lascannons still hurt like hell, rapid fire is OP, I still hate plasma stuff and krak missiles are the bane of my existence, not much has changed!

Waiting for 7th edition heheh

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hive Tyrant
Armoured Shell
Old Adversary
Dual Brainleech Devourers

Tyranid Prime
Lash Whip & Bonesword

18 genestealers

18 genestealers

30 termagaunts

Venomthrope

3 Tyrannofexes :victory:
Rupture Cannon
Stinger Salvo (Cluster Spines too risky/random)

1849​

The Blob Strategy
Tyranid prime pairs up with the venomthrope, extending the duration of it's survivability through wound allocation. Also gives defense to the meatshield and other stuff, since powerweapons still wreck my face. This is why I love lash whips

Tyrannofexes target AV11+ stuff as they move forwards with the fleet.

Genestealers Infiltrate on either side of the board, their purpose is to intercept light tanks and stuff.

Termagaunts surround the 4 Monstrous Creatures, venomthrope and Tyranid Prime.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
I advise against genestealers. Especially against marines, where they die about as easy as guants do for, what, three times the points? Infiltrating is overrated, and most smurfs have fire and blasts anyway, so why not give them infinite targets?

I would switch out armored shell with wings on your tyrant (hint: *flyrant*). Possibly old adversity if you need it too (not sure on points). They are indispensable for removing flyers etc. and improve his survivability much more than a 2+ save.

3 :shok: 3 Tyranofexes? Mother of god... WHY? :threaten: Seriously, I'm more confused than anything else. They're not the best anti-tank in the book, as they pay for a lot that they don't need (like crazy survivabliity. They just need to shoot shit goddamnit!). 2 bs3 shots per model isn't that much, and even with 6, that's what - 100 points a shot? 150? I don't even know man. I'm not sure what to replace it with, but you could do a whole lot.

Another thing - are they synapse? Because if not, you need waayy more. I don't think venomthropes are either, so that leaves you with - two :puke: Oh the joy... Even with three, though, that's not nearly enough. Zoanthropes might be nice, or even some backfield warriors for just chillin, you know :wink: Or maybe even another flyrant! True, that does bump out the prime, but really a flyrant is better. Actually, your call. Hiding in a blob of 18 guys (why not 30??) is nice.

A tervigon might be nice, but then you need 30 gaunts.

Sorry, I'm a bit scattered and I only know what has worked against me, and genestealers and rupture cannons are not on the list. Also, if you can't tell I tried to use a lot of smileys :victory: because they're tons of fun :so_happy: Anyway, I hope this helps, and that someone who know more about nids comes to talk :scratchhead:

Cheers mate! :drinks: Glhf and all that

·
Registered
467 Posts

Hive Tyrant
Armoured Shell
Old Adversary
Dual Brainleech Devourers

Tyranid Prime
Lash Whip & Bonesword

18 genestealers

18 genestealers

30 termagaunts

Venomthrope

3 Tyrannofexes :victory:
Rupture Cannon
Stinger Salvo (Cluster Spines too risky/random)

1849​
I can definitely tell you haven't been playing much of 6th and definitely haven't used the new Tyranid codex.

First off, armoured shell is completely gone. There is a relic you can take that basically works like the old ymgarl stealers and allows a 2+ save during the assault phase only. So that's basically rubbish. So wings are your best bet here, plus flying tyrants are just awesome.

Tyranid Prime - went up in points and in my opinion isn't worth it. I used to run one in 5th edition as my main HQ but now days they just don't pay for themselves. Instead I would take a 2nd Tyrant. It's just better in every way. If you could, I would also make this one a flyrant.

2x flying hive tyrants is just awesome and only one FMC on the board is lack luster. You need at least one to combat enemy fliers but having at least 2 is preferable.

Moving on.

I honestly still really like using genestealers. However, in my 1750 list I was using the endless swarm dataslate so I had like 9 troop choices total so having two be stealers wasn't a huge deal. That being said, I usually run minimum squad size with a broodlord each. The broodlord gets a power that allows them to pin (I suppose that doesn't matter against marines though). So in that case I think you should go for 3 squads of 12, rather than 2 at 18. IMO.

I don't think there is any reason to run 30 termagaunts, especially if you're not taking a tervigon. Maybe 2 squads of 15? Or even switch over to hormagants to rush in after the stealers and possibly those two flyrants :)

Venomthrope seems solid - I prefer a zoanthrope as it provides synapse and with a venomthrope you're typically bunching up too much.

As for the 3 t-fexes. I've been curious about using one or 2 since the new dex came out. The seem better. Though, I still don't think the rupture cannon is worth it. Especially since it's base gun is pretty solid and comes with torrent. Also, 6th isn't usually to vehicle heavy. And if you take those 2 flyrants (possibly with 2x BL devourers on both or maybe on one with BL devourers/Bone sword - whip on the other), you shouldn't have too much problem with light vehicles.

Honestly, your list will be hard to take out, at least fighting those 3 T-fexes, but I believe it will pose a bigger threat if you lose the rupture cannons. You also have no real way to deal with fliers. And with the new codex synapse is a much bigger must. Most of your list is immune to the worst effects but its definitely something to consider.

Personally, I would drop a T-fex for one of the new MCs, the Exocrine. It has a 24 inch STR 7 AP 2 large blast or assault 6. If you face a lot of marines seems pretty handy. It also comes in at 5 points less then a T-fex.

Hope some of this helps and good luck at the tournament. Of course if you don't want to buy anything new that is understandable but these are my thoughts after spending the last few months with the new dex and playing some games.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i have one of the old Armourcast Exocrines from the 90s, would love to use it but the base would be completely wrong. I also kinda hate the new models for those lol, too many fragile little bits, GW tried too hard on it imo

wait, what do you mean armoured shell's completely gone? Was there a new Codex?

·
Registered
467 Posts
i have one of the old Armourcast Exocrines from the 90s, would love to use it but the base would be completely wrong. I also kinda hate the new models for those lol, too many fragile little bits, GW tried too hard on it imo

wait, what do you mean armoured shell's completely gone? Was there a new Codex?
Fair enough, then go with 3 T-fexes, I feel its a tough nut to crack for sure. But I don't think the rupture cannon is needed on all 3. I would opt for 1 or 2 to keep its flamer. Especially seeing as it is AP 4. Which takes care of a lot of troops, besides Marines.

....Yes? Just the new codex from January of this year. In which Armoured shell was left out. Now the only 2+ save is the T-fex.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually, a genestealer rush list came 2nd, and was at the top table at the Crucible GT.

I play Dark Eldar, which is almost always an autoloss for Tyranids, and even I had difficulty against the rush list.

You NEED 2 Flying MC's for a competitive tyranid list, and if you are going to use Genestealers you need ALOT more, but if you do, its extremely effective.

Thats all I know, we have a world tier tyranid player on our team, and he used to use that strat.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I play 5 Flying Monstrous Creatures and it works very well. Two Flyrants, two Harpies, and one Crone, along with two infiltrating Genestealer squads, each with a Broodlord. Then the enemy has two powerful Genestealer squads, and five flying MCs in their face really fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts