Leman Russ Executioner
-Heavy bolter sponsons

There it is. Feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Not a bad list mate.

Couple of points:

- Executioner: remove the heavy bolter sponsons. As you are only able to fire at one unit all those heavy bolter shots will do is allow your opponent to put those wounds on models they want alive (special weapons, power fists, etc) and then take all the plasma wounds on the standard guys. Either fit with plasma sponsons, or leave them at home and put a hull lascannon on.

- Basilisk; it's an OK choice but not great, you are much better off with a Manticore for the S10 multiple shot blast weapon. The AP3 of the Bassi is good but you'll almost certainly have to fire it directly due to the large minimum range and therefore it will be easier to get a cover save against its wounds.

Apart from that, I like this list. You could drop Demolitions doctrine from one or both of the vet squads and maybe try to add a commissar to one of the infantry squads so you have the option of combining them in a stubborn blob to protect your tanks/artillery.

You could also drop the chimera from the PCS and put them in a vendetta to make it scoring, but I like the squad as it is.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes I like this list too. Agree with switching the basy for a manticore and putting plasma sponsons on the executioner. 5 blasts demolishes meq or termie squads.
I would also switch the psyker and either marbo or more probably a few ratlings for a ccs and SW's. You then get more firepower and a squad to protect it but also now you can twin link the missile launchers with orders which is worth the extra points. The amount of times my guardsmen fail to hit on their bs 3 kills my missile launchers....
I actually prefer autocannons but it's really whatever your playstyle fits.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
It does have some great units and some not so good -

Executioner - definitely drop the HB Sponsons as an Executioner demands Plasma Sponsons to be truly killy, otherwise it will underwelm you quite often.

Demolisher - I keep mine with just a Hull HF because, been so short-ranged it needs to be kept mobile so it stands a chance against c/c attacks. That said, your set-up makes it good at area denial defending a Flank against enemy vehicles...just try and protect it against any Outflankers/DS'ing units.

Ratlings - I would split them in to 2 x 5..2 different targets to shoot at and easier to hide, plus being so cheap they aren't worth shooting at whereas 10 makes them a fatter more viable target.

Basilisks - are OK and good against MEQ's, but for not that many more points you can have a Manticore, which is still good against MEQ due to having multiple blasts, but is far better at anti-tank than the Bassie while also been great against Hoards and MC's..making it a more effective generalist - type choice.

Primaris Psyker - isn't a bad choice but nowhere near as effective and versatile as a CCS which gives you access to Orders, allows up to 4 SW's @ BS4, etc.

Still, just my 2c..best of luck with the list:wink:

·
Registered
261 Posts
*beware: cookie cutter answers below*

It's been said above and I'll second the following:
*A psyker is a cheap HQ, but it's also a weakling choice. I've played with one a couple of times in small games. The 3d6 S5 AP4 attacks were fun against a unit of genestealers, but the psyker is nowhere as usefull as the CCS. (Even if you take the naked CCS and just use it for orders on your HWS and combined infantry squads.) The CCS doese love a chimera. The psyker also doesn't seem at home in the theme of this list.)
*You're almost entirely mechanised. In such armies an astropath is awesome. You do need a CCS to get an astropath. (You see where this is going right? ;))
*A basilisk is 'alright', but a manticore will add much more 'oomph' to the list.
*An executioner needs plasma sponsons to maximise S7 AP2 death.
(I don't completely disagree with the MM sponsons on the demolisher. It's shortranged and expensive though. And you don't need the extra melta power.)
*Ratlings... I'd spent the points on other upgrades.

I'd drop the psyker and take a CCS with 4 meltaguns, astropath and chimera. (+105pts) I'd take a manticore instead of the basilisk. (+35pts) I'd drop the ratlings (-100pts) and drop the MM sponsons (-40pts) and take plasma sponson on your executioner (+20pts). Which leaves us with the task to save 20pts... You could drop the missile launchers and just take naked squads to make the vendettas claiming. Or you could drop demolitions on 1 unit of veterans.

That would give you(r friend) a very decent 1850pts take-all-comers list.

Greetz

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I will change out the PSYKER for a CCS I don't own a MANTICORE so i have to play with what I got. I like the MM Spons on the Demolisher I wanna Keep the RATS for MC but ill drop 5 to make up for the plasma spons and extra on the CCS

HQ
CCS
-4 melta
-Astropath
-chimera

TROOPS
Veteran Squad
-3 melta guns
-Demolitions doctrine
-Chimera

Veteran Squad
-3 melta guns
-Demolitions Doctrine
-Chimera

Platoon command squad
-4 flamers
-Chimera

Infantry squad
-Heavy weapons team (missle)

Infantry squad
-Heavy weapons team (missle)

Heavy weapons team
-3 Missle launchers

ELITES
Marbo

Ratling squad x5

FAST ATTACK
Vendetta gunship

Vendetta gunship

Vendetta gunship

HEAVY
Basalisk

Leman Russ Demolisher
-Multi melta sponsons

Leman Russ Executioner
-plasma sponsons

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Much more effective list now..and playing with what you own makes perfect sense.

I'm afraid I'm just not a fan of the Demolitions Doctrine (none of them really) when the Unit is in a Chimera..you can't use them until you're out of the transport, and I'm a firm believer that Vets should never dis-embark on purpose, and the Blast is just as likely to scatter back onto your own Men as not.

The best Squad to put them in is one that has Harker as its leader, because his abilities make it possible to get close to use them well..no Chimera obviously.

Still, all up to you of course..best of luck with it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That's a solid list you got now.

I'd still tweak some things, but you explained those choices.

I only ever take one 'demolitions' unit and that is because of the alphastrike threat to pose to my opponent who will then adjust his deployment and render them useless. But he has adjusted to my threat and probably to my intended trick. I don't buy demolitions for the demo charge, I buy it for the 10 S8+2D6 attacks on a vehicles that hasn't moved yet.

As Hobo pointed out on other threads, there is a danger of losing 260pts if your opponent 'seizes the innitiative' after you scout move into position for the mentioned alphastrike.

Just driving around with demolitions is a bit iffy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sweet Action! I might drop the transport on one vet for alpha strike but, the demo is for vehicles and hords of Nids which is at least 6 of the players then a few orks and of course marines.(Also on a side note) Are your units able to start in a fast attack? I cant find a rule on it

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't understand your "I might drop the transport on one vet for alpha strike" statement?

You can have the chimera-vets and just decide on a battle-by-battle basis to put one unit of demo-vets in a vendetta. So no need to handicap them in all the other games. (Alphastrike only happens so often...)

You can have a fast attack choice (vendetta) in reserve and have a unit (veterans) inside. You just have to make this clear at the beginning of the battle when you declare what starts in reserve and which unts will outflank.

Greetz

·
Registered
183 Posts
get the cheaper ccs, cheaper and overall better
having two vet squads with the demolitions doctrine is a bit much, only give one of the squads he upgrade
ratlings are pretty pointless... take them out spend the points on getting some more infantry, commissars, special weapons, or upgrades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts