Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the local stores is starting a league at 1850 points and i just got a few new models so i came up with this list let me know what you think about it! :D

10 Dire Avengers with exarch with Dire sword and pistol, defend and blade storm 172
10 Dire Avengers with exarch with Dire sword and pistol, defend and blade storm 172
10 wraithguard with spiritseer with conceal 396
wave serpent for the DAs with bright lance 135
wraith lord with bright lance and EML 155
falcon with EML 140
3 warwalkers with scatter lasers 180
eldrad 210
1850/1850

idea would to be fortune the wraith guard, guide the warwalkers march the wraith guard with the avatar eldrad and wraith lord down the middle and shot everything while wave serpents skimmer around shoot stuff and wait to take objectives. tell me what you think about my startigies and list please :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
One of the local stores is starting a league at 1850 points and i just got a few new models so i came up with this list let me know what you think about it! :D

Its 155 pts.

eldrad 210

take Two shuri catapults, drop defend. Do disembark, bladestorm, embark, ride far off, repeat.

Well i suggest Enhance. In 5 edition its really easy to get cover save. The problem with wraithguard (other than money cost of models) is that at 1850 pts you will face at least one unit of assault terminators, mega armor nobs or equivalent, that will kill ya pretty fast. If you get to shoot the W-cannon, you will get some pts back. If you dont, you just spend 400 pts on worthless shield unit, that most Eldar armies due to mobility dont need.

If you want to run him into CC, maybe sword instead of EML?

falcon with EML 140

1850/1850

idea would to be fortune the wraith guard, guide the warwalkers march the wraith guard with the avatar eldrad and wraith lord down the middle and shot everything while wave serpents skimmer around shoot stuff and wait to take objectives. tell me what you think about my startigies and list please :D
Well its pretty solid list on paper, i dont know how well it works on table. Most people dont have good experiences with Wraithguard.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Solid troops choices. However, looking into either the PW/Shimmer combo or the Dual Catapult. The Diresword is nice, and most people see it and scream FORCE WEAPON! However, it requires your Opponent to pass their leadership test, not your troop. It is usually just a Power-sword. I usually prefer to go with the PW/SS combo if I plan on my DA's assaulting. That way they all have a 5+ inv. against Power weapon hits.

Look at grabbing spirit stones for all your grav-tanks. A transport is useless if it can't move. Converting a Stunned result to a Shaken is good.

falcon with EML 140
The Wraithguard are...fail. Yes, you have a big blob of T6 troops that footslog slowly towards the enemy. Yes, it has a big scary gun. However, it's ultimate failing is that it is: A) Slow, and B) It's gun can shoot only 12". Refer to your rulebook, wherein the effective Assault range for most troops (Movement then Assault move) is 12". You will only get a single round of shooting off with your cannon against some opponents. Against any troops that are Fleet, you won't even get the single shot.

To be honest, I would drop the Wraithguard for a mid-sized squad of Fire Dragons in a Cheap Serpent (Serpent w/ T/L Shurri-cannon and Spirit Stones).

Also look into a small assault squad to ride in your empty Falcon.

Warwalkers with Scatter lasers are ok.

eldrad 210
1850/1850
Eldrad and the Avatar is a fairly solid combo. Mr. Tall-and-Molten can put out a world of hurt on anything he connects with. Eldrad is one of the best HQ's available.

The fundamental problem with your strategy is that it will stall against two common opponents: A) The TH/SS Assault Termies (and equivalent), and B) Any sort of High S ranged fire.

Serious ranged opposition will whittle down your Blob-of-Wraithbone. Assault Terminators Inc. will mince you in CC< where their 3+ inv. will allow them to weather a lot of the MC-class punishment you throw their way. Otehr dedicated CC troops will also punish you, but just take more losses.

And Lets not forget that you lose your 3rd psychic power when Eldrad is in assault. Also, it is hard to 'Move and shoot everything' when your gun reaches 12".

I would look at dropping the Avatar and the Wraithguard Blob. Either get a second Farseer, or nab an Autarch. If you go Autarch, you can have some serious fun with out-flanking Warwalkers. Replace the Wraithguard with some Fire Dragon in Serpent. Over-all, you will have more success.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how does the autarch help you outflank with the warwalkers? and yeah power fists would kill wraithguard and storm shields are evil and would ruin my day. dont have any fire dragons yet ill probly buy them next. with they wraith guard i planned to give the warlock conceal for the cover save and with eldard to let them reroll it. it would really put a damper on the high strength shooty weapons. I also like the diresword with the pistol just for the extra attack on the exarch really. but i see how the shimmer shield especaly with fortune can stop alot of power fists and comboed with defend. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Warwalkers can Scout, which also allows them to Outflank. An Autarch provides you with a +1 to reserve rolls. Therefore, you can have your 3 Warwalker's turn up on your opponents flank on a 3+. That many shots cna mess up the side/Rear armor of a tank line.

A 5+ re-rollable save of any kind is not nearly reliable enough to justify the unit. You will still lose too many models. And it still doesn't take away from the fact that you would be spending of real-life money an ass-ton of money on a terrible unit. There is just no escaping that there are many better ways for you to spend your points and/or money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts