Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm a returning player (started Eldar back in 2nd edition) and thinking of starting an Iyanden army. Being true to fluff is important to me, having a mix of units, and generally just having fun. Not looking to enter tournaments but just to play games at the local club where I'll be moving to in a month or two.

So here's my list with an alternative afterwards. Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts!

HQ:

1) Shadow Council
2 x Spiritseers, one with Wraithforge stone
= 170

TROOPS:

1) 5 x Wraithguard
D-Scythes
Wave Serpent, holo-fields
= 340

2) 5 x Wraithguard
D-Scythes
Wave Serpent, holo-fields
= 340

3) 8 x Dire Avengers
Exarch, power weapon + shimmer shield
Wave Serpent, holo-fields, twin linked bright lance
= 269

4) 8 x Dire Avengers
Exarch, power weapon + shimmer shield
Wave Serpent, holo-fields, twin linked bright lance
= 269

FAST ATTACK:

1) 6 x Swooping Hawks
Exarch, sunrifle, marksman's eye
= 131

HEAVY SUPPORT:

1) Wraithlord (120)
Ghostglaive, 2 x bright lances
= 165

2) Wraithlord (120)
Ghostglaive, scatter laser, star cannon
= 165

TOTAL: 1,849

Alternatives:

To reduce potential 'serpent spam' and to increase number of wraith units to increase fluff and model count:

Remove wave serpents from Dire Avengers (+270).

Add five more Wraithguard or Wraithblades (-160) and another Spiritseer to run with them for battle focus (-70).

Leaves 40 pts, so maybe more Swooping Hawks.

A second option instead of adding more Wraithguard is to add rangers and wind rider jetbikes, but not sure how fluffy this is.

My thinking here is that the army attacks in two halves, with a unit of Wraithguard and Dire Avengers working together on one or two targets at a time. Wraithlords either split to work with half of the army or are somewhere between the two, supporting, being a threat together and being supported by the Spiritseer with the Wraithforge Stone. One of the Wraithlords (probably the anti infantry, scatter laser and star cannon one) would be the warlord.

Spiritseers run with Wraithguard units. I like the look and rules for Dire Avengers so wanted to include them as I love the blade storm rule and the idea do massed shuriken fire. Also the reason why I kept shuriken cannon turrets on wave serpents. Not bothered about twin linking serpent shield as personally I think that's not 100% in the spirit of the rules.

Added in swooping hawks for two reasons:
1) This army, unlike regular Eldar, isn't as tricksy and surprising, so it needs either hawks or spiders for surprise attacks. Also useful for crowd control due to the army's low model count and emergency vehicle popping with haywire.

2) Until they bring out new models for warp spiders I'm not buying them. They were around in the 90s when I first started out with 40k and, IMHO, need a refresh. How good models look has always affected the way I play with them.

So what are your thoughts? Knowing my general plan, would 4 serpents be spam? The plan might be hampered if the Dire Avengers and Wraithguard aren't together, but maybe if the DAs battle focus up and the wave serpent Wraithguard zoom up later it might work. If going with this alternative and introducing a third wraith unit, I'm not sure which to go for but am leaning towards a Wraithblade unit with axes. I really want a snooty army but there is something to be said for counter assault. In my current plan it's all about attack then taking objectives when they all lie dead, but I think I may need a rapid response element.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Well first of remove individual point costs people giving you advice on wargear and shaving points probably have the codex.
Secondly remove the exarchs and there wargear they dont add all that much to the units.
Thirdly Get scatter lasers and shurican cannons on all those serpants turns them into light tank and infantrys worst nightmare.
Defo add windriders and warp spiders every large craftworld has the main aspects and guardian jetbikes and rangers so your fine from a fluffy standpoint.
Finally get double lance on that second lord.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! I found loads of models at my family home over Christmas which was a nice surprise as I thought I'd sold the lot. I think I'd substitute guardians in where I have dire avengers.

Defo agree that Warp Spiders and Windriders need a place here. Also tempted to add a Nightspinner for crowd control due to this army's lack of numbers.

Do people think the general approach of guardian and Wraithguard units in wave serpents attacking one or two localised targets works, while receiving heavy support from the Wraithlords? I'd love to get a hemlock but it seems so situational. Seems built for a wraith army though, as it's mind shock pod won't affect wraith units and it might keep hoards at bay so they can be dealt with more easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts