Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Heretics! I recently stumbled upon this great site looking for some new 40k tips as I am just getting back into the game. I used to play Space Marines and Alaitoc Rangers back in 3rd and decided to get back into the hobby after some time off, but strategies and lists have obviously changed since I last played. So the local gaming store by me holds an 1850 league weekly and I came up with a marine army that probably isn't the most competitive but seems like it could be fun. Please leave any comments/advice as it is all appreciated.

1850 Space Marines

HQ: Shrike - 195

Elites: Terminator Assault Squadx10 w/ TH/SS - 400

Elites: Dreadnought w/ TLL - 135

Elites: Dreadnought w/ Assault Cannon and ML - 125

Troops: Tactical Squadx10 w/ Meltagun and ML, in a rhino - 210

Fast Attack: Vanguard Vets w/ 2xPP 2xPW 1xRB and jump packs - 250

Heavy Support: Vindicator - 115

Comes to a total of exactly 1850. I guess the plan would be to put the termies with shrike and have them wreak havoc early in the game and bring the vanguards in to where they're needed or support my big CC unit. I figure the three troops choices should be enough for an 1850 game with a decent amount of firepower and a good amount of mobility. The vindi is just to take out anything tough and the dreads are pretty much there for the same thing.

The store I play at has about 18 people per week showing up and about 12 of them being MEQ armies. I feel comfortable running any style of army so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Hey Bobby, I dig the "thunder bubble" approach, but I think you need to make some changes to really make it effective. The biggest is that you're gonna struggle making Shrike effective attaching him to the Termies. Second is a lack of firepower

As your list is now... the Vindi won't make it cause you have too few other threats on the board and it's gotta go.

The dreads aren't really set up to break hard stuff... I think you either need to go the TL Las / ML route or the Rifleman Dread (2 autocannons)

Shrike will only get off the first turn assault if you roll a 6 for your fleet. Ie, Termies infiltrate 18" away and then you get 6" for move, your fleet roll, and then 6" assault... If you want to do the turn one assault, then think about using vanguards...

Consider the following
3 Rifleman Dreads
2 Tac Squads in Razorback with good gun (Full Tac squad)
3 Auto Las preds
1 Typhoon w MM
Shrike
Vanguard Vets (430 points worth)

That at least gives you the first turn assault, then for backing 8 things that are gonna shoot hard

To go with the Thunder bubble approach, I would take an HQ in termie Armor... I really like the chaplain model, but for more competative games, I'm more likely to take the termie for the psy defence...

But here's what it's would look like at 1850
Chappie in Termie Armor
10 Assault Marines
3 Typhoons
3 Auto Las preds
2 Full Tac squads in Razorback with good gun
1 5 man tac squad in Razorback with good gun

That would give me 9 hard shooters every turn plus the big thunderbubble squad that just runs forward to break face...

However, I'm not sure if you can really do both...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! How do you think the first list you suggested would fare against marines seeing as I'll be playing against them in 2/3 of my matches?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
It will hold its own... It could be better, but the idea is to write a Shrike list with a turn 1 assault... The preds and dreads will keep you in the game and give you a lot of fire support. Now if you're taking this against optimized and balanced lists, then it will struggle cause you've got a ton of points in Shrike + Friends and your opponent might have his invested in other stuff.... but I believe it can hang vs most.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts