Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda funny I go to post this right after someone else does a Grey Knight/Red Scorpion, but here is my list.

Grey Knights Primary
HQ
Librarian- 160
-Level 3
-Domina Liber Daemonica
-Either Halberd or Falchions

ELITE
5 Paladins- 336
-Narthecium
-Brother Banner
-1 Daemon Hammer
-3 Halberds

TROOP
10 Terminators- 406
-2 Psycannons
-2 Daemon Hammers
-8 Halberds

HEAVY
Dreadknight- 160
-Personal Teleporter

Red Scorpions
HQ
Sevrin Loth- 175

9 Honor Guard- 280
-Champion w/ Relic Blade
-Upgrading the Relic Blade to a Spear of the Scorpion, S user/+2 AP 3/2
-Chapter Banner
Drop Pod- 45
-Teleport Homer

TROOP
5 Tactical Squad- 80
-Sergeant w/ Narthecium
-Sergeant w/ Combi-Melta

5 Tactical Squad- 80
-Sergeant w/ Narthecium
-Sergeant w/ Combi-Melta

5 Scouts- 59
-4 Snipers

5 Scouts- 69
-4 Snipers
-Teleport Homer

Librarian will go with the Paladins, rolling on Sanctic powers. He gets 4 powers with the Liber, so I'll likely get Sanctuary.

Terminators will combat squad, one hammer and psycannon in each squad.

Loth will go with the Honor Guard and Drop Pod. Loth will be picking Iron Arm, Endurance, and Life Leech off of Biomancy. Iron Arm for S8 and T7 in challenges. Endurance so him and his squad have 2+ armor, along with a 4+ Feel no Pain. Life Leech for if he does ever lose a wound.

Scout Squad with Teleport Homer will infiltrate somewhere good, provide possible positions for the Grey Knights.

Tactical Squads hold objectives along with Scouts.

Loth and Grey Knights are on full deep strike assault.

26 models with 2+ armor, and with psychic powers 10 will have 4+ Feel No Pain and 6 will have 4+ Invul saves.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Eh, it's okay as two mini-stars but I think that if you're doing Red Scorpions/Grey Knights, you can't really pass up on the obvious 10 Paladins with Loth for Invisibility/Terrify/Shrouding or Mental Fortitude with the Librarian (sans Liber) rolling on Divination gunning for Prescience/Forewarning/Perfect Timing/Precognition.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue with running Paladins with Loth is that they are in Terminator Armor and Loth is not, so they would have to run up the field unless I took a Land Raider but that would be way too many points.

Honor Guard are the only effective squad I can put Loth with.

And while Invisibility is quite a good power, Loth is in a squad comprised of 2+ armor. I would rather have Loth be combat effective than make my enemy fire snap shots. However, if I am against an Imp. Guard army that is heavy in blast templates, I will take Telepathy over Biomancy.

His other issue is only having two wounds and no Eternal Warrior. Endurance fixes the Eternal Warrior part, and Life Leech will allow him to regain wounds.

As far as my Grey Knight Librarian goes, Vortex of Doom has proven to be an amazing power. I haven't had the power backfire on my yet, but each game I use it I have made one portion of the board uninhabitable because I cast the power each turn. The chaos three of those things running around creates is both fun and amazingly destructive. That's also where the 4+ Feel No Pain comes in handy.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
The issue with running Paladins with Loth is that they are in Terminator Armor and Loth is not, so they would have to run up the field unless I took a Land Raider but that would be way too many points.

Honor Guard are the only effective squad I can put Loth with.

And while Invisibility is quite a good power, Loth is in a squad comprised of 2+ armor. I would rather have Loth be combat effective than make my enemy fire snap shots. However, if I am against an Imp. Guard army that is heavy in blast templates, I will take Telepathy over Biomancy.

His other issue is only having two wounds and no Eternal Warrior. Endurance fixes the Eternal Warrior part, and Life Leech will allow him to regain wounds.

As far as my Grey Knight Librarian goes, Vortex of Doom has proven to be an amazing power. I haven't had the power backfire on my yet, but each game I use it I have made one portion of the board uninhabitable because I cast the power each turn. The chaos three of those things running around creates is both fun and amazingly destructive. That's also where the 4+ Feel No Pain comes in handy.
Inquisitor with the Liber Heresius will let you Scout, and also access Divination for you if you want redundancy on Prescience. You can also bring him with Rad Grenades or Psychotrokes or Plasma Siphons if you want to pummel face even harder, but it's rarely worth the points to murder people 10% harder. I tend to bring an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in Terminator Armour with Liber Heresius, Psyker Level 1 and Psycannon to add even more shooting punch to the squad, double up on Divination (Prescience, Forewarning, Perfect Timing, and Precognition are all great on Paladins, and Misfortune is great when your army's firepower is based almost solely on Storm Bolters and Psycannons). Alternatively, you could do a true Paladin star and have Draigo, which fixes issues like Ion Accelerators/Demolishers wiping the squad as soon as you fail an Invisibility casting, can Gate of Infinity them about the place, and can solo most units when he splits off for the push on turn four or five, but also makes them pretty darn expensive.

Loth can hide behind a screen of Paladins with his 2++ FnP if you're really concerned about his survival, but I wouldn't say it's an issue in a unit of Paladins with Invisibility up.

I personally haven't found the Vortex of Doom to be all that good - a small blast makes it fairly inconsequential in terms of models hit, and the fact that it doesn't Ignore Cover unless you roll a 6 is a huge limiter. I tend to find it roughly equitable to a Meltagun, but requiring six or seven precious Warp Charge dice (that I need for Invisibility and to fuel my Hammerhand/Sanctuary activations) makes it far more expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that Paladins are still far to over priced for what they bring. They are fun but as soon as you get things that insta death. They lose their value. Not sure what type of armies you play up against though. In my area Paladins are a no go. Now that termis are super cheep. I would prob stock up on them more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey have you tried out your list yet? I am keen to hear how it went. I tried something similar except I used a cen-star. For me it turned out a bit boring because invisibility is so good that not a single unit from my squad died despite 4 whole turns of complete shooting from opponent:angry:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Altough this list would totally wreck my poor CSM list in a friendly game, i fail to see how it could possibly beat or even compete in a tournament environ like the Las Vegas Open, where some crazy truly cheese competitive list are seen.
Specifically, terminator deathstars are, in my opinion, lackluster, unless buffed with an incredible amount of psy/special abilities...but then EVERYTHING else just becomes good, buffed in that way.
So, in a competitive mindset, how would you fend off 4 Flyrants or 100-150 boyz? With such an amount of shooting / melee it's not a great deal to remove 5-10 terminators a turn.
Consider that i'm not an expert at all, so i might miss something, but wouldn't you be better served in removing the scorpions and doubling up in Grey knights? Same number of 2+ bodies but with an increased punch, imo. Also, another inquisitorial Hq with liber heresius might be cool. Also, paladins, imo, are quite overcosted. Better to take terminators?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts